vanessasmed, Feb 1, 2018
Description:
Lynne Marie - Quietude sampler
One little bird - high street stories
Collab: Life is an adventure part 2
Allison Pennington - super special mini bundle 3.0
the golden friends - dorothy font

text:
When I saw the bought ‘knit, swirl’ in the Knit Picks Catalog, it definitely peaked my interest.
I borrowed it from the library, and looked through slowly quite a few times. Many tugged at me,
but I knew it’d be a huge project and that I’d have to decide on just one.
I chose the ‘sheer beauty’. It was pictured in a beautiful lemony mustard colour, and that made me
happy, and so that’s how I came to the decision about which swirl I’d create. I searched for the same
type of colour in the yarn stores but couldn’t find it, THEN came to the conclusion that that colour, as
happy as it made me, may not look the best with my complexion. It was just as difficult to find an
alternate though, as I needed a lace and dk weight to match. At Rivercity yarns, I found a salmon colour
in a gorgeous soft yarn – Debbie Bliss Cashmerino dk (55% merino wool, 33% microfiber, 12% cashmere)
- and a matching mohair lace by Rowan called kidsilk haze (70% mohair, 30% silk). They had JUST
enough materials in that colour (7 balls dk, 3 lace), and I splurged and made the purchase. It was the
priciest thing I’ve ever and perhaps ever will knit: $120. I purchased these in April 2014. I began the
project. Since it begins on the very outer edge of the swirl, the circumference is huge, with many
hundreds of stitches, and doing one row was very time consuming, and even more so on the lace rows.
So, the project was laid to the side, since life was busy enough with a newborn. First pictured, is when I
picked it back up on a road trip Jon and I took to Banff, in March 2015. After that, again, I made very
slow progress on it. In February 2016, I worked hard on it, all day, at a church quilt retreat (that’s right, I
didn’t quilt, I just worked amongst the quilters). I then tried to pick it up more often to finish it off, and
as each row decreased in stitches, it was more and more rewarding to see it come together at a faster
pace, and that was a big ‘push’ for me to complete it. At this point I ran into a snag. Perhaps due to my
lengthening of the sleeves, or a miscalculation in the very beginning, in June I ran short of my Debbie
Bliss yarn! Ack! Rivercity Yarns no longer carried it, and even if I found it, what would the chances be to
find it with the same die lot? Slim. But I did! A small place off the coast of BC, called Great Balls of
Wool, in Powell River, had a ball. She shrink wrapped it and shipped it to me for $15.50 (but I don’t like
to think of the number sum, haha).

I would spend a couple long days at it, and finally, on July 30, 2016, it was done, and I was able to enjoy
wearing that deliciously cozy warm swirl! I love the colour, love how I can wear it different ways, and
often get comments on it at church. Now, Jonny probably doesn’t love how it leaves little mohair fuzzies on
his suit though 
adejong likes this.
    • heathert
      Talk about a project of love! Excellent background to choose with this, and such a great story!
    • cookingmylife
      A terrific story and a stunning sweater, though sweater just doesn't cover it. Creation sounds better! The color coordination of the page is great - love that background paper.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 6
    Uploaded By:
    vanessasmed
    Date:
    Feb 1, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    245.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    430px
    Height:
    430px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).