Why It Works | Scissors, stickers and pasting!

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by Dalis, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

[​IMG]

Welcome to another edition of Why it Works, where we share and highlight a page from an awesome scrapper in our gallery that utilizes a really cool technique, a design trick, a photography tip, journaling ideas or any number of other things to get you scrapping outside your comfort zone. We hope to share and inspire you to try something new, revisit an old technique you may have forgotten about, or maybe just approach that blank canvas in a new way. So, here are some of the things you can do to be involved in this thread:

1. Ohhh and Ahhh over the awesome layout or project that has been highlighted and head over to the gallery and show the scrapper some love.
    2. Learn something new from the tip or tutorial. It's all about becoming better at our craft!
    3. Try the technique yourself and post it in this thread for us to see.
    4. Show off other pages from the gallery that use the technique as well. Be sure to link them so we can give them the love they deserve!
    5. Ask questions about the technique that you may have or tell us how you may do it differently.
    There are many ways to do these things and this thread is all about the learning!

*note: this is not to be a critique of the page/project in any way, it's all about learning to emulate the awesome technique highlighted. Any negative comments about the highlighted page will be deleted.*
    --------------------------------

This edition of "Why it Works" is brought to you by @Melhope1230 ! I love how she made a sticker out of her extraction of herself. I love extractions but I must confess I don't have the patience to create a close to perfect extraction. That's why I love sticker making or scissor cutting in the digital world they both hide imperfections on your extractions. You don't have to worry to extract someone's hair (which is what I dread the most) or any other detail part of the picture. Check it out!

[​IMG]

Let's see what she did:
    • She extracted her picture and then applied a border around that covers any imperfection on the extraction.
    • She used some of the elements in the kit and added them as extra layers of the stickers.
    • She put her sticker inside the cut out shape of the paper.
    Like I said I am not a patient little scrapper, so my example page is more like cut out with scissors kind of deal, this is my way of dealing w/ extraction imperfections.

[​IMG]

If you are interested on how to achieve this scissor cutting in your digital page, here is a video I made some time ago. The volume goes up and down because I was super sick when I recorded this.

Here are a few products in the store that will help you out on creating a sticker effect. I am pretty sure I am forgetting some other styles or actions in the store to create stickers, so if you know of any others that you use from here at The Lilypad please do share the name of it.

Please do show us how you use your homemade stickers in your pages, post them in our gallery and in this thread!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

This is so fun!! I am definitely giving it a go very soon!!

Dalis likes this.
  3. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

@Dalis love your take on the extraction. Besides not having the patience with the digital extractions I'm not so hot with scissors either!

Dalis likes this.
  4. Dalis

Digital scissors are the best!

5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Oh wow! love your page and @Melhope1230 's original page too! Creating extractions that look like cut outs is super fun .... and I love all the styles you collected from the store. I have my eye on those puffy ones and the vellum ones! I think I need a day to play and make stickers! :)

Cute cute post Dalis ... I want to try this on a page soon. :beat

Dalis likes this.
  6. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Some of my favorite things to do. I love the dimension it adds to the page. I made this page awhile ago & still love it:
    [​IMG]

Rikki, Vrielinkie, ashleywb and 6 others like this.
  7. crlin

crlin Well-Known Member

Wow! I love the cut out behind the boy! Such a fun layout!

Dalis likes this.
  8. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

It would never have occurred to me to do a "messy" cut-out like that but I love it! It's fun!

Dalis likes this.
  9. Melhope1230

Melhope1230 Well-Known Member

@Dalis: Thanks so much for highlighting my layout!! I saw the mask and belt elements in the MM3 kit and this idea just popped into my head! I had to mess around a lot with the extraction, it takes a lot of work, so I'm so happy that it got noticed!! Thanks again!!

Dalis likes this.
  10. Dalis

Melanie,
    I know how hard it is and long it takes for those extractions. Your page is just magnificent and love seeing you scrap about you!

11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

wow at that highlighted page! i haven't done this in ages either, in fact this page is from like [gasp] 2016 MOC !
    [​IMG]

12. Dalis

OMG Justine, that rocks!