cookingmylife

18-MOC-31_Then and Now

18-MOC-31_Then and Now
cookingmylife, Jan 31, 2018
Description:
I had several ideas in mind so this took longer than I planned. Oh indecision!!!

When you consider my screen name, CookingMyLife, kitchens really are a big part of my life. I have been fortunate enough to live in many countries and each kitchen taught me something. I did cook a lot in those kitchens except for the Bangkok kitchen. Sadly, I have no photos of that one as it was a separate room, in fact a separate building from out house. Even though we had all the mod cons, most cooking was done over a charcoal fire by our maid and it was great food! But the THEN kitchen shown is one that makes me sad. It was the one in our 3k square foot apartment in Tehran. It was about a 14 square foot room with yes, pink cabinets. In the photo are many appliances that I did use - a cuisinart, an electric kettle, a toaster oven and a microwave. It had a gas stove (yay!) and a large American refrigerator. Why do I feel sad when I look at this photo? It’s because I only cooked there for barely 4 months till we were evacuated during the Iranian revolution. Lots of “If only”s are associated with Iran for me, a country I fell in love with.

But let’s go to NOW. When Dick and I got married, he moved into my 1910 skinny Victorian house. The kitchen was small but well used in the 15 years I’d lived there. One of the things my engineer spouse noticed right away was that there were many faults in that kitchen, a stove that couldn’t boil water, almost no counter space, little storage etc etc. He said ‘What can we do to make this a kitchen you’d love?’ Well, a major renovation started in 2004 and the photo shows the results in 2005. It was a long process and certainly tested our marriage but I’ve got the kitchen of my dreams and he’s had more meals than he could count! Wins all around. (word count 329)

APennington_GetHapp
agenda_MPM_paislee_flair (modified)
jj-stmar2017-ep_arrow heart (modified)
onelittlebird-nosh
sc_cleanandsimplen28
soco_sweetdreams
vw_MakeASticker

Thanks for looking!
cfile and Christina W like this.
    • kimingvtx
      Great story and awesome remodel!
    • cfile
      Beautiful page Maureen. wonderful journaling.. how that must have been having a kitchen seperate from the house.. reminds me of how it was back in the day when you go to williamsburg and see how they lived back in the colonial days. I am glad that Dick made you the kitchen of your dreams and you are happy now :)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 6
    Uploaded By:
    cookingmylife
    Date:
    Jan 31, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    246 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    700px
    Height:
    700px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).