redplaid3

Grammy Day 26

Grammy Day 26
redplaid3, Jan 27, 2018
Description:
Journalling:

These are two favorite pictures of my grandmother, Lillian M. Schofield Palmer. She was born December 23, 1899, in Boston, Massachusetts but grew up in Canning, Nova Scotia. The smaller one is of her and her mother, Phoebe Elizabeth West Schofield. Grammy is about 12 or 13 years old in this picture. The larger picture of her is from 1918. This would have been around the time she started working as a telephone operator or “working in the telephone,” as she said. She loved that job. It was cutting edge technology in those days. All calls were connected by operators.

Her job gave her the freedom to buy beautiful new clothes. This thrilled her. She could describe them in great detail for many years. One story I remember is that she wore a sort-of tube top made out of ribbon under a sheer button-up blouse. Her supervisor told her that was too risqué to wear to work. She was incensed over that her whole life.

Lynn Grieveson "Read With Mother" and "Rosie"
Laurie Ann "Summer Cottage"
Dawn Inskip "Dearest Diary"
Sarah Gleason "We Are STorytellers"
Font: Segoe Script
Etc by Danyale "Morning on the Lake"
Amber LaBau "Jane"

Later, she sought out more adventure and went to Boston to visit her Aunt Winnie and find a job. It was while crossing between Nova Scotia and America that she met her husband, my grandfather, Robert Hughes Palmer. The third picture is the two of them when they married in 1925. She was always ahead of her time. She loved working and always did. She treated me like I was something very special, showering me with clothes and money. I loved her stories, but most of all I loved her.
  • There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 6
    Uploaded By:
    redplaid3
    Date:
    Jan 27, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    334.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    800px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).