Why It Works: Photo Blending

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by jenevang, Oct 17, 2016.

1. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Hey, Pad Peeps! Welcome to a BRAND NEW feature of the Learning Pad called Why It Works.

WhyItWorks.jpg

If any of you have been in the gallery lately you will see that we have some awesome crazy talent in there! Am I right? And sometimes we see techniques that we would love to do ourselves. Or we see pages that just "work" and we may not even be sure why. Am I right? Well, OK... I certainly do! This feature is all about highlighting a page that uses a particular scrapping or design technique and teaching you how to do it yourself.

Many of the tutorials you will find in the Why it Works features have been mentioned before, but I know I personally don't catch every.single.thing I'd like to see... and sometimes, I need to hear something more than once to learn it. Am I alone in this? :giggle

The feature will run every two weeks and will be hosted by different Pollys. It will sometimes link to a previous tutorial, or it may be a new one. It may only be a quick tip but will always be something practical that you can emulate. These could include design tips, photography tutorials, journaling ideas or any number of other things. It's gonna be fun.

So, here are some of the things you can do to be involved in this thread if you want to be.
    1. Ohhh and Ahhh over the awesome layout or project that has been highlighted and head over to the gallery and show the scrapper some love.
    2. Learn something new from the tip or tutorial. It's all about becoming better at our craft!
    3. Try the technique yourself and post it in this thread for us to see.
    4. Show off other pages from the gallery that use the technique as well. Be sure to link them so we can give them the love they deserve!
    5. Ask questions about the technique that you may have or tell us how you may do it differently. There are many ways to do these things and this thread is all about the learning!

*note: this is not to be a critique of the page/project in any way, it's all about learning to emulate the awesome technique highlighted. Any negative comments about the highlighted page will be deleted.*

So, I'm going to start us off with this AWESOME page from Christa (@cfile ) in the gallery.

[​IMG]

Honestly, there is SO MUCH I could say about this page, but the technique I'm going to highlight in particular is the photo blend. There is a tutorial on photo blending on the TLP blog that I created a while ago that I'm going to refer you to HERE. But I'm also going to link up the video itself...

Now... I'm going to give you a bonus today because Christa's awesome page not only used this photo blending technique, but she took it a step further by adding a geometric shape (triangle) OVER the blend and copied the bright, unblended photo there. It gives the page so much dimension and interest. I was really drawn to this page and I am TOTALLY going to do this myself soon. You are an inspiration, Christa and this page is stunning!

What do you think? Do you blend photos? Show me!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2016
    MrsPeel, michelepixels, tape and 7 others like this.
  2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Oooo... LOVE this! I will watch the video! I always learn new things and new ways to do things this way! Gorgeous page, Christa!

MrsPeel, cfile and jenevang like this.
  3. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Beautiful Page Christa! Thanks @jenevang for starting this - sounds like interesting and fun.

MrsPeel, cfile and jenevang like this.
  4. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thank you @jenevang for picking me as your first in this thread.. I love blending and I had fun.. Thank you @Lindzee nd @jk703 for you comments too!!

MrsPeel, norton94 and jk703 like this.
  5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

This is such a stunning page and I'm heading over to watch the video now.

6. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Jen - you have the sweetest voice and so does your son! I love the technique you shared; I do that often too and it's a good tip!

MrsPeel likes this.
  7. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

@cfile Christa, that's really a gorgeous page!

cfile likes this.
  8. cfile

Thank you Jess!! I made the page with a course I took at Scrapaneers through their Champion program.. The kit is by Lynn Grieveson which I am sure will be in the store one day soon. I really enjoyed this.. a little different than my normal style too!

enjoyyourpix and jesskab like this.
  9. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

That is such a beautiful page! I don't think I have ever tried this, but I will now!! So cool!

cfile likes this.
  10. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I like to blend photos, but have never had it blended outside of the frame. That's something I want to try. Christa has done a beautiful job with it here.

cfile likes this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i loved this page in the gallery and i love how adding a photo over the top can highlight parts that might be lost in blending
    Hope it's ok to post to a page i did about a week or two back - this uses a template to 'clip photos' in normal rectangles but i copied the photo layer & left it the same size but reduced the opacity to blend it into the BG paper with a few different photos
    [​IMG]

12. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

You have totally inspired me both @jenevang and @cfile
    I love love that sunspot in the blend and triangle...what a gorgeous page...I am gonna go thru my photos...and give this a whirl!!
    thank you

jenn mccabe and cfile like this.
  13. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have done a lot of blending on pages but not so much here at TLP. Must be time to do some!

cfile, bellbird and jenevang like this.
  14. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Yes, this very similar! Awesome example and page.

cfile and bellbird like this.
  15. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

What a great idea!! love learning new things and sharing what I know as well! :) and this page of Christa's is just amazing!! @cfile I spotted the layout in a gallery the other day and fell in love with it!! totally amazing and yeah, I just looooooooove me some blending!! :)

MrsPeel and cfile like this.
  16. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

oh gonna study this marow, for i always admired photo blending, and had no clue

cfile likes this.
  17. cfile

This is really beautiful! As @jenevang said, this is very similar... I love the feel here.. you really pulled texture too with the background paper. great blend with the photos and the overlay of the actual photos on top.. perfection!!

bellbird likes this.
  18. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

This is such an awesome page Christa @cfile ! I love how the bright light pops off the dark rich background. Repeating the photo in the geometric shape and adding that bit of bright yellow paint was genius! I am in the camp of not doing enough blending on my pages, although I am so drawn to them when I see them in the gallery.

You've totally inspired me to try this technique!

and Justine @bellbird - your example is gorgeous! I love that you showed how we can look for a template to make this idea even easier. Your design and blending really brings out the architectural details in that collection of photos on your page.

bellbird and cfile like this.
  19. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I blend occasionally, but this idea of copying a photo above the blended image is a new idea to me. Awesome!

I love the new Why It Works tutorial idea too!

20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

What a great idea to blend and then put part of the photo full strength on top. Love examples in this thread too!