Why It Works | Scatters

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by Dalis, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

[​IMG]

Welcome to another edition of Why it Works, where we share and highlight a page from an awesome scrapper in our gallery that utilizes a really cool technique, a design trick, a photography tip, journaling ideas or any number of other things to get you scrapping outside your comfort zone. We hope to share and inspire you to try something new, revisit an old technique you may have forgotten about, or maybe just approach that blank canvas in a new way.

So, here are some of the things you can do to be involved in this thread if you want to be.
    1. Ohhh and Ahhh over the awesome layout or project that has been highlighted and head over to the gallery and show the scrapper some love.
    2. Learn something new from the tip or tutorial. It's all about becoming better at our craft!
    3. Try the technique yourself and post it in this thread for us to see.
    4. Show off other pages from the gallery that use the technique as well. Be sure to link them so we can give them the love they deserve!
    5. Ask questions about the technique that you may have or tell us how you may do it differently. There are many ways to do these things and this thread is all about the learning!

*note: this is not to be a critique of the page/project in any way, it's all about learning to emulate the awesome technique highlighted. Any negative comments about the highlighted page will be deleted.*
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you ever struggle to know when your page is done? When should you stop adding elements? I have noticed that I always stop when I feel my page is "grounded". In the two examples I picked (because I couldn't decide between these two pages) for this edition of Why It Works you both see the presence of scatters. Scatters are my favorite grounding element. They are my item that I throw in, to see if my page is finished.

In the first example, a more artsy approach, the little sequins, flairs and pieces of paper confetti is exactly what this page needs on top of all that glorious paint to wrap up this page.
    [​IMG]

In this second example, you see a super clean and simple page, and I can seriously visualize someone using a super thin nozzle tip on their glue to put all those beautifully flower shaped sequins just grounding the bakers twine and the paper flower.
    [​IMG]

There are really not much of a technique about scatters other than tucking them under or around your main items to "ground" your main elements. I picked some products in the store that may help you out but remember that a lot of our fabulous designers sometimes add scatters to their kits so check out your stash too.

Products to help you out.
    This first one is a product by Sara Gleason and can be used in many different ways. You can use the PNG or the brush it comes with to create your own scatters or you can use the PNG files as templates. Sara has tons of different combinations of shapes to fits all your "needs" and most important your "wants".
    [​IMG]
    I love styles and I think this is why I love this one so much, you got the styles AND the scatter brushes that you can then apply the styles to convert into sequins and scatters. This next set from Just Jaimee it's super cool because it has a bevel style that you can apply on top of your fonts but you can also do on your scatters to make them look more 3D. SUPER FUN!!!! You can also use the same bevel styles as shadows if you put them underneath the main copy instead of on top of it. (check the video that I made, so you know what I am talking about).

[​IMG]This one was super unexpected because these dynamic brushes where in the second and third picture of the product. I seriously was not expecting to get these at all. The preview of the product is a set of gorgeous stamps but you also get these, which are a great scatter stamps for a subtle but delicate finishing touch. (AND YES, you get the hearts, the XOs, the flowers AND the arrows!!)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Another of those awesome style sets that comes with a brush, in this case it's a heart scatter glitter brush. I played and mixed this set with the bevel emboss style from Just Jaimee for a super cool look in the video.
    [​IMG]

Of course there are MANY, MANY MORE products that are scatters like all of Valorie's Sprinkles!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Finally, make your own super cool beads and make your own beaded scatters!!!! These are super cool, my piece on this in the video is nothing like what Leah does in her video so I have added her video for you to see how AMAZING this set is!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Leah's video on how to use the Beaded Styles & Brushes:

My video playing around with all these 4 products:

Show us how you used your scatters to finish up your page!

Here is my page:

[​IMG]

2. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Scatters are one of my all time favorite elements.

Dalis likes this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I love scatters!! They are one of my favorite elements, too!! If a kit has them, I'll use them! I am definitely going to have to try these styles!

Dalis likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I love them, too. Great examples!!

Dalis likes this.
  5. Dalis

Scatters bring something to a page that it's just such a unique thing to it. I am so glad you ladies like them as much as I do! Show me some of your pages with them!

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  6. Cherylndesigns

Thought I'd share the layout I worked on last night. I was driving along and there was this "pop up" fair. I pulled over to the side of the road and took some pictures. Anyway, my layout just wasn't complete until I added all of these sequins.

[​IMG]

Dalis likes this.
  7. Dalis

It's P E R F E C T ! ! ! ! !

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  8. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Here's one with a small statement of heart scatters, since my page is more clean
    [​IMG]

and then here's a big statement of scatters with the butterflies
    [​IMG]

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  9. Dalis

Kiana, that is the beauty of scatters sometimes you just need them sparingly and sometimes you can go to town and back with them!

I just made a page and went to town and back with mine... LOL!!!!

[​IMG]

I even did a fast scrap video and I did a voice over!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    LoveItScrapIt and Cherylndesigns like this.
  10. Cherylndesigns

Loving all of these great pages with the scatters. I don't think a page is complete without something like scatters or ink splotches, etc.

LoveItScrapIt and Dalis like this.
  11. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Two recent pages of mine with scatters... I love them!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I use scatters a lot, almost on all my layouts, but often I would break them up so they are spread more across the page.
    Two recent examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Dalis

Oh wow, those 3 examples are gorgeous!

14. Dalis

I found this one from @Pups_r_Paps that is just the perfect little ATC card using some scatter confetti to finish it!

[​IMG]

15. Dalis

16. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Scatters to me just add that final touch on a page. Love them! Great write up Dalis and love all the pages you guys shared! Inspiring!

cfile and Dalis like this.
  17. pbrooks

pbrooks I need a realtor!

I read this right before I scrapped a layout for the BYOC Challenge and made sure that I used some scatters!

18. Dalis

Pam, is it this one? She is so cute! Love those hearts!

[​IMG]

19. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

I'm horrible with scatters, every time I use them it looks awful! I'll have to buckle down and try this again and see if I can't make something that rocks like these examples! Thanks for the inspiration!

Dalis likes this.
  20. Dalis

Do try them, they are my go to finishing touch... almost as much as scribbles.