cla

MOC 10 #26 Mary

MOC 10 #26 Mary
cla, Jan 27, 2022
Description:
Remembrance or Tribute Layout
I chose remembrance with some tribute included. (352 words)
Journaling: My Great-Grandmother Mary Dale was a huge part of my young life. My Grandmother, her daughter Helen, had many health problems so Great-Grandma was the one who often took care of us at various times; usually during the times when mom had a new baby.

A few times a year Great-Grandma would take us one at a time overnight. I don’t remember specifically all the things we did together, but I do remember the “croup cough balls”. I remember pretending to have a cough so she would make me the remedy of little balls of real butter (we always had only margarine at my house) rolled in sugar. This was always a favorite treat we only got at Great-Grandma’s house, and I’ve never had it since! (Eating a ball of butter coated in sugar sounds far less delicious now.)

Great-Grandma was so well-loved by all her family because she exuded love. She went to as many events as she could and never forgot a birthday with a handwritten card. She also wrote letters a few times a year, especially to those serving missions, in the military, or away at college. She always gave wonderful counsel and you never felt that she was lecturing you. Her advice always seemed very wise and you wanted to follow it because you knew it came from her heart and her own life experience.

It wasn’t until several years after her death that we learned about some of the hard things she experienced; including the birth of her first child (my grandmother Helen) in 1915. Her boyfriend left to serve in World War I and didn’t know she was pregnant. Grandma had her daughter and a few years later married William Dale. She always treated my mother and one of her daughters-in-law, who were divorced women, with special understanding and love. It became clear why she cultivated these two special relationships when the actual circumstances of my grandmother’s birth was known. I’m sure Great-Grandma endured much harsh judgement herself and she never allowed that make her bitter. Instead, she was kindness and compassion personified. What an angel!

Trust the Journey: Stay Patient Bundle by Rachel Jeffries
font - terracotta
LynnG and AllisonPennington like this.
    • cfile
      What a beautiful photo of your Great Grandmother and what a special tribute and memory this is. Your journaling is so wonderful and I giggled at the "croup cough balls".. I bet that really worked though for the "real coughs" as the butter when melted probably coated the throat. Those of that generation really had the old tricks and could fix us all right up!

I love the papers, paint and ephemera you used to adorn your photo. Beautiful!

Thank you for sharing your journaling with us and playing along with MOC Day 26 Rememberance/Tribute challenge! Well done!
      cla likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 10
    Uploaded By:
    cla
    Date:
    Jan 27, 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    135.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).