Why It Works | Warping Shadows

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Apr 16, 2017.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

[​IMG]

Welcome to another edition of Why it Works, where we share and highlight a page from an awesome scrapper in our gallery that utilizes a really cool technique, a design trick, a photography tip, journaling ideas or any number of other things to get you scrapping outside your comfort zone. We hope to share and inspire you to try something new, revisit an old technique you may have forgotten about, or maybe just approach that blank canvas in a new way. So, here are some of the things you can do to be involved in this thread:

1. Ohhh and Ahhh over the awesome layout or project that has been highlighted and head over to the gallery and show the scrapper some love.
    2. Learn something new from the tip or tutorial. It's all about becoming better at our craft!
    3. Try the technique yourself and post it in this thread for us to see.
    4. Show off other pages from the gallery that use the technique as well. Be sure to link them so we can give them the love they deserve!
    5. Ask questions about the technique that you may have or tell us how you may do it differently.
    There are many ways to do these things and this thread is all about the learning!

*note: this is not to be a critique of the page/project in any way, it's all about learning to emulate the awesome technique highlighted. Any negative comments about the highlighted page will be deleted.*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy Easter and welcome to a new edition of Why It Works!!

One thing that really catches my eye in the gallery is a layout with great shadow work. This layout by @carrie1977 is one I keep going back to over and over. I love the way the papers in the corner look like they are popping off the page and how the journaling piece is just perfectly lifting in the corner. The added dimension the shadows give the clouds is just fantastic.

[​IMG]

When I'm working on a layout, I spend more time on shadows than anything else. There are so many tutorials out there on how to achieve the perfect shadows and I tend to use different methods at different times. Most often, I use the warp tool or the smudge tool. There's so much good information here at The Pad, I thought I would just share a few links that are really useful for practicing shadows (and big thanks to Anne for the great total list of tutorials HERE):

Tutorial - Shadowing Wave
    How to get curled photo shadows in PSE!
    How to Rock Your Shadows!
    Curling shadow - Translation into GIMP
    Realistic Shadow Warp tool
    I also found great tutorials on One Little Bird's Blog - Shadow Files - The Basics, and on Sahlin Studio's Blog - Tutorial | How-To Create Realistic Shadows.

One of our members @cfile had a really great post on this few months ago with some wonderful information for PSE users and you can find it HERE.

I would love to know if you have any other tips or tricks for achieving amazing shadows or if you've seen any rockin' shadows in the gallery and want to know how they're done. Also, please feel free to share any of your layouts trying out this technique!

2. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Wow...thank you so much for featuring my layout. Such a happy surprise! :)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I love....LOVE....to warp shadows. I could do it for hours on my pages.

Here are some recent ones.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

busywoman139 and IntenseMagic like this.
  4. IntenseMagic

Those are fantastic!! Absolutely gorgeous examples!!

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

6. IntenseMagic

7. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

@gonewiththewind I just installed this a week or so ago ... I downloaded it awhile back and then forgot to use it! It is fabulous! Trying to remember to make it a part of my everyday workflow! ;)

gonewiththewind likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

@IntenseMagic Thank you for pulling all these resources together for our members! This is invaluable!

@jenn mccabe I love how quick and simple it is on papers and especially word art and word strips!

9. jenn mccabe

I am happy to say I have it down pat in my work flow now. I just have to figure out how to make it look more realistic when I use it on a lot of layered papers. I have turned and flipped ... can it be tweaked at all @gonewiththewind so the wave is varied if we have say 3 papers stacked and layered on top of each other? Any suggestions that you might know of? TY I love it ... but I do have to remember to credit your action in my layouts. That part I am forgetting!

[​IMG]

gonewiththewind and keepscrappin like this.
  10. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I am going to have to try this action since I tend to warp shadows a lot :agree:agree:agree

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

12. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Oh yes, I love Cheryl's shadow styles and paper warping action.

Jenn, yes they can be tweaked after the paper warp. I've turned and flipped, like you said and sometimes I go in with the smudge tool and use a soft brush to push parts in or pull parts or corners out. The trick is to adjust the size of your brush as needed. The bracket keys { } will adjust the brush size - use right for up and left for down. I like to push the shadow in where say an element is overlapping the paper so it looks like it's holding the paper down. I then maybe pull out a corner to give a slight lift there.

If anyone is looking for more help tweaking shadows, come to one of the Watch
    Cheryl Scrap sessions. I think she has one tomorrow, Monday, May 8th at 1 pm EDT for iNSD. She is always answering our questions and showing us how to customize shadows. Her YouTube channel also has many videos where she tweaks the shadows. HTH

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    jenn mccabe likes this.
  13. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

What a FANTASTIC tutorial Jan!!

[​IMG]

14. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

15. gonewiththewind

I have flipped and rotated the separated shadow after I've run the paper warp action. If you follow the instructions that I used to make the action . . . and do those steps separately, then yes, you can change the wave length, scale, etc. for different effects.

Here's the original tutorial on the blog: Shadowing Wave Tutorial

16. jenn mccabe

awesome- will do, thanks Cheryl!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  17. jenn mccabe

aww thanks Kayla! i do know how do all that - was looking for tweaking the actually action itself - to get different effects but thank you!

keepscrappin likes this.
  18. keepscrappin

Awesome! Looks like Cheryl answered your question and that helped me too. Thx for asking about the tweaking.

19. keepscrappin

Carol,

I remember you saying something about shadowing on both sides awhile ago. Can you please explain that further? I always love your shadowing.

20. keepscrappin

Bart loves warping shadows!

[​IMG]