barbaraj

Horse Dreams

Horse Dreams
barbaraj, Jan 12, 2021
Description:
On the Sunny Side by NBK Design
https://the-lilypad.com/store/nbk-On-the-Sunny-Side.html
Journaling:
We all know that a lot of young girls dream of having a horse. For my daughter and I those
dreams came true. We have a long history of owning lots of different horses through the years.
I had many wonderful adventures with mine and also some scary moments. Back when it was safe for me to ride by myself through the woods and along country trails I had many hours of such
enjoying times. My first horse was a Palomino which to this day is my favorite type of horse.
But when I first went to get on her she turned her head and tried to bite me! My father was
there and swatted her on the nose and she never tried that again. As we got to know one another I was soon riding her in the pasture without a saddle or a bridle. She was very easy going and not at all like the next horse I bought. A thoroughbred can have a much more belligerent attitude as I soon found out. I was constantly fighting her to get her to do what
I wanted. One day she threw me off and knocked the breath out of me. Needless to say I didn't
have her for long. As the years went by I always tried to have a horse, even when I went off
to teach school. For over 40 years I enjoyed this great hobby.
Did you know there are different ways of riding? I grew up on the West Coast and there they use Western saddles which are so comfortable and easy to use. But by the time my daughter got
her first horse we were living on the East Coast where English saddles are used. And with that of course go horse shows. And to get to a horse show you need a trailer. We spent many many days at horse shows and every time she went over a jump I held my breath.
I soon saw that my daughter was going to follow in my footsteps. But she outdid me in a big
way! Her first horse was a little Arabian that was just the right size for her. However he had the personality of a two year old toddler and was into everything. He soon learned how to open the stall door and was often able to escape the pasture. He led the other horses across the neighbor's lawn and left it full of divots. There were a few other horses over the years until it was time for her to go to college. Then I made her sell the current one. I didn't want to take care of that horse for the next twenty years. But she foiled me. She wrote home that she had just bought a horse at college. (Of course she chose a college with an equestrian team with a barn and indoor arena.) But the story doesn't stop there. She took that horse to medical college in Ma., to her residency in Texas, to a 3 month study in Maine and then to her first job in New Hampshire. By then this horse was getting old and it was time for a new one.
Her search led her to one all the way across the country in Washington State. She had him shipped and I won't tell you what he cost but let's just say I'm glad she has a doctor's salary!
We are both so happy our horse dreams came true.
katell likes this.
    • katell
      My daughter has the same dream ;-) love your storytelling!
    • bestcee
      Oh how fun! I love the ingenuity of your daughter to buy a horse at college. I love how you scattered the different photos of the horses through your story. Thank you for playing in my challenge.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 9
    Uploaded By:
    barbaraj
    Date:
    Jan 12, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    126.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).