jang

W 7 16 22 X

W 7 16 22 X
jang, Jul 16, 2022
Description:
Rachel Jeffries - Riding the Rails
Night Train 315, Tropical Signature, and Times New Roman fonts
One of the highlights of my summer was the day we would go to the House of David park and ride the train. We got to do that once a year. This was in the 1950s. Unfortunately, there are no photos so I had to take these off the internet.
I find it interesting to see the pictures because in my mind the train was big, maybe because I was young and small.
The House of David was an interesting group. They were ahead of their time in that they were vegetarian. We never got to buy any food there because it was too expensive. Rich said his uncle once bought some and it was pretty good according to him.
Rich remembers going there when his uncles were visiting. He said they would go to the beer garden and sit and visit. He said it was so boring for him as a kid to sit for such a long time with just a soft drink. He doesn’t remember ever riding the train.
My parents never took us on vacation except to go to my grandparents in Evansville. One year I was so excited when we went to my grandparents because we were actually going to take the train and go to St. Louis. I couldn’t wait for a chance to go someplace new. It broke my heart when I got German measles and the trip was canceled. We never did go.
I am thankful we got to go to the House of David, to Silver Beach, and to Tastee Freeze once each during the summer. But, I would so like to have actually traveled somewhere.
Rich’s family also did not take many trips which is why when we got together we traveled as much as we could. I absolutely love taking a road trip.
LynnG likes this.
    • mcurtt
      I'm glad you were able to capture some internet photos for your childhood memories. I like how you have everything in b&w&gray. And loved reading your journaling. Bummer about German measles. But like you, we never went anywhere, other than that one trip to Eureka Springs and the following summer. Oh wait, there was the occasional trip to Lake Geneva... My parents didn't drive, but there were 3 uncles that lived in the flat below us that transported us for outings. But mostly I hung out at home with friends and we'd go to one of Chicago's Lake Michigan beaches.
    • flowersgal
      I like how you used photos from the internet to illustrate your story. What an interesting adventure but sorry German measles kept you home from one. And glad you got to travel later in life.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Speed Scraps
    Uploaded By:
    jang
    Date:
    Jul 16, 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    155.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).