adriablack

Backyard Insects Nature Study

Backyard Insects Nature Study
adriablack, Sep 24, 2020
Description:
Sept 2020 Inspiration Challenge - Use Your Stash

Journaling:
A Black-legged Meadow Katydid that Todd found in his kitchen. He asked for our bug jar and snagged it up so Tizzy and I could look at it. Originally we thought it was a grasshopper, until I put it into my Seek App on my phone. After we were done, we released it over by the neighbors bird feed where there is lots of grass for it to hide in. And do whatever Katydid’s do. . . .

Since our last nature walk through the woods, Atizle has been terrified of spiders. We’ve been working on it. We’ve been reading Charlotte’s Web and talking about spiders and all the good things they do. But today Todd found this Spotted Orbweaver spider hanging out between his car and Liver's car. So he snagged it up in the bug jar so we could get a nice close look at it. Tizzy said it was SO CREEPY and scary! But she couldn't stop looking at it (although she was shrieking like the whole time). He also got a bug that was wrapped up in the web and some of the web so the spider was hanging from the lid of the bug jar. So we were able to get a good look at the spider’s underside and watch it eat the bug, before we released it to a safe area nearby.

Credits:
TLP Collab - Roots
KarenB likes this.
    • bellbird
      oh dear, it's beginning to look a lot like October in the gallery! All the creepy things start showing up but i applaud this in the name of science and am sure David Attenborough would be proud as well but i can't say i wanted to look at your page long enough to comment on your layout itself, sorry! :hide
      adriablack likes this.
    • KarenB
      So brilliant that you are studying nature so closely. Fabulous photos and I love your journaling :)
      adriablack likes this.
    • zinzilah
      I love insects (all nature really) and had to look up Katydid today after reading your journalling, love learning new things, the spider also looks different from the ones we get here in Europe. I am with Tizzy on the spiders, love looking at them from safe distance but don't want to be too close unless there is a big lens in-between us. :) Gorgeous documenting, super way to learn with the kids.
      adriablack likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Inspiration Challenge
    Uploaded By:
    adriablack
    Date:
    Sep 24, 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    142.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    576px
    Height:
    576px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).