Planet Fitness

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by bbymks5, May 26, 2018.

1. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I signed up for Planet Fitness online today, the one in my area is supposed to open in June sometime.

Does anyone else go to Planet Fitness, how do you like it?

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I don't now, but if they built one closer, I'd consider joining again!

I have had a membership there in the past when I lived closer to a facility. I've been a member of 3 different PF. I liked it. I really liked their 30 minute circuit training. I liked the description of a "beginner's gym". It's not intimidating, I mean it's mostly purple and yellow! And the one's I went to, had a women's weight room which was nice when I was brand new to the gym. It had the major cardio equipment available, basic weights, and the weight machines. I know there's a lot of bad mojo over the weight machines, but for just learning the form, I liked using the machines even if they aren't as difficult as free weights.

If you are a tootsie roll fan, beware! They always have a dish of them on the desk as you check in or out. And of course, beware of Pizza Night and Bagel Morning. Because it smells really good on pizza day - so I would avoid the gym that day (once a month).

bbymks5 likes this.
  3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

My daughter and husband joined recently - it's so inexpensive. My daughter joined bc her friend did - and bc they have erg machines so she can practice rowing in the off season. My husband joined so my daughter has someone to go with when her friend isn't available. Plus, we don't have a treadmill at home anymore (we have a Treadclimber and bike) ... my husband liked the idea of having access to a treadmill when he can't run outside. They have plans as low as $10 a month. And they liked the notion that you can use any PF facility anywhere.

I had no idea there were tootsie rolls, pizza and bagels??? But I googled and found the back story. I'm tempted to join too. I like the judgement free zone concept! :agree

bestcee and bbymks5 like this.
  4. bbymks5

@bestcee @jenn mccabe Right for $10.00 or $22.00 a month I couldn't say no! I did start out with the $10.00 a month one b/c it didn't require a year contract to be signed, but I may upgrade to the other one later.

The 30 minute circuit was a huge selling point to me! When I was a member of Curves YEARS ago I loved that I was able to be in and out in as little as half an hour or I could do the circut a couple times if I wanted too.

The newbie/judgement free atmosphere was another huge selling point! I remember in my late teens I jointed Bally's Total Fitness, and even being fit to begin with a tiny I never felt comfortable going in and I couldn't cancel my membership so that was a huge waste of money!

Someone will have to slap my hand when I reach into grab a Tootsie Roll though...I love those things!!

They don't have an open date, other than June...but it cannot happen soon enough! I want to start now LOL!

bestcee and jenn mccabe like this.
  5. bestcee

Oh, I always grabbed one Tootsie roll on every visit. But only 1. And I used it as a motivator to go....I love Tootsie rolls!
    Honestly, I had the $20 at one, so my husband could always be my guest and didn't need a membership. The others, we were both $10 members. I never used the benefits of the higher membership.

bbymks5 likes this.
  6. bbymks5

@bestcee Yeah, I wasn't sure if I would use the other benefits of the higher membership along with having to sign a contract...I know I won't use the tanning beds (ain't nobody got time for skin cancer!) and idk about the massage chairs...kind of heebies me out thinking of other sweaty people laying on them before me LOL! BUT being able to bring Garry would have been nice, but I don't know how often he'd go with me??

bestcee likes this.
  7. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

I could get into the idea of a Tootsie roll at the end of my workout as a tasty but measurable (pre-packaged, small) reward. The pizza thing is a big strange.

8. bbymks5

@Aerobigirl The pizza is a little left field for a gym for sure LOL!

9. bestcee

Or a good way to keep clients! :giggle

Aerobigirl and bbymks5 like this.
  10. bbymks5

So true LOL!! They need to hurry up and open, I'm excited to get started, but I'm a afraid that excitement will fizzle if it takes too long to get started!

bestcee likes this.
  11. pagefrocks

pagefrocks ♥•:*¨¨*:•♥•:*¨¨*:•.♥

My husband lost over 50 pounds by going consistently. My son, who is a gym junkie at 22 and in the military so serious about fitness, loves it . . . and then fell in love with the assistant manager at ours! I've visited and enjoy that it's "real" people doing their best. It's not hard to jump right in with the self directed area or get help from the staff when needed.

12. bbymks5

@pagefrocks Oh this makes me happy to hear!! Mine has finally opened as of the 1st, I think I'll go Monday after the initial rush of everyone who signed up wanting to get their cards etc.

bestcee likes this.
  13. bestcee

Wahoo! I'm glad it's open finally!

14. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I was wondering if opened yet @bbymks5 ! Congrats to your husband @pagefrocks - that's impressive!

15. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

We just had a Planet Fitness open as well, and I am so tempted to join. My only issue is that it's about 15 min away and while that doesn't seem like much, it is in the opposite direction of my work. So, while I know I'll go this summer, once I go back to work, will I want to drive the 40-45 min home and then another 15 min or so to the gym? :giggle