**WINNER ANNOUNCED: Paper Challenge-- win $5!-- Summer School Week 3

Discussion in 'Six Weeks of Summer School' started by yellowpeep, Jul 14, 2016.

1. yellowpeep

yellowpeep Spaaaarrrrrkkkleeeee

Hi Lovely Scrappers!

Polly Liana here, with the honor and pleasure of hosting this week's Summer School challenge. As you know, this week's topic in Summer School is paper. Paper is one of the most versatile things we have in our stash but just how versatile is it, really? This is your week to embrace all the gorgeousness that a thin piece of "former digi-tree" can offer. Your challenge is to explore how many different ways you can use paper.

Here's what I'm looking for from your layout:

1. Use different papers in at least five different ways. Notice I did not say "use five different papers." We want to challenge you to use paper in at least five different ways. So, blending five papers together to make a background would qualify as one way to use paper. Hope that makes sense! Here are some ideas:

* background (of course)
    * pieces to layer under things
    * mask/blend them together
    * clip to alphas, flair, tape, photo mats, elements, etc.
    * use one of our many templates

2. Please indicate in your post the different ways in which you used the papers.

Here's my example:
    [​IMG]
    I used the wonderful freebie template from this month's Template challenge (generously provided by Pink Reptile Designs). I also used the kit Water Play by Jacque Larsen and Sahlin Studios. I have used their paper in the following ways:

* background
    * clipped to a mask by Dawn Inskip
    * layered in the template
    * clipped to one word of the title
    * shrunk and added to one of Lynne Marie's Give it Flair pieces

(Note: shrinking and flipping is a great way to use the same paper in new ways!)

To help you out, our paper shop is a whopping 25% off this week! Here's a link to the shop.

Remember, the Lilypad challenge rules apply to this challenge. Your page must contain at least 75% Lilypad product.

Important: Once you have completed and uploaded your layout to the gallery, come back here to this thread to leave us a link to it. You will find the right link to copy on the right hand side of your page in the gallery, under your avatar. You will see Share this Layout.

The link you want is : Share BB Code

You have until Sunday, the 24th of July at 11:59 EST to post your page in the gallery and post a link here. From the submitted layouts we will select one lucky recipient of a $5 Lilypad gift card. We will be looking for layouts that use papers in at least 5 various & creative ways and have listed the different ways in the post.

Cheers! Can't wait to see your layouts.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    mirjam, Ga_L, Danyale and 3 others like this.
  2. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Such a great challenge, Liana!

3. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Love paper! What is a paper template? Like a shape cutter? Or a shaped edge?

4. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

I apologize for the pictureless layout. I wanted to do this today but my son saw me doing it and REFUSED to let me put his picture in it. Not sure why, it's not so different than when he is in his swimsuit (in a towel after the shower), but I'll respect his request :)

I did:
    background
    behind photo
    in mask
    filled an element (tape)
    filled alpha in title

[​IMG]

Juliestcyr, tlcd1961, wvsandy and 3 others like this.
  5. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Now we are talking my comfort zone. Great challenge

6. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

"* use one of our many paper templates with the paper"

Does this mean we must use a template (TLP) for this layout?

7. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

[​IMG]
    I used :
    * background (of course)
    * pieces to layer under things
    * mask
    * clip to photo mats
    * template

wvsandy, Juliestcyr, tlcd1961 and 2 others like this.
  8. yellowpeep

Great question-- thanks for asking. No, as long as you are using paper in five different ways (and listed the ways) you have completed the challenge.

9. yellowpeep

Another great question! I have edited the post to avoid confusion. You can use any template you want (or none at all) but there are certain templates that specifically make paper/photos appear differently, like Lynne-Marie's Tattered Overlays; Mommyish's Folded Photos & Shading Bits, Mommyish's & Just Jaimee's Torn Paper Piecing ; Dawn Inskip's Torn Paper Masks and Valorie Wibben's A Bit Worn series. Note: those products are not on sale this week because they're templates, not paper. However, I find them invaluable when it comes to making my paper look super realistic! Hope that helps. :)

10. tape

tape Active Member

Yay for paper! Thanks for the challenge.

[​IMG]

My uses:
    * background
    * blended 2 together
    * layered under photo
    * applied sponged edge action to layer copy & lowered opacity, clipped trim to top & bottom
    * clipped to photo frame and blended

Juliestcyr and yellowpeep like this.
  11. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

great challenge

12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

[​IMG]

5 uses of the paper:
    1)Used Valorie Wibbens JournalsV2 as a template
    2-4) Blended 3 papers together for background
    5) Used paper overlayed on splatter
    6) Used paper for overlay of tab and word strips

mcurtt and Juliestcyr like this.
  13. yellowpeep

Ladies, here's a perfect example of why we do these challenges: the last two layouts posted (above this post) feature the same paper from Allison Pennington but because of the techniques that Tanja and Christa used, the looks are totally different! Fantastic way to demonstrate how versatile paper can be, given the right techniques (also, very neat coincidence). Great job, @tape and @cfile! Check it out, @lmccandless and @AllisonPennington. Isn't that cool? :)

StefanieS, cfile and mcurtt like this.
  14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Ah. Thanks @yellowpeep for the explanation on what a paper template is. Now I need to go be creative. Okay, after I make dinner.... family has this thing about wanting to eat 3 times a day.

yellowpeep and bellbird like this.
  15. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I am enjoying Summer School, even though I've been dealing with pink eye since Sunday (not fun). I didn't go to work for the last couple of days, not improving even with meds. Again, not fun.

But at least I was able to play. :-) The background paper is actually six copies of the same paper “pasted together” since the original pattern was too large for what I wanted here. The black frame is a paper, the pink background is a solid pink paper blended with a white a white patterned paper. The flowers are roughly cut from a background paper. The heart (template) pieces were flattened and then a paper clipped to the template. The stitches have a background paper clipped to it & then blended. The white floral band stroked in black is a pattern paper cut to size.

[​IMG]

wvsandy, Juliestcyr and BevG like this.
  16. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thank you!! I had fun and I love blending!!!

17. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Papers 5 ways:
    Background - solid color
    Border - created by taking one row from polka dot paper and deleting the background.
    Ribbon - clipped another paper to a piece of ribbon to make a plaid embellishment.
    Title - Clipped a paper to the word "Pets" for the title.
    Journaling Card - I used a journaling card from "Mariko" by Lynn Grieveson as an inspiration and created a card with papers from the kit I used for the page.

mcurtt likes this.
  18. olsondetours2000

olsondetours2000 I'll use small words, you warthog faced buffoon.

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]
    I blended two papers on the background, clipped a paper to a paint splatter, used paper as a photo mat, used paper as a photo frame, used paper strips behind photos, clipped paper to elements, and clipped paper to an alpha. Thanks for the challenge!

mcurtt and Juliestcyr like this.
  19. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Fun Challenge!!
    I used the papers these ways:
    Background
    Clipped to masks and border
    Filled word art
    Block behind photo
    Clipped to frame/journaling spot
    Clipped to the lace element

[​IMG]

mcurtt likes this.
  20. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

Blue paper clipped to a brush [1]
    Pink paper clipped to a stamp frame and an "overlay" blend mode applied [2]
    Green paper used as a background with an overlay added [3]
    Brown paper used two ways: clipped to the alpha used for the title to change the color (stitching was extracted and placed on top so it still showed the original color) [4]
    and then the title alpha (still on the brown paper) was clipped to a mask to make the title word art [5]

[​IMG]

mcurtt likes this.