Pups_r_Paps

Jan-11-Tell Me a Story--Why-Columbus?

Jan-11-Tell Me a Story--Why-Columbus?
Pups_r_Paps, Jan 11, 2021
Description:
JOURNALING: It’s September 2019 and my husband and I are getting our house in Florida ready to sell so we can make the move to our dream home in beautiful Savannah GA that we had purchased in June. It’s late at night and Jim has been watching TV in the family room, sitting, as usual, in his lounger; I’ve been in our bedroom also watching TV. When I go into the kitchen to get something to drink, I’m startled by a scurrying palmetto bug. Yuk! I call to Jim to come and get rid of this invader, but he doesn’t answer. I notice that he is asleep so I go over and gently nudge his shoulder – no response. I take hold of his hand and notice that it is slightly cool to the touch; I try but cannot find a pulse. I try his neck – no pulse. In a fog of disbelief, I dial 9-1-1 and report that I think my husband has died. The operator asks a few questions and then asks if I can try chest compressions until the paramedics arrive. I try, but I know it is in vain. Two paramedics arrive and take over trying to revive my husband. Police arrive and maybe also the fire department…by now I’m simply reacting by instinct. I call Jim’s best friend, Mike, and he immediately comes to be with me. Work on my husband stops – he is dead. I call his adult children and break the news to them.

Several hours pass and everyone is gone. I pick up and discard the remnants of the unsuccessful attempt to bring Jim back from the dead. I try to sleep and cannot. I’m existing in a small “box” of the “present time” – it’s not “one day at a time” but “one hour at a time”, just doing what absolutely HAS to be done, nothing more.

At some point I’m asked about our my move to Georgia. I realize immediately that I cannot move to Savannah – that was the dream Jim and I had; I can’t think about moving there without him, going to all the places that we loved; finding new delights that he would never know. Gradually the idea forms that I will move back to Ohio where my only remaining blood relation, my twin sister, still lives and where I grew up – back to Columbus.

Columbus is the capital of Ohio and the most populous city in the state. It has a diverse population and economy, a wide Columbus area with the largest being The Ohio State University. Three years prior to same-sex marriage in the U.S., the City Council unanimously passed a domestic partnership registry. Columbus boasts two international airports in addition to the Ohio State University Airport. The city is home to the current Major League Soccer champions, the Columbus Crew (“Columbus is the only city in history to save their team from moving” according to “Linkedin”); the NHL Blue Jackets call Columbus “home” and the International League Clippers provide exciting minor league baseball. Residents enjoy a world-renowned zoo; art, history and science museums; and a botanical garden that features a permanent collection of Chihuly glass. In 2018 the only National Veteran’s Memorial and Museum opened. Performing arts are well represented by the Symphony Orchestra, Opera Columbus, BalletMet Columbus, and several community theatre groups. The Scioto Mile, located in the heart of the downtown, is comprised of more than 145 acres of parkland along the Scioto River. In addition the city operates 19 metropolitan parks and there are numerous small community parks and open-space areas.

My move to Columbus was completed in May, 2020 – moving during a pandemic was interesting – and I’m now happily residing in a two-bedroom condominium just a short distance from my sister. Being so close to her has been wonderful and healing. I’m eager for the world to return to normal so I can enjoy all the benefits that Columbus provides.

CREDITS: SCRAPLIFT – of “Why Columbus?” by bestcee; KITS: “Moving Day” and “Oh Snap”, Kristin Aagard; “Shutterbug”, One Little Bird; “Florida Cut Outs” and “Ohio Cut Outs”, Scrapping with Liz; “Shine Bright”, Rachel Jefferies; “Light Me Home”, Lynn Grieveson; FONT – Comic Sans; WORD COUNT - 657
    • KAPOH
      Tears. I don't know how you managed those horrible days when Jim died. I'm so grateful you had Mike there. And Jim's son was wonderful to drive you "back home" to Columbus.
    • flowersgal
      Oh I am so sorry to hear of your husband's death and the death of the dream the two of you shared and were ready to embark on. You made a wise decision to go back to a place that feels like home to you and has a sister nearby. Your story is well told and gives the reader a glimpse of Columbus, Ohio. Two of my grandkids graduated from OSU and one still lives there. He likes the vibe of the city. Wishing you continued healing and joy in the days ahead.
    • Saar
      Oh I'm so sorry to read you lost your husband. I hope that scrapping this layout was therapeutic for you. I wish you all the best and I hope you can call Columbus 'home' one day.
    • bestcee
      I love your scraplift! I'm sorry your Columbus move started with such sadness. I hope you are able to get out and enjoy the city this year. It sounds like a difficult decision to make - Ohio and Georgia are very different. Good luck in Columbus! Thanks for playing in my challenge!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 9
    Uploaded By:
    Pups_r_Paps
    Date:
    Jan 11, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    139.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    495px
    Height:
    640px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).