Why It Works | Mixing Color with Black & White Photos

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Apr 15, 2018.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

[​IMG]

Welcome to another edition of Why it Works, where we share and highlight a page from an awesome scrapper in our gallery that utilizes a really cool technique, a design trick, a photography tip, journaling ideas or any number of other things to get you scrapping outside your comfort zone. We hope to share and inspire you to try something new, revisit an old technique you may have forgotten about, or maybe just approach that blank canvas in a new way.

So, here are some of the things you can do to be involved in this thread if you want to be.
    1. Ohhh and Ahhh over the awesome layout or project that has been highlighted and head over to the gallery and show the scrapper some love.
    2. Learn something new from the tip or tutorial. It's all about becoming better at our craft! 3. Try the technique yourself and post it in this thread for us to see.
    4. Show off other pages from the gallery that use the technique as well. Be sure to link them so we can give them the love they deserve!
    5. Ask questions about the technique that you may have or tell us how you may do it differently. There are many ways to do these things and this thread is all about the learning!

*note: this is not to be a critique of the page/project in any way, it's all about learning to emulate the awesome technique highlighted. Any negative comments about the highlighted page will be deleted.*
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really love beautiful black and white photos in a layout, but I also love beautiful color photos, so one thing I am really love to see is when one of our amazing scrappers combines the two. I absolutely adore this page by @apottinger , and knew I wanted to showcase it here!!

[​IMG]

She also has this one in her gallery
    [​IMG]

There are lots of reasons to mix black and white with color photos in a layout.

1. When using old photos with newer ones, sometimes the color or quality is a bit off. Changing on or more of the photos to b/w can help them to not appear so drastically different. And along those same lines, if the older photo is already b/w, it can help distinguish the time difference in the photos to tell a story.

2. You may have several photos that you want to use together, but there may be differences in warmth or color or quality. Changing one or more to b/w can help them to flow together on the page and not clash with each other.

3. Sometimes you may have several photos that are really busy. Having one or more that are b/w can cut down on having so much going on and keep the focal point.

4. You can emphasize one photo over several others either by making it b/w and the rest color, or vice versa.

5. It’s a way to use several photos that may be really similar visually and still have them appear unique.

Do you mix black/white and color photos on your pages?? We’d love to see them!!

jenn mccabe and Cherylndesigns like this.
  2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

This is great Jan. It's funny ... I am very drawn to layouts using this technique, as the result is just beautiful, but I don't do it all that often myself. I tend to scrap one photo at a time ... but even on the multi photo pages, I usually go all color OR all B&W. Here are two: (and I had to go digging for awhile).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Making a mental note to scrap more multi photo pages AND to do more mxing of the photos! Great picks Jan and great article!

Vrielinkie and wvsandy like this.
  3. IntenseMagic

Ooooh Love those, Jenn!! I don't do it very often either, but I did write it down when typing this up so that I can give it a go! The only time I really even do multiple photos is PL, and I never even think to do it then. I know there are some great examples of those in the gallery...I need to hunt them down.

Vrielinkie and jenn mccabe like this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Love these pages and ideas!

5. Cherylndesigns

I actually mix color and b&w photos quite often. I particularly like this PL page I created in January. The b&w pictures are very dramatic, yet they work with the colored ones.

[​IMG]

I just posted this PL layout last night and mixed again.

[​IMG]

Mylinn, jenn mccabe and IntenseMagic like this.
  6. IntenseMagic

Love these!! Absolutely perfect!! I don't know why I never thing to do this with PL. I'm about to change that!! Thanks for sharing, Cheryl!!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  7. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

I love this. It is a technique that actually allows both photos to stand out! Very cool and great technique.

IntenseMagic and Cherylndesigns like this.
  8. Cherylndesigns

Do try it. I love mixing them up and I think it's particularly effective for PL. Thanks so much!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I love to mix black and white photos with color photos on layouts... especially Project Life layouts. But I will confess, most of the time I do this because I can't get the colorcast right in the photos I want to use :oops: :giggle

2018iNSD.png

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. fanon

fanon Well-Known Member

11. Li Li Wee

Li Li Wee I create my imagination

Interesting technique!
    [​IMG]

12. fanon

fanon Well-Known Member

13. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Awesome layouts mixing b&w and color.

[​IMG]

14. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

15. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

16. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar