August 2018 Book Club - The Great Alone

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

The votes are in and we have our next batch of books for 2018! Woo-hoo! :) Like I've been doing the last couple of times, I am posting the next few months (May-August) all at once, so we can all get these books on hold at our libraries in time. :) The book we will be reading for August 2018 is The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. Please label spoilers or even type them in white like I just did right here (highlight that blank space) so that a person has to highlight it to read it.

[​IMG]

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  2. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Just finished - LOVED!

Karen likes this.
  3. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I was just coming on here to tell you all to read this book. Just read it AND LOVED IT!!!

Karen likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yay! I'm glad you loved it! I've heard nothing but good reviews on this one and can't wait for it to be my turn at the library! :)

5. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I just finished this one last night- like could NOT stop reading & ended up going to bed WAY too late & woke up with puffy eyes from balling at the end. It was a GREAT book! Rest of my opinions in white:

I LOVE how Leni felt she had to tell her story about what really happened with her dad. I'm glad that she had friends in high places & didn't have to go to jail, but I felt telling the truth just really was 'her character' I also had a suspicion that Matthew would be better & was actually happy that he wasn't 'back to his old self!' I'm happy that the author went with a more authentic happily ever after than a fairytale like ending. :)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  6. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I had to read this fast because I forgot it was due back to my library :-/ it was a good read but it drained me emotionally. I need a light read next.

7. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

I normally avoid contemporary fiction because it's too real for me but I'm picking this up just for TLP. I don't want to cry though, I'm an ugly crier.

Karen, bellbird, umyesh and 1 other person like this.
  8. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I cried multiple times but I'm a big baby.

Karen and bellbird like this.
  9. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

Kristin Hannah is my favorite author, at least currently :) The Nightingale is one of my top 10 of all time so I was super excited when this one came out. I purchased it the day it came out and promptly finished it within a few days (I wasn't working at the time it came out). My thoughts: I loved this story, even though it dealt with some tough topics. The book engulfed me with a range of emotions, from excitement to frustration to satisfaction with the way it all ended. I couldn't put it down!

Karen and Sokee like this.
  10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Started this last week - only a few months late - i'm already in awe of anyone that lives in Alaska!

Karen likes this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

( these poor people! - i'm abut 80% thru and really hope this has a happy ending! )

Karen and amien1 like this.
  12. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Right!? I have a whole new respect for the Bush ;)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Oh man! Are all Kristin Hannah's books like this? (white) I'm feeling worn out and really i haven't done anything! I had to stop a few times just to breathe - i'm confused though - didn't matthew appear in the park when she was there on a picnic before she went back to alaska? maybe i didn't understand that part right ??
    (And LOL i thought this was the April book and i was late to the party - now i'm feeling a bit ahead of the game for August even if i haven't read June's yet!)

Karen and MrsEm like this.
  14. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I may pass on this one because having been to Alaska it's sure not my favorite place. I would never have made it as a homesteader/pioneer etc. I get it but it just depresses me to read stories about that kind of life.

Karen likes this.
  15. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I'm on a roll! Finished this book and it's only July!

I love everything Alaska and this book was great. But, oh, that man! I would have killed him long before Cora finally had enough and shot him. I felt so bad for Leni, having to live with knowing he was beating her mother.

So many losses. I really didn't see the fall coming and Matthew getting hurt so badly. What a great ending, though, with the 2 of them being reunited, and meeting his son for the first time.

Karen likes this.
  16. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

The description interests me!

Alas! The situation at my library discourages me. Especially because I have a stack of books already waiting for me to read. Well, maybe I'll put it on hold anyway . . . :D
    Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 12.30.11 PM.png

Karen likes this.
  17. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I definitely made a decision to pass on this one. My friend had a copy and was going to loan it to me but when I expressed my serious dislike of Alaska and all that the state seems to represent she said No, I'd hate the book. In the end I got a copy of the PlayAway version but realized I wouldn't spend the hours it represented to listen to it. So no, not for me.

18. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I wasn’t sure what to expect with this one. I’ve heard mixed reviews on it. So, I was really surprised with this one. I loved it.

19. southernmother

southernmother Headed to SB for some cold brew & coconut milk

Just got this book and am looking forward to it.

20. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I just received notification my copy is available today, and I didn't even remember this was the book for August. I thought it was one of the ones I voted for in the poll for our Autumn reading, because I put a couple of those on hold already too. (I was surprised to think I was receiving one so soon!) So what a wonderful double surprise to see I got the book in time to read it in the assigned month! :D

Karen likes this.