Severe Weather ... schools closed today.

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jenn mccabe, May 16, 2018.

1. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Sounds scary. Glad you are all safe!

2. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Didn't hear about NY having this issue. My inlaw family peeps are there!
    Tornadoes have increased in location and number exponentially the last 3 years. We had a lot in Indiana, a few in Ohio and of course in Texas. But the past 3 years the Carolinas have had quite a few. We had one jump our house 3 years ago and take out trees all around us and straight down the street. But missed our house and the oaks around it. (Thank God:angel). It sounded just like a frieght train coming down the street. Hurricane Hugo ( many moons ago!) we left the Beach and traveled to Monroe NC to get away but a tornado flew over our hotel- with the three of us in the bathtub(for safety)! Lol.

3. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Yikes, I’m glad you were able to ride it out, but I hope you town was not damaged to badly.

4. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Leah @mommyish has posted some pretty crazy pics on her fb of this storm! She may not even see this as last I saw- she wasn't going to have power for awhile!

Stay safe gals! :)

5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

a lot still without power ... kids going back to school - but one elementary school (which was in the worst of it) still has no power - so they are on a delay. i hope leah gets power back soon. i am hoping for blue skies instead of grey!!!

amien1 likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yikes! Some crazy weather stories in here! Glad you guys survived it all okay... that sideways rain sounds especially crazy!

7. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

The weather really has been frightening lately. We seem to have avoided the most serious winds here but I saw the terrible flooding out in Frederick MD and the threat of the derecho in VA. It's a minor complaint but I had hoped to go down to NC this weekend and darn if it isn't rain and thunderstorms all into next week there and here. I hate the idea of driving on the Interstates in that kind of weather. :badmood

8. jenn mccabe

100% agree about all of this stinky weather @cookingmylife - we are traveling this weekend and the whole weekend is sup'd to be a total rain out. sorry about your plans to go to NC. April showers bring May showers? I think that's the new phrase? meh.

cfile likes this.
  9. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

At this point, April was March and blew in, and May is full of showers which was April... so June is for flowers?! I have a concert at PNC this weekend... I'm hoping for a dry spell of like 7 hours for tailgating and the show! I need dry days on 5/19, 6/2, and 6/9. Can we arrange that with Mother Nature please... send her some booze, chocolate and extra meds!? Right?! :giggle

jenn mccabe and cfile like this.
  10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@cookingmylife and @jenn mccabe have a good weekend & be safe.. Maureen I am in VB and it is raining here every afternoon with heavy down pours and lightning for about an hour or two around 2 each day through Monday I think... are you going to the outer banks? Whatever you do, be safe. I too dislike traveling in rain.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  11. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

While dh is not a meteorologist, he is retired from NOAA and stats say we'll have a lot of severe weather in the years ahead - mostly caused by human behavior.

I'll send my thoughts to Mother Nature for you Jenn. DH asked me to try for a window of sun so he could ride his bike last week. It worked! LOL

eta: @cfile No beach time for me, inland at Cary. Want to catch eldest granddaughter before she leaves for her UK summer Nanny job.

jenn mccabe and cfile like this.
  12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

oh wow.. I wanna go :) lol well have a nice time Maureen... I want to go back to London, Scotland and want to go to Southern Ireland in the worst way!! I hope she enjoys her Nanny Job.. hope at the end you can go over to spend a few days and relive the sites :) I am enjoying all the royal wedding stuff on TV...going to try and make Sticky Toffee Pudding this weekend..my husband has a hankering for it :) and I found a recipe that looks pretty good :)

jenn mccabe likes this.
  13. jenn mccabe

Oh dear Jenn! What are you seeing? Say hi to Jersey for me! Fingers crossed for a dry spell. But yes, there's always booze LOL :wine ....and Great Adventure style rain ponchos!

cfile likes this.
  14. jenn mccabe

this makes me very sad. but it does indeed seem to be the trend. :(
    enjoy time with the GD!

15. jk703

Ha... Dierks Bentley.. and in June Imagine Dragons. Woot! My music is all over the place! I really really want to see Zac Brown Band. I ordered 5 ponchos and some rain boots!! They arrive today. :giggle

@cookingmylife I agree, we will see lots of worse weather. Karma from Ms. Nature!

cfile likes this.
  16. jenn mccabe

wait what! ID at PNC? Didn't we have some deal that we'd go if they came to PNC or am I imaging that, LOL? I don't see a message or an email about that missy! I just texted my mom and my daughter, who worships ID with all her soul. Are you on the lawn for that Jenn and what did you pay for tix? I might be there!

17. jk703

OMIGOODNESS, YES... come! 6/9 - We are on the lawn, pray for dry/sun! We are going with other families, DH and my kids are going too! I'm SOOOO beyond thrilled, especially since it's practically in my backyard, and my kids can go. (This weekend is just girls!) Oldest is getting into music! Join us! I think we paid about $60 a ticket.... I think they are around $65 now, then add fees. I remember you saying you were going last summer, but I was at the shore that weekend, I think!

18. jenn mccabe

OK cool on the price. I see them for like $67 plus fees!

We just might come!! Sat is good for us! - my daughter is a yes, husband is probably a yes, and maybe my mom. The only thing is we have a soccer game June 10th (it's her last one -maybe ever! so not sure she wants to miss it!) so have to figure if we can get up early the next morning to drive back to NY in time.