KAPOH

Smoky

Smoky
KAPOH, May 27, 2019
Description:
As a memorial day tribute, I wanted to do a layout about the brave war dogs who have also contributed so much to the preservation of our liberty. I came across a story of a 4# Yorkshire Terrier who was a hero of WWII and lived in my home state of Ohio. Since I have been lucky to have had a Yorkie in my life many years ago and currently share my home with the smartest dog I've ever known, a rescue Yorkie mix, I knew I HAD to do my layout on Smoky. JOURNALING: Smoky Hero dog of WWII "Smoky" was a Yorkshire Terrier incongruously found abandoned in a foxhole during the WWII campaign in the jungles of New Guinea. Corporal William Wynne of Cleveland OH adopted her and she became his companion for the next two years of the war. She reportedly flew on 12 air/sea rescue and photo reconnaissance missions and was awarded 8 battle stars. She survived air raids and a typhoon and even parachuted out of a tree. She saved Wynne's life by warning him of incoming fire on a transport ship. She entertained troops and hospitalized soldiers, and has been described as the first therapy dog. During the Luzon campaign, she dragged a communications cable through a narrow 70' long culvert, saving soldiers from having to drag it above ground. She lived with Wynn in Cleveland after the war and died there in 1957 at the age of 14. She was buried in a WWII ammo box in the Rocky River reservation where, on 11/11/2005 a life-size bronze sculpture of Smoky sitting in a GI helmet was erected above her grave site. It is dedicated to “Smoky, Yorkie Doodle Dandy and Dogs of all wars.”
CREDITS: SCRAPLIFT OF: "Reverie" by Sucali and "Go See Do" by IntenseMagic; IMAGE: by Rave69 at Flickr; KITS: "Sunshine and Daffodils" and "Watercolor Papers" - Sahlin Studio; "Happy" - Mommyish; Valorie Wibbens; Just Jaimee; Kim Jensen; Tangie Baxter; Pink Reptile Designs; Amy Wolff; FONT: Arial; JOURNALING: based on information from Wikipedia and Roadside America.com
Christina W and Cherylndesigns like this.
    • Pups_r_Paps
      OMG - this is just so cute. What a special little doggy. The story is fantastic and the picture is darling!! LOVE the title work.
    • Cherylndesigns
      Dogs are so special and played such an important role in the war. They continue to play an important role in today's society.
    • wombat146
      What a gorgeous memory to share with us! How darn cute is that photo! Stunning work and journaling!
    • Christina W
      What a wonderful story for Memorial Day - thank you for sharing it with us!
    • CharlotteM
      What a wonderful tribute story! It's so amazing what dogs do for us all- thank you for the wonderful layout!
    • bellbird
      love the mashed up combination of the outlined and filled title with the kraft style background & B&W framed pic over paint! beautiful & special tribute page also
    • mcurtt
      A heartwarming story, I had tears in my eyes reading it. I love how you matched the title with the paint splattered under Smoky's photo.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Scraplift Challenge
    Uploaded By:
    KAPOH
    Date:
    May 27, 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    133.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    495px
    Height:
    640px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).