klee73010

Rorys Birthday

Rorys Birthday
klee73010, Jan 21, 2018
Description:
Font: The HeatherA; Never Give Up collab bundle by Dawn Inskip and Little Butterfly Wings

The date for this page is 4/29/2013. It is in the journaling. Very very long story, but I've pasted below for easier reading.

I was induced at 39 weeks. While Jimmy wanted to be in the hospital with me, he wasn't feeling his best and didn't want to give me germs, too. Kaydence was at Grandma and Papa's. I was alone in the hospital, doing my best to get sleep, while stressing over the trouble I was sure it was causing for everyone else. By morning, I hadn't progressed as much as they liked. I had to walk the halls repeatedly, and the doctor had to finally break my water. This didn't seem to speed up the process. It was a very long and hard day. I remember crying to Jimmy at one point about being ready to give up. I don't know how many times I pushed, but I was long past counting. It was too hard to keep trying, but his head was out and the rest of him was stuck. There was chaos and lots of talking and urgency with the medical staff. My face was covered with a cool towel because I had asked for it at some point to help with the sweating. I could only hear all the chaos, and I didn't ask for details later. I know there was a nurse told to get on top of me to help try to push him from my stomach while the doctor tried to pull. This must have worked eventually, though I'm not sure how many pushes it took. After 20 hours of labor, Rory was delivered at 7:17 pm on April 29th, 2013. He was 9lbs and 11.6oz, and was 22 inches long. He was immediately taken to NICU to be checked for fractured and/or broken bones and respiratory distress. I wasn't allowed to see him or hold him for a couple hours, which was stressful. I was exhausted and overwhelmed. When Rory was finally allowed to be in the room with me, he was bruised and in pain. He couldn't be held or swaddled very comfortably. He also had a tongue tie and a lip tie. Nursing was extremely stressful those first days and I felt like a failure as a mother. My doctor came in to talk to me about what had happened during his birth a day or so later. His shoulders were too broad for my pelvic bone, and the medical term is "shoulder dystocia". My understanding from our discussion was never to do a google search for that phrase, and I've never done so. Apparently we were very lucky that Rory only had bruising, and no broken bones, or worse. My doctor explained she would recommend a cesarean section for any future child birth, if the estimation of baby's size was past a certain point. Her estimation of Rory's size was off by more than one pound, or she may have recommended a cesarean section for his birth. The whole ordeal was extremely overwhelming. Rory was in pain but couldn't be comforted, which broke my heart, and sent me into spiraling shame and mommy-guilt. Besides those not-so-small issues, Rory was okay, and I was okay. Looking back on it now, I can see why I don't remember it as clearly as I do Kaydence's birth. Though it was the first rough moment as Rory's mother, I know it will not be the only. Having made it through that one, I'll be better prepared for others.
Mylinn and mollyscraps like this.
    • Karen
      Oh my goodness! That must have been so terribly traumatic for you and poor little baby Rory! AND to not have your husband there with you must have been awful too (though totally understandable!) I can't imagine how scary it all must have been especially when they have to have a nurse on top of your to help push and a doctor to pull! My heart was racing just reading this story, I can't imagine being you during that!! Thank God he was okay after all that!
      klee73010 likes this.
    • IntenseMagic
      Wow! What a story and that must have been such an emotional day! Beautifully written and beautifully scrapped.
      klee73010 likes this.
    • HeatherB
      What an amazing birth story. That must have been so scary and doing it all on your own without your husband there with you must have been so difficult. And to have a nurse on top of you to help with the pushing, and a doctor pulling, I just can't imagine. And poor little Rory with the pain afterwards. You really captivated me with your journaling - I was drawn in completely. Beautifully scrapped and written. Thanks for playing along with my challenge!
      klee73010 likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 6
    Uploaded By:
    klee73010
    Date:
    Jan 21, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    231.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).