KAPOH

January-20-Storytelling-Ruble/Pубль

January-20-Storytelling-Ruble/Pубль
KAPOH, Jan 21, 2019
Description:
Internet issues tonight!!! BAH!!!! I could NOT get this form to come up so I could upload my layout. (My cable TV was wonky, too [same provider] and the sound kept going in an out during the football game. Good thing I don't need the announcers to know what is going on.) Maybe it was the sub-zero temps; or maybe the lunar eclipse played havoc with the cosmos! Here it is finally.
JOURNALING:
Ruble/Pубль
In 1976, while the U.S. was celebrating its bicentennial, I took my first trip to the Soviet Union, fulfilling a childhood dream. And the dream was as wonderful in reality as it had been in my head.
One evening after shopping in Moscow, the group was sitting around talking about the experience and several of them pulled out the Russian coins they had received in change from the stores. They were mostly kopeks of various denominations, but some people had ruble coins. (100 kopeks = 1 ruble). I had one, too. We held out our coins, but mine wasn't the same as all the others. Then I took a closer look at mine and realized I had a special coin that had been struck in 1967 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Russian revolution! During our 10 day trip, no other commemorative ruble showed up. I was the only one who had that special piece. Needless to say, it was put in a secure place so I wouldn't accidently spend it.
Pictured below on the "reverse" side is Lenin with his right arm raised, a star, and CCCP (translation: USSR).
The "obverse" shows the coat of arms of the Soviet Union and the lettering
Пятьдесят лет Советской власти
один
рубль
(translation: 50 years of Soviet Power
One
Ruble)
Around the edge of the coin are the years 1917-1967 and the lettering Слава Великому Октябрю (translation: Glory to Great October).
CREDITS: KITS: "Sporty Grungy Solids"-Kristin Aagard; "Winter Games"-Kate Hadfield; MATRIOSHKI: by me; FONTS: OldNewspaperType and Minion Pro
    • Pups_r_Paps
      Wow! What a wonderful “find”. It’s like the travel “gods” were giving you something special to keep as a reminder of this special trip. I like that your BG papers are so the Russian flag colors.
    • jesskab
      How cool that you got the special coin! Thank you so much for joining the storytelling challenge!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 7
    Uploaded By:
    KAPOH
    Date:
    Jan 21, 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    131.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    495px
    Height:
    640px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).