mcurtt

2020-MOC#17_Hindsight_web

2020-MOC#17_Hindsight_web
mcurtt, Jan 17, 2020
Description:
541 words

M3 December 2019 Main Kit, M3 January 2020 Main Kit.

Journaling reads:
I am currently at 17 months post retirement and couldn’t be happier. After working for the same employer for 45 years, I definitely had separation anxiety, definitely thought that I should wait until I was 66, or even older, before I retired. My coworkers didn’t make it any easier. They would always comment that I would be bored with no job, that John and I would get into disagreements being around each other 24 hours a day. As I began reaching the age of Medicare and Social Security, I told my director that I was looking to leave by January 2019, putting me at 65+ years of age. We were moving toward a new software platform at work, go-live was July 1, 2018, and I just did not want to be involved in another conversion. I had my share of late nights and constantly being on-call. But John was ready for me to leave. He had been driving me back and forth to work (I’m not much of a driver...), all of my working years. For the last 25 years, it has been a 64 mile daily trip in the car. It was hard on him, it was hard on the car. So I moved up my date, putting it at August 31, 2018. By that time, the new software would be up and running, I would celebrate my 45th anniversary with the company and I would have turned 65. I would be eligible for Medicare, insurance coverage that would be my safety net should something happen if I needed medical care. And I don’t know why, but my director was shocked when I told her at the beginning of June that I was retiring on August 31. Regardless on September 1, 2018, I became a woman without a career, a woman who no longer had to set an alarm, someone who didn’t have to travel to the city every day, a woman who no longer stressed out, was not totally exhausted. I no longer had a compulsion to make my weekends count with a flurry of chores and no time for fun. The first few months of retirement felt like I was on an extended vacation. I friended my coworkers on Facebook, we chatted on the phone occasionally. But I found my new groove, still waking insanely early, sitting in the dark, sipping my tea, listening to podcasts or watching scrapbooking process videos on you-tube, waiting for John to wake. Then together we watch reruns of Perry Mason, Matlock, Diagnosis Murder, Murder She Wrote. Sometimes we make ourselves a hot breakfast, grain-free goodies that used to be reserved for my days off: waffles, pancakes, cheese Danish, French toast. We laugh, we dance, we sing, we enjoy each other’s company. We work out in the yard, I feed my birds and squirrels, I walk out to the mailbox to pick up our mail, we occasional go out for lunch, we check out antique shops, we see movies. I seriously don’t know where the time goes because I feel busier than before, but in a much more relaxed way. Had I known retirement was this much fun, I would have done it 45 years ago.
Laugh out loud! Yes, hindsight is 20/20.
Karen, chastml and AJK like this.
    • flowersgal
      Wonderful storytelling. I love retirement! Thanks for putting the journaling in the comments so I could enjoy reading it.
      mcurtt likes this.
    • cfile
      Absolutely beautiful Marilyn!!! People said the same thing to me when I retired .. I love being home with my hubby to do our own things yet still doing lots of things together like just run out to the store or lunch like you said... watching shows together etc... simple and fun!!! You make me giggle with your last 2 sentences.. 8/31 is a great day to retire :) Love your AJ style of documenting this.. wonderful story telling and gosh, while I did not have that commute, (hubby did at one point) we often say when on the highway.. glad I don't have to deal with this everyday anymore! LOL I love getting up at O dark 30 :) Some routines are hard to break and that is what I like best.. having the choice to do what I want, which I know is the same for you.. Love it!! Great page Marilyn!!!
      mcurtt likes this.
    • mcurtt
      @flowersgal @cfile Thank you for putting up with another journaling page about my retirement. :-) Just thinking about it puts a smile on my face. And not a day goes by that we don't look at each other and comment about us enjoying being retired.
      cfile likes this.
    • cfile
      @mcurtt no worries.. I am not putting up with anything. I am enjoying reading your happiness!! yup ditto re us too making that same comment!!!
      mcurtt likes this.
    • EHStudios
      Ha! I love that ending out of nowhere! I'm so glad you are enjoying retirement!
      mcurtt likes this.
    • redplaid3
      Glad you're enjoying your retirement and doubly glad you had such a wonderful job. Fun art journaling style!
      mcurtt likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 8
    Uploaded By:
    mcurtt
    Date:
    Jan 17, 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    253.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    776px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).