BevG

Being a Page

Being a Page
BevG, Jun 1, 2020
Description:
Find Peace by Lynn Grieveson
Alpha Jumble No 1 by Lynn Grieveson

Text reads:
When I was in tenth grade, I got my first paying job at the Sturgis Public Library as a page. What is a page? Official errand-runner, book-put-away-er, shelf-reader, and straightener. I worked after school from 3-5:15pm two or three days a week, except once a week I worked until closing at 8:30pm. I worked 7.5 hours every third Saturday. I would come in and re-shelve the returned books. Around 4:15pm I would run errands to the bank & post-office. If I ran out of books to re-shelve, I would tidy the shelves by ensuring the books were in order and lined up. I also picked up and returned books, magazines left on tables, etc. I loved working there as I would see classmates from school, there to do research, etc. I even got to see the boys I had crushes on.

During the summers, we worked longer shifts and more days, but none of us could work more than 37.5 hours. The city did not want to pay us benefits. When I first started I had to ride the school bus from the high school to the middle school and then walk across the street to the library. It got easier when I got my first car at age 16, which is what I used all the money on.

I worked there all through high school. When I went off to college, they had me work holiday weekends when I was home and summer vacations. My title was no longer page but assistant. They let me work the circulation desk - checking books out for people and checking books in. I also worked a lot in the back room, learning how to prepare new books by putting on plastic covers, prepping magazines, filing things, etc. Again, I got to see people I went to school with when they came in for research. I enjoyed the library so much that for awhile I considered being a librarian.
KarenB, mirjam and trekmom like this.
    • Angela Toucan
      sounds like a great part-time job whilst still in school. Fabulous journaling and a lovely page
      BevG likes this.
    • Smwhite
      Fun to read your journaling... sounds like good days gone by! Lovely and sentimental page
      BevG likes this.
    • cookingmylife
      I love a scrapper who writes a long story!!! I never worked in a library but I did check in all the returning books for the little ones in the elementary school where I was volunteering. The tiny ones are so intent on watching the compute beep when their book is accepted. You really learned all the important bits of a library!
      BevG likes this.
    • LynnG
      That was my DD's first job as well :-) Lovely page for the challenge x
      BevG likes this.
    • flowersgal
      What a great job. I love libraries but have only been on the customer side. You have created a lovely layout and I enjoyed reading of your first job.
      BevG likes this.
    • BevG
      Thank you! It really was a great job for a high school student.
    • mcurtt
      Definitely a step up (or maybe even several floors up) from mine. Loving your ripped paper border & illustration.
      BevG likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Lynn Grieveson
    Uploaded By:
    BevG
    Date:
    Jun 1, 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    219.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).