Ampersand?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by mnjenlittle, Apr 22, 2018.

1. mnjenlittle

mnjenlittle Dewey Decimal, I love you!

Ok I confess. I don't get it. All I can think of is that it means and. How did you move past that and embrace it as an element???? I just can't do it! Send Help!

:backing

LoveItScrapIt and Angela Toucan like this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Hmmmm, I don't think I've ever used an ampersand as an element. But I guess I'd use it like a button and just tuck it in somewhere, like in a cluster or to hold down a few word strips. Another idea: a sort of frame, aligned on one edge of a photo.

mnjenlittle likes this.
  3. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I'm not using them all the time, but I love them as a design elements as well as for titles. There are so many great amersands out there that it would be a shame to neglect them. After all, brackets were all the rage years ago (and I still love those, too). No matter if they are not used the way they were originally meant.

I have used a big one for this page and really like how it turned out.

[​IMG]

4. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

I thought the same thing until I saw some used in layouts. Now I think they make a great element.

5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I like them a lot. I've just starting using them. I use them all the time when I'm writing (IRL).

LoveItScrapIt and mnjenlittle like this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

If you think of it as simply a design element (meaning, think of its bold, graphic shape with circular elements that will complement your page), then that might help you get over your fear of using a character in a non-word way. Personally, I think they're fun. On this page, I used it because I liked the blue color of the ampersand itself. It isn't used as a "word" on my page and I didn't even tuck it in among other elements. I'm such a rebel! :smokin
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I love the ampersand as a design element. If I can find a way to work it in to the title I will, but sometimes I just stick it in there and let it go :)

8. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I LOVE them! I like to use them mostly to make more interesting titles. @sahlink Krista created my favorite one in her Me and You kit.

9. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I tend to use them more like Desi @GlazeFamily3 - as part of a title. I do occasionally use ampersand journal cards on my project life pages "just because" though :-)

10. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I'm too much of a word nerd to use it as just any old element but I do love to use them in my titles and on top of/around photos (especially if there are multiple photos on the page so then it's like 'and this picture, too').

I've seriously debated getting an ampersand tat before. :beat

11. mnjenlittle

Thanks everybody!!!!!! Some good ideas. I may just have to go with it and find some fancy ones.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  12. mnjenlittle

This is super cute and I didn’t even notice it at first! Thank you!

LoveItScrapIt and Tree City like this.
  13. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

ha - I just had this conversation with a friend this weekend! Great timing and now I know too....

14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

well i'm on the completely love them side of what's turning out to be this love it or not thread! (and i have been known to ask for ampersand elements in kits and Renne @ForeverJoy has been kind enough to humor me a few times, so blame me, not her, if that's what started this!)

beyond titles when i love them like crazy, i use them as a design element on multiphoto elements to tie photos together
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    i use them as a way of tying a title or wordart to nearby journalling - like an arrow element really
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    and just because - as a scrolly design feature
    [​IMG][​IMG]

ForeverJoy and mnjenlittle like this.
  15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

very cool page and i'm the same:re brackets!

ForeverJoy and Rikki like this.
  16. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I love them anywhere! LOL. Use for a title, between two photos or even in place of an element. I think they can be fun.

mnjenlittle likes this.
  17. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I have used them and have no objection to them . . . they do have a wonderful movement to them and I think are a great addition to a page.

I'd say give it a whirl!

ForeverJoy and mnjenlittle like this.
  18. mnjenlittle

All Very cute!

bellbird likes this.
  19. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I think I like to use them for titles and such... but I think of them literally as the "and" of the stories that might not get written. And then... and... and then... and... etc. Just showing there is more to the pictures, but the story behind it. I know, I'm weird.

20. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

At first I thought I could only use an amperstand for "and", but they have grown on me and I love seeing all the creative uses for them. They really are a great go-to element. @jk703 - I like your idea of it standing for more than just what's on the page. :agree

bellbird and mnjenlittle like this.