Why It Works | Paper Blending

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Feb 15, 2018.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

[​IMG]

Welcome to another edition of Why it Works, where we share and highlight a page from an awesome scrapper in our gallery that utilizes a really cool technique, a design trick, a photography tip, journaling ideas or any number of other things to get you scrapping outside your comfort zone. We hope to share and inspire you to try something new, revisit an old technique you may have forgotten about, or maybe just approach that blank canvas in a new way.

So, here are some of the things you can do to be involved in this thread if you want to be.

1. Ohhh and Ahhh over the awesome layout or project that has been highlighted and head over to the gallery and show the scrapper some love.
    2. Learn something new from the tip or tutorial. It's all about becoming better at our craft!
    3. Try the technique yourself and post it in this thread for us to see.
    4. Show off other pages from the gallery that use the technique as well. Be sure to link them so we can give them the love they deserve!
    5. Ask questions about the technique that you may have or tell us how you may do it differently. There are many ways to do these things and this thread is all about the learning!

*note: this is not to be a critique of the page/project in any way, it's all about learning to emulate the awesome technique highlighted. Any negative comments about the highlighted page will be deleted.*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I really love the look of an awesome blended paper background! I came across this one by @michelepixels and just knew I had to showcase this one here:

[​IMG]

Blending papers for a background is something I do fairly often and there are actually several ways you can go about it.

One way is to use the gradient tool, which is what it looks like Michele has done here. She can correct me if I’m wrong or add to what she’s done.

Simply layer the two papers:
    1.JPG

Add a layer mask to the top paper
    2.JPG

Choose the gradient tool and then draw a line from the top edge of the image to the bottom or bottom to top or side to side, whatever way you want the gradient to go.
    4.JPG

Typically, I will then take it a step further in PS and adjust the blending options (click the fx button at the bottom and choose blending options), especially on a woodgrain to bring it out more. Adjusting the underlying layer just adds a little more blending. You can hold the alt key while sliding to separate the pieces of the triangle for different blending effects. Sometimes, I skip the gradient altogether and just do this for a more all over blend.

3.JPG

Here’s a page I did where I blended two background papers

[​IMG]

Rae also shares a way to blend papers using blend modes on the blog - https://the-lilypad.com/blending-papers/

Are you a paper blender? If so, we’d love to see it. Or if you’ve seen any great examples in the gallery, show them off here.

nhudao, Ga_L, busywoman139 and 4 others like this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm so honored to be made an example! :D

And this is still a learning experience for me because I haven't been doing it exactly like this and I think that's why I've had some trouble. I've been using the gradient tool, but forgetting to do it on a layer mask, instead just creating it on a new layer in between the two papers and then clipping the top paper to it. So I make a lot of false starts before I get it looking decent to my eye. The layer mask would allow me to adjust it more easily, right?

And then, I only just learned about the blending options from Tangie last week, applying it to text we want to make appear more realistically blended into the paper. So awesome!

3. IntenseMagic

I would think yes, you would be able to adjust more easily with the layer mask, I've never tried without :)
    Learning about the blending options was a game changer for me! I use it on so many things...papers, fonts, paints, alphas....it is awesome!!

michelepixels likes this.
  4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Blending is my favorite! (in my best Buddy The Elf impersonation!)

busywoman139 and IntenseMagic like this.
  5. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

Going to seriously toot my own horn here, lol, don't hate me. I love blending too. I typically use the gradient on a layer like Michele, I always forget to use the gradient tool on a layer mask, BUT I always use the layer mask to do non-gradient brush blending... go figure. And I LOVE the Blending Options sliders!! That was a total game changer when I found out about it!!

(Left) This one was a blend from painty paper to the mosaic we made from a photo as part of a MOC6 challenge. (Right) This was a blend from paper to photo. (6x4 click for full image)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

(Left) Paper to paper, and I also used the Blending Options to make my title "sit" on the page and look a bit textured.(6x4 click for full image) (Right) This one paper to paper, I think, it may have been paint in the matching colour, and was done using a paintbrush just in the places I felt like it needed it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

(Left) This one is a photo blended to paper, lots of fun! (Right) This is one of my fave paper blends because of how sneaky it was, lol. It is two papers, but they were opposite, so they worked absolutely perfectly! Haha!! (6x4 click for full image)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

@Chippi I love all your blending examples!

Chippi likes this.
  7. IntenseMagic

Oooh @Chippi, those are all amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing!! I was hoping that people would chime in with their examples...it's not always obvious in the gallery.

Chippi likes this.
  8. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

WOW, this is great. I blend, but never heard of using the gradient tool. Can't wait to try this!

9. IntenseMagic

Awesome!!! Make sure you come back here and post it when you do! Can't wait to see!!

10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Nancy, the gradient tool is my good friend! Here is one page where I mixed about 4 background papers! Once you try it, you will be addicted! @NancyP
    [​IMG]

jenn mccabe and michelepixels like this.
  11. IntenseMagic

Ooooh I love that!! Super awesome!!

jk703 likes this.
  12. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I often blend a solid with a patterned paper in my pages. Here's a recent one.
    [​IMG]

jenn mccabe and michelepixels like this.
  13. IntenseMagic

Ohhh that looks so lovely, Angela!!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  14. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

What great examples and a nice tutorial. I use the gradient tool, but haven't tried blending a few different papers together.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

[​IMG]

For the "Inside A Shape" challenge during MOC, I blended what is probably my favorite paper (the map paper by Kristin Aagard) with my photo.

16. scrappydonna

scrappydonna Blah blah blah

I love blending papers but never used the gradient tool. I will definitely try this next time!
    And wow, awesome sample layouts from everyone!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. IntenseMagic

Love this!! That map is perfect blended with the photo!

18. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

A few of my pages blending:
    Paper blending with a mask of painting areas out
    [​IMG]
    Gradient Mask (black to white) to blend pp to bg
    [​IMG]

19. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I love these products for creating blended papers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jenn mccabe and Dalis like this.
  20. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Lots of Lynn Grieveson Templates have masks for creating blended backgrounds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jenn mccabe likes this.