easyeyes4you

2020-MOC-day-17-Hindsight-copy4

2020-MOC-day-17-Hindsight-copy4
easyeyes4you, Jan 20, 2020
Description:
The term 20/20 Hindsight infers that there is something that at some point in time we made a decision about that we now, feel was a mistake and looking back with the knowledge of today wish we could change... I find that there is very little in my life that I would have changed... Even the things others feel were bad decisions on my part, , I do not feel the same way about... So the challenge to write about something I wish I had done differently has been a particularly hard one for me... and even more so because, if I am going to write 200 words about it, it needs to bear some weight of seriousness... or humor... Humor would be nice...

So this morning as I sorted through my life, I realized that one of the things I DO regret is never stopping to take the time to enjoy something... Particularly something that is important to someone else... It is a character trait and not something I consciously do on purpose , but to this day I do still find myself, saying to someone... “hold that thought until I finish this or that” and just like that the moment is lost... Never to return... There are a few times that stand out in my memory regarding my husband... and I do have very deep regrets at having pushed him away till a “better” time, when I wasn’t so busy!

Probably the biggest time was, when he at long, last received a small box of photos from his past, from his brother in law Conn, long after his sister Myrna, Conn’s wife had passed.... Conn and Myrna , handled all of their parents estate, since they were local and we were in far away in Alaska, it was a matter of practicality , and one that I do believe they resented... There were things of his father’s particularly in the garage, that he had wanted, but they were disposed of, without them ever thinking to ask him... he was deeply hurt by all of this...

Think about all the things we leave behind when we die... one of the things of importance is the family photos... they took them and never talked with Rodger about them although I do beleive he did ask about them... so it was a surprise when one day a small package arrived, containing what was left of those photos... The ones , Myrna was not interested in keeping... The left overs so to speak.... Rodger was beyond excited to receive this box, and like a child at Christmas wanted to immediately jump into them... I on the other hand, said... lets wait! I will never forget how disappointed he was, that I did not share his enthusiasm for this “treasure” he had unexpectedly received... He looked at them alone, and they were never shared with me... So after he died, and now dabbling in Genealogy, I came across the box of photos, and finally looked at them... Of course I had NO idea what I was looking at or who... so sad... I wanted to know , rather belatedly who all these people and places were and what they meant to him... Moments now lost..

tnote: As I have thought about this, this morning I have realized I have NO idea what I did with those photos...? They are someplace??? and knowing me, should be in the same box, they arrived in... but I have no memory of that box, being anyplace in the genealogy stuff... Hopefully I will find that my memory is as faulty as I know it is, and they will be right there, when I get back to genealogy one day.

@ papers by Lynn Grievson blended togetehr...
    • EHStudios
      I'm sorry that the time has past and you can't ask about them with him. Your story reminds me so much of my mom since she has always done similar to you in "come back later". It's so hard!

Anyway! Your page is gorgeously scrapped! I hope you will find that box of photos again!
    • Jazzmom
      Liz, this is beautiful & heartfelt! I, too, have photos that my dad took when he was a young man ... I wish he were still here, so I could ask him who the people were or where they were taken. I know the family, but I don't know his friends. My mom's memory is fading so she doesn't remember. I'm sure you will find the box of photos & even though you may not know everyone in them; they are still precious!! Thanks for sharing...
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 8
    Uploaded By:
    easyeyes4you
    Date:
    Jan 20, 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    251 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    650px
    Height:
    650px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).