HeatherB

MOC 9 JANUARY 2: Why I Scrap

MOC 9 JANUARY 2: Why I Scrap
HeatherB, Jan 2, 2021
Description:
For the MOC 9 JANUARY 2 Challenge - Journaling Why I Scrap:

My journaling:
This is what my husband inherited from his parents: a huge collection of interesting photos where a large number of them he has little to no idea of when it took place, who is in what picture, what is happening, and whether it is a significant event or a special little moment. Unfortunately, he lost his parents at a young age, his father at 15 and his mother at 17. So he doesn't have anyone to ask about the photos (his brother and sister aren't much help in discovering who and what they are about) and that is kind of sad. And I know without being intentional, that is likely what I'd be leaving to my kids. My memory isn’t perfect, and I don't want that for them. I want them to know their childhood stories, so they can pass them on to their own kids, and so on.
So I made a decision, to combine photos and words to preserve the memories of special days, little moments, and unique situations, so that my kids will know the stories of their childhood and maybe even a few from their parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. This included the big things (holidays, birthdays, and milestones) and the little things (sports teams, personal moments, everyday happenings, and special times together). Early on I was very good at taking photos all the time (all the time!). But I wasn’t quite as good at keeping track of what was happening in the photos and what prompted me to take them.
To actually put everything together in the form of scrapbook pages came at a very intense time during our past. Our second son had just been born very early and the NICU actively encouraged the parents to scrapbook and even had a room set aside with donated paper scrapbooking supplies to help us get started. For some of the parents, those simple stories following the (very) early births of their children were the only memories that they had, since not everyone was fortunate enough to be able to take their kids home from the hospital. We were some of the lucky ones: after 73 days, our son came home and made up for his early start with lots of enthusiasm! And I started a new hobby – scrapbooking (when I had a free moment)!
Even so, I dithered with paper scrapbooking, never feeling comfortable cutting those amazing papers and committing to a page design. I still have page sleeves containing photos and matching papers that still have to be completed. That lack of productivity led naturally to digital scrapbooking, where I found I could cut, reuse, repurpose, and redo to my hearts content. That is when my scrapbooking really took off. And once I actually started printing my scrapbook pages in books for everyone to enjoy, things really came together. It is so satisfying to watch the kids enjoying leafing through the books and laughing at cute pictures and stories from their childhood.
They may not be that interesting to people who don't have a first-hand connection to the people in the stories, but they aren't written for them. They are written for my kids and hopefully they will be a treasure for those that will follow. A way for them to relive those moments that make up who they have become!

---> 557 words

Nostalgic Elements, Papers, Date Labels, and Alpha by Pink Reptile Designs
Dear Dad (white paper) by Designed by Soco
Shadows {Dressed Up} by Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs
CU/PU Stylin' #206 Realistic Shadows for Adobe CC by Mommyish
September 2018 BYOC Sticker Styles by Mommyish
Font: Fruitz
    • breeoxd
      Whoa, you got this done in a jif! I love the clusters of photos on each side- nice work!
      HeatherB likes this.
    • SeattleSheri
      This is so wonderful Heather! I love your journaling :heartlub I'm sorry to hear your son was in the NICU for 73 days, that is a long time. Two of my sons were hospitalized for a week and it felt like an eternity, I can't imagine over 2.5 months! I always find it so interesting how people started scrapping and what motivates them to keep doing it. I recently came across some albums of family photos (some of which are over 100 years old). Some are dated and have names and others don't. It's nice that we can put words with our photos.
      HeatherB likes this.
    • umyesh
      I love the layout of your page and I love your challenge. Thanks for the wonderful inspiration!
      HeatherB likes this.
    • CharlotteM
      very beautiful page, love your journaling!
      HeatherB likes this.
    • Donitab
      Beautiful - I love the “From this... To this”
      HeatherB likes this.
    • MrsPeel
      well, I have to say, you know I LOVE the page, but I think if there was a perfect host for this challenge, that has to be you. I love the way you scrap, always, no matter what style, you always touch my heart and make my jaw drip with your ability to either fill the page or make it minimalist-ish..... you do know I feel like part of their growing up, and I KNOW they will treasure the books with all their love.... we have similar thing with my mum and dad both having tons of photos going to the 1930s.... there are a LOT of people they had no clue whop they were... I am still to put those old photos into a book, I leave my own story to make the page for the challenge, but I had to come here to (at least get started!) catch up with you, THANK YOU with all my heart fro the FFave, I had not had much of a brain in the past couple of weeks for socials so I had not seen it..... you made my heart so very happy and my day is now a lot brighter, this is awesome, and I know you are inspiring so many of us.... LOVE YOU!!!!!! of to spend a bit more time in your gallery!!!!!!
      [​IMG]
      HeatherB likes this.
    • Claire Grantham
      This is great Heather. Love the from and to, great way to scrap the amazing gift you are giving your kids. I loved this challenge. Hearing how people got started and why they continue. I am always sad that there was a fire when I was a child, so there are only 5 photos left of me under 10 and my parents. But you will like this, there is one of my Dad holding me at 4 weeks old and he is in a sweater he still wears to clean the car.. I'm 48 this year (lol).
      HeatherB likes this.
    • chloe_digiscrap
      LOVE the story!! What an amazing reason to start scrapbooking, and so happy you were able to make more memories with your son!
      HeatherB likes this.
    • Saar
      Oh I love your take on the challenge. I love the story, the big title, the photos in the corners, the layers... I love everything about your layout. What an awesome layout and awesome challenge.
      HeatherB likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Pollywog Team Layouts
    Uploaded By:
    HeatherB
    Date:
    Jan 2, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    247.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).