meagan43

Bringing The Toys To Life

Bringing The Toys To Life
meagan43, Jan 12, 2021
Description:
MOC 2021 - Day 11 - Tell Me A Story
This story is 926 words told in 9 parts (not including title or subtitles)
I used Kim Jensen's Friend in Me kit (reds are recolored). I didn't use a template, but took inspiration from lots of templates include Sahlin's May 2015 Blog Challenge, Scrapping with Liz Focal Point and others - the rest I just added and deleted.
Journaling Reads:
Bringing the Toys to Life

Toy Story was such a great theme for us to create as a group costume for the Mickey’s Halloween Party. We started working on our costumes back in September by first doing research on the internet and picking which character each of us would be.

First up was transforming Frank into Woody. We looked all over for a yellow shirt that had the red checks like Woody’s shirt. I ended up having to buy a yellow one button-up shirt and then drawing my own red lines by hand, I also added super large white buttons to the front. I purchased the cow print to make the iconic cowboy vest complete with giant pull string in the back. I also made his gun holster with a leather-like vinyl to match Woody’s empty gun holster - complete with gold star and red gem. Sherre created the cow head emblem that is on Woody’s buckle at work and I added it to a belt buckle covered in gold duct tape we used from my Grandpa! We purchased the hat, handkerchief and sheriff’s badge at the Halloween and party stores.

Of course, you can’t have a Toy Story theme without Buzz Lightyear! This costume couldn’t be any easier since it was what started the whole theme! Conner LOVED Buzz and especially his costume which we already had. This was the deluxe costume, so it had removable wings. It did not have his iconic helmet or purple hood, so we did made one for Conner to complete the look.

A surprise hit was my Bo Peep costume. I didn't expect it to be so popular. I ended up finding the fabrics at the local flea market. My mom and I worked together to sew my costume pieces. For the most part, everything had to be made from scratch - from her bonnet and yellow yarn hair (yep, had to sew in those sausage curls), her dress (of course with its special pink polka dots and princess top) and all the way down to her bloomers. I even found a lamb stuffie that I converted into a purse! I did buy her shepherd's crook online.

While I don’t have any pictures of Sherre putting together her Jessie costume, she put a lot of work into it. She sewed on the special yellow shoulders with iconic red trims and matching large wrist cuffs to a white western shirt. Then, she made her own cow print “chaps” to add to her jeans. She altered a Bullyseye stuffie to be a purse the same way that I did by cutting open its back, removing the stuffing, adding a liner, strap and zipper. She did find her Jessie hat online.

All while helping with my costume, my mom made her own costume. She chose a character where there aren’t patterns for it. She had to create a rounded body suit and then make a bikini to attach to it that matches the Troll figure. She made skin colored gloves and the big ears of a Troll. Her biggest hurdle though was pink hair that stands straight up. She bought a bright pink wig and spent quite a lot of time trying to make it stand straight – much harder than it seemed.

The girls both wanted to be a Barbie – luckily there is more than 1 Barbie. Riley chose Tour Guide Barbie. We found the perfect navy sheath dress for her size online and found the pink belt, purse, and shoes locally. There were 2 things that you really can’t just buy though…that super cute vintage navy pillbox hat that stewardess’ used to wear and her name badge. Having a grandma that works at a trophy and engraving company has huge perks. She made Riley the Barbie name badge and one for the hat as well. Then, I handmade the hat out of cardstock and covered in fabric.

Serafina wanted to be Exercise Barbie. Now, for adults, you can get an aqua body suit – as a little girl, not so much. We finally settled on matching leggings and tank top. She wore her pink sequin tennies even though Barbie had heels –she couldn’t have walked in heels! We bought a pink gym bag & belt then finally found the rainbow-striped leg warmers at the Halloween store.

Last, but not least, Kelly really wanted to be one of the Green Army Men. There really wasn’t much to go on to make a boy look like an all-green plastic toy! First thing was to find him some army fatigues that would fit him. We lucked out and found a rummage sale with lots of sizes, even a small set. We got a jacket and pants. At the Surplus Store, we found him a helmet, canteen, belt and boots. The first step was to take these real Army items and make them look like large plastic toys. We had Kelly put on the clothes and we literally painted him standing there! It was so funny as Frank rolled the paint onto Kelly. It was cold and it seeped through the layers and painted his skin underneath green, too. Once dried the semi gloss paint was sort of stiff and shiny, just like a toy!! For the helmet, and other hard items, we just painted them separate. The green cotton gloves didn’t work as great since they harded and he needed them to flex more (next time, buy gloves!) We bought green face paint at Spirit and I made a green hood/cap to hide his hair.
    • garrynkim
      Wow, that was a lot of work, but so worth it! You all look fantastic!! I love your title along the side of the layout and the blocking is so cool. I like the Toy Story accents scattered throughout your layout!
    • umyesh
      What a fun story to tell! I love your title along the left side.
    • bestcee
      Those are super cool costumes! I love the story of how each was put together. Do you have a larger photo of yours? I'd love to see it. Thank you for playing in my challenge.
      meagan43 likes this.
    • meagan43
      @bestcee - Thanks and yes, we did get some group photos (which I hope to scrap soon) although I wish that we had more "professional" photos of each of us. I feel like everything was rushed.
      [​IMG]
    • bestcee
      @meagan43 that is awesome!! It looks so great all together!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    meagan43
    Date:
    Jan 12, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    440.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px
    Date / Time:
    2021:01:12 07:09:30

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).