meagan43

Banned Books Week 1984 by George Orwell

Banned Books Week 1984 by George Orwell
meagan43, Oct 3, 2020
Description:
Using Technique Challenge DSD 2020 - Why It Works Washi https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/why-it-works-washi-tape.56786/
This uses Life Uncensored Bundle Scary by Allison Pennington, Etc by Danyale, Little Butterfly Wings.
I also used NBK Designs Newspaper Clipping Masks No 2 to make the 2 "articles". There are a couple of random items that I used as well - a clear washi, a typewriter, etc from Studio Basic and LBW Bookholic.

Today is the last day of #bannedbooksweek . Every year, I choose a title off of the many Banned Book lists to read for this week. I usually try to scrapbook a page about that book. 1984 is not an easy or "fun" title to read, but it is one that makes you think. Written in 1949 by George Orwell, the main plot of the book is a dystopian society where "Big Brother" is always watching you and even dictating your thoughts and acts. Some of the novel’s themes include nationalism, sexual repression, mind control, censorship, and privacy. It has been copied and used as a basis for tv shows, movies, books, music, video games and more. We find ourselves stepping ever closer to a world of revisionist history, where instead of learning from the mistakes of the past we erase it from memory altogether. Many of the topics, and scenes within the story, have stuck a nerve with many for its close parallels to actual events of our time. In that respect it’s both sardonic and apt that it would wind up on the ALA’s list of the most commonly challenged classics. Between '65- '82, the book ranked 5th on the list of most challenged titles for being “immoral and pro communist.” It is #79 of the 100 most banned and challenged books of this decade. The book is ironically challenged in schools for being both pro-communist and for being anti-government. It has been challenged for its sexual content as well. It has also been challenged for being "too gloomy" - I admit some parts are not easy to read. It is not one of those duckies and rainbows/happy ending kind of books, but I recommend it all the same.. It has been 6 decades since this book came out and yet it's scary future is still something to be feared. This year's scrapbook page looks a bit different than my normal pages and I admit a certain difficulty capturing it's dark landscape. Let me know what you think or what book you read this week. https://world.edu/banned-books-awareness-1984/
trekmom and AllisonPennington like this.
    • trekmom
      This page is absolutely amazing, I adore it. I just bought a new copy of 1984 to re-read, haven't read it since high school. I've got a pile of books on my night stand, I recently read Michelle Obama's book, Luvvie Ajayi's book: I'm Judging You, Samantha Irby's Meaty, Carrie Fisher's Wishful Drinking and Jenny Lawsons Let's Pretend This Never Happened. I've read all of her books.
      meagan43 likes this.
    • dotcomkari
      love the clutter of this page! and I still search out banned books! :) I have a lot of great reads that I was told I shouldn't read!
      meagan43 likes this.
    • michelepixels
      Fascinating page! And not too cluttered, I think, because of the limited color palette. Wonderful way to record your reading. I've read 1984 a few times, and other banned books, too.
      meagan43 likes this.
    • Ferdy
      this page is so amazing! I love the theme, I read the book when I was younger, and wow...your composition here is awesome!
      meagan43 likes this.
    • garrynkim
      Amazing. Love it!
      meagan43 likes this.
    • meagan43
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Allison Pennington
    Uploaded By:
    meagan43
    Date:
    Oct 3, 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    454.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    700px
    Height:
    700px
    Date / Time:
    2020:10:01 08:27:17

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).