cfile

True Story (MOC6 day26 Heritage)

True Story (MOC6 day26 Heritage)
cfile, Jan 26, 2018
Description:
Credits:
Dawn Inskip | A New Chapter - Elements (staple & photo turner)
One Little Bird | Nosh (newsprint leaf)
One Little Bird & Paislee Press Collaboration | A Storyteller
Heather Joyce | The Architect - font
[The sketched edge as a vignette is a photo of my tree that was in the front yard that I ran through akvis sketch plugin. I use this for a lot of my heritage pages so they all match. I duplicated it to place on both right and left edges, after blending into the bg paper I masked out some of the sketch to give the vignette look.]
This is a photo of my Great Grandfather, and the actual newspaper cliping that was in the paper when he died. TFL
--------------------------------------------------
Journaling 330 words: "My Great Grandfather Theodore R Johansen was a handsome man. He was born in 1882 (or 1884) in Copenhagen, Denmark. On the back of this military photo of him, it indicates he was around 20 years old. Other statistics from the photo reflect he was 5 feet 5 1/4 inches tall, weighed around 120 pounds, had blue eyes, light brown hair and had a fair complexion. It is him in his Army uniform, with infantry branch insignia on his cap. He was in the Army serving on a Naval ship enlisting on Aug. 22, 1901. He was appointed an Electrician 3rd Class on Feb. 3, 1902. He was medically discharged from the USS Columbia on May 2, 1902. He married my Great Grandmother Anna Maria Christina Jensen, and they had 2 children...my Grandmother Virginia and my Grand Uncle Theodore. They eventually moved from California to Freeport, Long Island , NY. After working for 15 years as an Assistant Electrical Engineer at Motive Power, he had just started a new position as a Special Assistant at the time of his accidental drowning. He was an enthusiastic lover of water and a keen fisherman, which makes his death so sad, that what gave him pleasure would cause his death. Returning to the landing, from an after dinner sailing on his boat with the family, he lost his footing in the darkness and hit his head in the fall, never returning to the surface. That was Aug. 27, 1924. While that is all in the above article, I was always told that my Grandmother at the age of 16, was the one who found him dead at the boat dock in the water. From this article, it is so nice to see that the people that worked with him liked him, that he was kind, had a big heart and could find the silver lining in the clouds. I wish I could have met him. He was only 40 or 42 when he passed."
jaharvey and dawninskip like this.
    • *gina*
      What a great page - love the journaling. TFS!
      cfile likes this.
    • Karen
      What a sad story... way to young and especially drowning if he loved the water so much. He sure was handsome too. I love the way you've scrapped this story and the extra family history here. I especially love the trees blended into the background
      cfile likes this.
    • cfile
      @Karen Thank you so much Karen. I knew my Great Grandmother, I only wish I had met him. :) I loved making the page.
      @*gina* Thank you so much!!
      Karen likes this.
    • StefanieS
      Fabulous photos and wonderful poignant journaling. I love the way you honoured him and shared his life story.
      cfile likes this.
    • cookingmylife
      Thank you for including your journaling in the credits. Wonderful story, albeit sad.
      cfile likes this.
    • Angela Toucan
      what a beautiful heritage page. I love that you found out so much about him.
      cfile likes this.
    • threadjungle
      Your tree vignette is so appropriate. I like your idea to carry it through an album.
      cfile likes this.
    • cfile
    • Sokee
      I love your background sketch photo, thanks for explaining how you did it!
      I love your heritage pages you have the best photos and always wonderful journaling!
      Very handsome!
      cfile likes this.
    • cfile
      @Sokee Thank you Barbara!! I took the pictures of our Big tree before we took it down. When I ran it through the akvis sketch years ago, I really love how it looked! Thanks again for you sweet comments. Now that my parents are gone, I have all the old family photos. My Mom did all the ancestry stuff so I have it all. It will go to my Nephew down the road so he can carry it on :)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 6
    Uploaded By:
    cfile
    Date:
    Jan 26, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    229.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).