KAPOH

MOC-9-Day-11-Tell Me a Story

MOC-9-Day-11-Tell Me a Story
KAPOH, Jan 11, 2021
Description:
JOURNALING:

YES
I don't know if I've told you the story of how you came into my life. It has been over 12 years and there hasn't been a day that I've not thanked God that my Mama said, "Yes."
That fateful year, I'd retired from a job I loved after over 30 years. Changes made to how we did our work were put into place that, basically, returned our working conditions to where they had been BEFORE I started the job. And those conditions DID NOT WORK. I'd tried my best to let the bosses know this plan was doomed to failure. As George Santayana said, "Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it." And that is what eventually happened. But, I digress.
Also, my Shih Tzu, May-Ling, had become ill and it was obvious that, at age 14, she was heading towards the Rainbow Bridge. So, retiring turned out to be a blessing for me. I was with her in her final days. Anyway...
She passed on during the week of Thanksgiving. I felt so empty, like a piece of me was gone. I needed a "doggie fix."
Since the wintertime was fast approaching and the last time I'd been without a pup in my life had also been in the winter, I knew my nearly-90-year-old Mother would tell me now was not the time to get a new dog. Wait until spring when the weather will be so much nicer for "housebreaking," she would say.
So, I decided I'd volunteer at the Humane Society. I could be around dogs, but not have to be taking a new one of my own out in blustery cold weather to "potty." Anyway, that plan was a disaster! I'd gone through the training to be a volunteer, but, on my first evening there, no one in authority could be found to assign me a job. I just sort of wandered around the place, occasionally checking on the area where the dogs were kept and causing a "hue and cry" when they saw me coming towards their cages because they wanted attention. It seemed I was doing more harm than good. I left early (no one noticed) and never returned.
When I got home, I was very sad. I started looking at the ads for "dogs for sale," just to fill me with pictures of pups that COULD be mine. AND THERE YOU WERE!
The cutest Yorkshire Terrier (mix) I could have ever imagined. I showed your picture to my Mother and asked if I could make an appointment to see you. And, she said, "YES!"
And that is exactly what we did that very next day. (We even stopped at a pet store along the way to buy you your own special new toy.)
But, there is more to the story. When the woman who was part of the rescue group that had taken you and your siblings from horrible conditions in what is known as "an Amish puppy mill," showed you to me, my first impression was, "She has such a big nose."
"Woof!"
Oh, no, no. Don't look at me like that! Your nose is perfect -- for a terrier. But, I'd had Shih Tzus for most of my life and they have lovely FLAT faces, "chrysanthemum-like" they are called. That was what I was used to!
Then I turned you around and exclaimed, "And she has no tail."
"Woof, woof!"
Again, I was used to Shih Tzu's with their fluffy full curved tails coming over their back.
"Woof!"
"I know, Yorkies don't have that. But you ARE supposed to have a bit of a tail back there. Used to pull you away from trouble—
"Woof! Woof! Woof!"
...which Yorkies are prone to get into! You had barely nothing.
I was about to give you a pass. But, then I looked at my Mother. She had this expression on her face that seemed to say she was in the presence of the angels. It was LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT for her. And, now it was my turn to say “yes.”

CREDITS: KITS: "Woof Elements" by Lynn Grieveson; "Love You Beary Much" by Pink Reptile Designs; "Painted Dreams" by Rebecca McMeen; FONT: OldNewspaperType; WORD COUNT: 683
    • Karen
      Awww! I loved reading this and how you and your Mom had a hand in your current doggie coming to you. So sweet.
    • Pups_r_Paps
      Awwww......I have tears in my eyes at such a sweet story. Love the little scene you created in the oval; love how "Pennie" is talking to you when you met her.
    • StefanieS
      Love it, you use your words to build such a fabulous image and I am happy that you found your new furbaby to bless you and your Mama.
    • Roxana
      Your story is so touching! I just love it, it is so sweet! :beat
    • garrynkim
      What a sweet story. I'm sure you are in love with that dog and so happy you got her. Great layout!
    • Saar
      Oh this is so sweet! What a lovely story! I love your take on the challenge. :beat:heartlub
    • ajm
      Lovely story and page! Love the minimalist design!
    • bestcee
      This is so fun! I love that you both decided on yes instead of no. And since it's been 12 years, I'm so glad it worked out for you all! I love the little dog with the woman! It's a great element choice! Thanks for playing in my challenge!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    KAPOH
    Date:
    Jan 11, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    133.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    495px
    Height:
    640px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).