MOC8 Day 17 - Hindsight
Tracie Stroud, Jan 20, 2020
Description:
kit: 20/20 by ForeverJoy Designs
Stamp Tramp Volume One: Basic Shapes by Allison Pennington
font: Bohemian Typewriter
3 brushes by Tracie Stroud (retired)

431 words

As a busy mom, it can be difficult to take my health seriously, especially when something is very wrong. It’s so inconvenient to have to go to the emergency room, and if I can’t drive myself, it gets even more complicated. We have to get all the kids ready, bring enough stuff to keep Noah occupied and happy, and drop everything for several hours, or however long it takes. So, that’s why I put off going to the ER for as long as I did that week. I had a UTI that had turned into a kidney infection. I was on an antibiotic, but by Thursday, I was in so much pain that I was vomiting it up. I started developing chills. I knew I was really ill, but I also thought if I just rested and kept myself hydrated, it would get better. I was wrong.

I called my doctor on Friday afternoon, and he told me that I had to go to the ER immediately. So we loaded up the kids and went. Thank God. I was admitted within a couple of hours after lots of testing, and they planned to keep me for a couple of days, give me IV antibiotics, and send me home, on the way to recovery. It wasn’t to be. The next morning, I sat up in bed and suddenly started coughing so severely, I couldn’t stop or catch my breath. I hit the emergency button for the nurse. She came in, saw what was happening, and immediately called the emergency respiratory team. By the time they got there 5 minutes later, my blood oxygen level was 84 and rapidly falling. They gave me oxygen and did a quick lung x-ray in my bed. We were all shocked by what it showed. I had a massive mass of pneumonia in one of my lungs that had not been there the evening before. I was immediately taken to the ICU, where I spent the next week. The kidney infection had turned into pneumonia and sepsis, which has a 50% survival rate. It was pretty touch-and-go for a while. After the ICU, I still had to spend some time in a regular hospital room to be monitored until I could maintain my oxygen levels without supplemental oxygen. This picture was taken after I was back in a regular room and able to get out of bed. I almost died because I didn’t feel that my health was important enough to cause an inconvenience to my family. The irony of that statement is not lost on me.
    • bcnatty
      Holy man...that is crazy!!! Such a good thing that you finally went in, and I'm so happy that things turned out...a good reminder that above all others, you have to treat yourself well!!
    • Tracie Stroud
      @bcnatty absolutely! My doctor told me later if I hadn't been in the hospital when the coughing started, I would never have made it there. I'm thankful to be alive.
      bcnatty likes this.
    • ForeverJoy
      OH MY GOODNESS!!! What a story!!! I want to just give you a big hug and say I am so glad that everything turned out well- but that must have ridiculously scary!! :beat
    • EHStudios
      This is so scary!!! I'm so happy you were at the doctor when things turned!! Your page is perfect, but so so crazy to have to go through!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 8
    Uploaded By:
    Tracie Stroud
    Date:
    Jan 20, 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    427.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    800px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).