dancingJaye

Jan7-heirloomWEB

Jan7-heirloomWEB
dancingJaye, Jan 8, 2023
Description:
January 7 - Heirloom
I used Designed by Soco's Pocket Stories vol. 5 and Forever Joy's Rise and Shine Page Kit

Journaling:
By the time I knew you, your rheumatoid arthritis was so bad that your hands were severely misshapen and you weren’t able to write. Grandpa wrote the notes on all our birthday cards and signed your name. When Mom asked if anyone wanted your recipe box, I jumped at the chance. I was thrilled to see your handwriting, clear and strong. Opening that box and seeing your personality in the pen strokes stirred me and created such a longing in me to know you before your illness. Knowing that you wrote these recipes as a young bride in the 1920’s filled me with curiosity. Some of the recipes were simply lists of ingredients and an oven temperature, like an episode of Greatest British Baker in the technical round. I haven’t made many of them, but we have tried your traditional New Year’s Carrot Pudding.

Your life has been such a great example to me. Things didn’t go the way you planned, but you pushed forward and made the best of things, and didn’t let it stunt you or make you bitter. You are inspiring and I love you.
zotova and mary kate like this.
    • mary kate
      This is really special. I love your grandmother's recipe box, and I love your journaling.
    • scrapchyck
      So poignant! And what a cute and precious heirloom you inherited! Love the muted tones you chose...the journaling cards are just perfect.
    • cfile
      This is beautiful Jaye! I love not only seeing the recipe box with the adorable chicken on top, but also the photos of a younger picture of her around the time she would have written the recipes and then a photo of your grandparents to tie everything all together. (Beautiful couple, BTW, and your Grandmother was a stunner!!!) Your journaling is fantastic and I am so glad you have this box of treasures. I agree re the handwriting bringing the personality and the person to life as it is unique only to them. Your scrapping of these photos is wonderful and I smile reading that you tried to make a few of her recipes but there was only ingredients and an oven temperature. Alot of recipes back then they did from memory! Love it though and your wonderful page! Thank you for sharing and for playing along with the MOC11 Day 7 Heirloom challenge! Beautiful page and tribute to your sweet Grandmother!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 11 - Coming Home
    Uploaded By:
    dancingJaye
    Date:
    Jan 8, 2023
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    198.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).