Pups_r_Paps

The-David-Beers-Home - MOC #5-10

The-David-Beers-Home - MOC #5-10
Pups_r_Paps, Jan 10, 2017
Description:
JOURNALING: The history of Columbus Ohio can be seen in its preservation of historic houses. The David Beers home is one such structure.

David Beers came to Ohio in 1802 after a childhood held captive by Indians. He built an 18-by-24 foot log home near the Olentangy River. He operated a mill and raised a large family who would help guide the development of Columbus. In 1899, Conn Baker bought the home and moved it to its present location, 40 E. Norwich Ave, where it was combined with another cabin. The first photo shows the home as it appeared in the December 29, 1904 Columbus Dispatch marking its centennial.

Another article about the home, still in the Baker family, appeared in the Columbus Dispatch in February 2012. The middle pictures are from that article. At the time the structure was still owned by relatives of Mr. Baker.

In December 2012 the building was purchased by Northsteppe Realty. Since it is close to the Ohio State University, it is presently used as a rental. This home is historically significant as the oldest continually occupied residence in Franklin County.

Now that it is owned by Northsteppe Realty, one can only hope that the structure will be maintained. The company does not have a good reputation as a landlord in the campus area. Michael Stickney, broker with the company, is on the board of the Columbus Historical Society so there is cause for hope. He has said, “…we’re quite aware of its historical importance.”

The last two pictures show the house as it appears today - from Norwich Ave (taken by me on 11/6/16) and from the side Street, Pearl (Google Earth 11/20/15).

CREDITS: “Country Road”, Sahlin Studio; “Vintage Pieces #12”, Mommyish; “Time Teller”, etc by Danyale; some photos from the Columbus Dispatch.
jenn mccabe likes this.
    • IntenseMagic
      Very cool photos and wonderful journaling!! I love everything about this page!
    • AnneofAlamo
      I love history and especially American history. This page was a joy to read, and your drop caps are perfect.
    • jenn mccabe
      Your drop caps are so fitting for this story and the theme/look of the page. I love the little scraps of paper w/those letters on them. This 100% looks like it is out of newsletter or travel guide - just way more pretty! Awesome job on the storytelling. I love this! :)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 5
    Uploaded By:
    Pups_r_Paps
    Date:
    Jan 10, 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    128.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    495px
    Height:
    640px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).