MOC18 D26 - Heritage

MOC18 D26 - Heritage
tinkerbell1112, Jan 27, 2018
Description:
Fancy Whites & Winter Talk by Pink Reptile Designs
All Wrapped Up - Winter by Little Butterfly Wings & Studio Basic Designs

422 words
Journaling reads:

Growing up in Minnesota and North Dakota gave me an entirely different perspective on winter than my kids have today. Cold to them is 45. Cold to me was anything below 0. It seems that any time we have a cold blast here in Texas these stories come out. Yes, I've become that "back when I..." Mom.

One story I love to tell is from when I lived in North Dakota. I can't tell you exactly which winter it was, though I know where we were living. It would have been when I was in 5th or 6th grade, putting it the winter of 1985/1986 or 1986/1987. I think it was 1985/1986 though. My memories of what we did seem to be from a younger age.

I remember we had a large front yard. Asking my Mom about that winter, she confirmed that there was no where to put the snow so the snow plows literally put it anywhere they could - and one of those places was our front yard.

We had driven home from a trip from Minnesota to visit family right after an extremely heavy snow (making me think this is the same snowstorm that covered the windows of Grandma's apartment). Mom said the snow drifts were higher than most of the houses when we arrived home.

Once we were un-buried and life began again, I remember how much fun my brother and I and our friends had! We could climb up that huge snow pile in our yard and use it as a tower. All winter long we were able to play on it - and while I can't remember who played with us, I can certainly remember the feeling of fun I had from that pile of snow. I remember dropping something through a small crevice and not finding it until the snow melted sometime in May or June!

Winters in the North are sure different than in the South. Snow cripples us here even though it only lasts for a day or two. In the North, life keeps moving until you get the next storm on top of the previous storm's snow! Life as a child with all the cold and snow was an adventure. I'm not sure it would be the same word I used if I had to live it as an adult! While I'm sad my kids don't have the winter experiences I did, I can't say I'd be excited to have them as an adult!! I'll keep my Southern Winters
    • rlucasmn
      I can SOOOOOO relate to your story, only in reverse. This southern girl now lives in the frozen tundra and I enjoy watching my kids have the fun that you remember from your childhood.
    • tinkerbell1112
      @rlucasmn awe, that's so neat ! About once a winter i want a good snowstorm and then I'm good Lol
    • Iowan
      I enjoyed reading your story about those Midwestern winters, bitter!!! Great use of word art. Thanks for taking the heritage challenge!!
    • rchansen
      Being from Minnesota I can relate to these sort of winters. While we don't typically get as much snow as I remember us getting as kids, it seems much colder now. I may have to take the inspiration from your page and write my own winter memories.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 6
    Uploaded By:
    tinkerbell1112
    Date:
    Jan 27, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    201.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).