Wisdom Teeth | pad patter 6.11.18

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Jun 11, 2018.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

My DD 18 got her wisdom teeth taken out this morning. Boy did that anesthesia make her loopy. She was trying to facetime her friends on the way home and she was laughing and crying all at the same time. She says she isn't sad, and was worried why she couldn't hold back the tears. I've got her all iced up and tucked in on the couch so I can keep an eye on her. It'll be a full day of changing the ice packs and gauze and giving her clear liquids and maybe a slushy or two later. Hopefully, she can get a little rest in before the numbing meds wear off too much.

So how about you... have you gotten your wisdom teeth removed? Did you do well with it? I got mine removed when I was in college and it was no fun! The pain meds made me really sick on top of the pain and swelling.

Any tips or tricks on keeping the pain under control? She didn't want the narcotics, so we're doing the Ibuprofen / Tylenol routine with 20 minutes on and off of ice packs.

amien1 likes this.
  2. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Lol- I love those videos of people after surgery! You're doing everything right momma! Just make sure she takes it super easy chewing/eating & clean SUPER well at the extraction site. They should've given you a big syringe that you can put water in to 'shoot' out the trapped food/etc. As far as pain- icing & staying on top of meds should keep her comfortable!

I had mine out my freshman year of college (spring break! Thanks mom!) and it was so terrible I almost switched from my dental hygiene major! lol! I was awake tho- so I recommend to all my patients to go to sleep for the surgery! :giggle

bellbird, bestcee and keepscrappin like this.
  3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I don't remember details about getting my wisdom teeth out (just like I don't remember a lot of anything!) but it was around spring break 1992, my junior year of college. The thing I remember most is finding out that the boyfriend I'd just started dating just before that time was selfish, because he got annoyed with me for not being in the mood to do anything while I was recovering from having my wisdom teeth removed. I never saw him again after that spring. I didn't care either. But it's kind of weird that I always think of him whenever someone mentions wisdom teeth.

keepscrappin likes this.
  4. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I vividly remember having mine removed. They were bleeding and causing me issues so my dentist decided I needed them out immediately... and I was one month into my student teaching.

Though the timing was awful, the experience wasn’t bad. I remember just being careful of not getting food stuck in one of the holes as it healed, but that’s it! I went to a birthday party Friday night after having them removed that morning.

keepscrappin likes this.
  5. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

I hope that your DD recovers quickly and isn't in too much pain! She's lucky to have you by her side today! Sending good vibes your way!

I remember all too well, getting my wisdom teeth pulled - all 4 at one time. I had issues with them not healing well - I had just gotten married and recall telling my Mom "If childbirth is this painful I'm NEVER having kids!" LOL.

Our son also had all 4 pulled at once - I don't remember that he was in pain as much as that his jaws and neck was super swollen. Made a trip to the doctor to make sure there wasn't anything wrong - there wasn't, thankfully.

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I distinctly remember getting my wisdom teeth removed. I was 15. They weren't giving me any problems, but I have a small mouth (I know, I know, how can it be? LOL) and because my teeth were so naturally straight, my dentist recommended I have them taken out. The oral surgeon agreed. My dad took me to have them taken out. I remember I was nervous, but everything went great.

My dad still tells the story of picking me up at the door. I had gauze packed into my cheeks (of course) but they had left the gauze hanging out the sides of my mouth (I guess for easier removal?). Anyway, I was laughing, and my Daddy says I said, "Look at me, I look like a walrus!" And then died laughing some more. He does a great imitation of me. I'm 47 years old, and he still loves to tell that story.

I had no problems healing, but I did have medication/narcotics for just a day or two. After that, I don't even think I took Tylenol or over-the-counter meds.

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Awwwwwwwww Kayla @keepscrappin - that poor girl. I think just keep doing what you're doing. Tylenol helps me more than anything. I've had all of mine removed, but didn't have them all removed at once. I hope your daughter gets along ok. Sending gentle hugs.:bk

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. keepscrappin

speaking of boys, when she was coming out of the anesthesia and facetiming her friends, she told them that there was a cute boy asleep on the table next to her and that she was sad he was sleeping because she didn't get to talk to him and find out his name.... hehe! Maybe he'll be there on Friday for a follow-up appointment too.

michelepixels likes this.
  9. keepscrappin

WOW going to a party that same night! I don't think she'll be partying anytime soon. She's pretty swollen. Having all 4 teeth impacted, it was a pretty rough morning for her. She took a nap and is just taking it easy today.

10. keepscrappin

a walrus... too funny! LOVE IT!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  11. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I had all four of mine pulled when I was 18ish. I remember my mom giving me a milkshake but I wasn't supposed to suck out of the straw so I used a spoon and apparently dribbled it all down my chin and had no idea because I couldn't feel it dripping. My brothers had a fun time with that one.

I ended up having dry socket issues so it turned into an ordeal. They had left a sliver of tooth in my gums. I had to go in a few extra times so they could put these antibiotic strips in my gums. They would be black when pulled out. So.gross.

keepscrappin likes this.
  12. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

My son had all four out in March. He was so loopy too! He did do the narcotics for 2 days though ... and then it was just rotating the Tylenol/Ibuprofen. There's not too much you can do. It's painful and uncomfortable. And then there's the swelling that gets even worse in the next day or so! My son liked ice cream and said it helped soothe things the day after. Poor girl ... I hope she feels better soon.

Definitely follow the advice of the salt/water rinses ... and our oral surgeon gave him a syringe on the follow up visit to help clean the wounds better. You can target the cleaning to the area that way.

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I don't remember too much about it, except the part where they put me to sleep. I only had three removed and it wasn't really bad at all. I had steak for dinner that night lol (it was cut up small). Neither one of my older kids have had theirs removed, yet.
    Hope your daughter heals quickly and is feeling much better soon!!

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

I had all of mine out late in life, must have been about 40 I guess. It all was fine, was put under for the duration so can't remember a thing. i wasn't too swollen but it was the first time I had ibuprofen and it made me so sick. Once I worked that out I recovered quickly...

cfile and keepscrappin like this.
  15. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Good luck to her! And he will have empathy about recovering from wisdom-teeth surgery! :giggle

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

I, luckily, have never had my wisdom teeth removed...my ortho decided to remove 4 molars instead.
    My friend had hers removed and ended up getting atypical dry sockets, then was put on antibiotics which wiped out all of the bacteria in her gut...and she ended up getting really sick and lost a ton of weight. She couldn't play basketball the next year because of it...so make sure she keeps those sockets clean!!!

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Great timing!!! My dd is getting hers out on Wednesday. Her brother's did fine. The ice routine is crucial -- keep it going for 12 hours plus if you can. It really helps with pain and swelling. It works best if you can get 2 packs so one is freezing while the other is on their face.

DD's BFF is coming over to play nurse and to record those memorable moments. The sons did not do anything funny. However, 2nd son came home with his pulled teeth wrapped up in gauze. They asked and he said he wanted to keep them. He has no memory of them asking but claims that he meant to keep them in him mouth. Both had vague memories of riding in a wheelchair. One son argued with me about getting out of it and into the car.

My sons and my dd got the antibiotic mouthwash. I think it really helps keep those sockets clean and healthy. It tastes nasty, but it works well. I have kept the leftovers around for those occasional canker sores and sore gums.

keepscrappin likes this.
  18. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@keepscrappin Kayla - I had mine out 3 years ago... I was 53 :) I was out for 20 minutes and they took out all 4 at once. It really wasn't bad at all except I had an issue for about 6 months where I had a numb spot on my tongue due to the nerve that was hit when they gave me the novacaine shot prior to the anesthesia. I had very little swelling and I was fine with just tylenol. I did a page on it...
    [​IMG]

Hope your daughter feels better.

keepscrappin likes this.
  19. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I had 2 out at the same time. My dentist had me take 1000 mg of vitamin C for three days before the surgery. I did it on a Friday, and went back to work on Monday. I had a little swelling. I wasn't put to sleep, just Novocaine. I used the Tylenol 800 on the first day. Then regular Tylenol the other days because I wanted to drive!

Repeat the process about 2 years later for the other two. One of those was stuck, because it was crooked or something, so it took longer to get out.

I was one of the lucky ones apparently, because it wasn't traumatic, and I didn't have any socket issues. I don't know if it was the vitamin C but I always tell people to ask their dentist about it!

keepscrappin likes this.
  20. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Mine were all impacted and I had them taken out all at once....I'm fairly certain they gave me too much sedation!! I didn't remember the car ride home because I was still knocked out, I don't remember how my dad got me into the house or how long it took him...I didn't bruise but boy did I swell like a balloon!! I don't remember what I did to help with the pain since it's been since the summer after 8th grade LOL I'm fairly certain I used ice packs on my face though.

keepscrappin likes this.