What should we read in January?

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Dec 6, 2016.

1. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I know you guys are off reading book club books to discuss... so this probably doesn't fit here. But my goals this year are 12 books for me, and 24 chapter books with my daughter. I finished "The Search" by Iris Johansen on January 1st, and have started her next one "Body of Lies". Also on my "currently reading" shelf... Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling (I've been trying to read this one for a year...), and Disconnected by L.Callel.
    And my daughter and I are finishing Magic Tree house #1 when I get my voice back....

So that is what I am reading in January. :giggle

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

@klee73010 We did Magic Tree House #1, and #2. And then read the Boxcar children. I was surprised at how much my son enjoyed that! And it was cool to introduce him to older words that aren't used as much anymore.

klee73010 likes this.
  3. klee73010

Boxcar children were my favorite when I was younger. I can't wait to read those with her, too!

Tree City and bestcee like this.
  4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@klee73010 and @bestcee I loved the Boxcar books too! DD has read a few and liked them. I'm reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder books to her currently. (Actually we just finished The Long Winter last week. There was some ignorance in some of these books that I'd forgotten about, so I'm glad I read them to her so I could use it as a teaching moment. Sorry, I'm getting off topic!) Those were some of my faves. Anyway, I love hearing about what people are reading with and/or to their kids!

klee73010 and bestcee like this.
  5. bestcee

How old? I want to read those to Matthew, but I'm not sure he's ready to listen at 6.

klee73010 likes this.
  6. klee73010

I don't remember that series, except that I think I was 5th or 6th grade when I read them.

7. Tree City

We started the series together when she was 7, I think. She's 9 now. (We read Harry Potter together too, like a book from one and then the other series, but she's too afraid to start the last HP book so we've done a run of "Little House" books.)

bestcee likes this.
  8. klee73010

How do you read Harry Potter to kids? I think I'd get irritated only reading small chunks at a time. (I like to read the whole book in one day, the whole series in a week. :giggle ) it doesn't matter that I've read them each a bazillion times.
    Really, I'm just asking how it works, or how you break it up. :giggle

Tree City likes this.
  9. Tree City

You crack me up! We read a chapter a night, usually. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It took a LONG time to read Book 6. And she's too afraid to read book 7 so IDK what we'll read next, but we better figure it out so we can read tonight!
    I will admit that DD is getting anxious to read HP to us instead of the other way around. She wants to know what happens and she can read much faster than I can speak it. She's a fast reader. Like, I used to doubt she could read that fast so I'd quiz her! So maybe I'll just give her the 7th book to read on her own... except she's such a scaredy-cat that I don't think she wants to read it onher own lol.

klee73010 likes this.
  10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I posted this thread and then got distracted prepping for MOC... so I went ahead and used the suggestions here and created a voting poll for what to read in February after MOC is done. :) Come on over and vote!

11. bestcee

@Tree City and @klee73010 That's so funny! We've totally read Harry Potter 1 with Matthew. The first three seem like easy to read books. I don't know why I didn't think of starting Little House too.

And totally, one chapter or two a night.

Tree City and klee73010 like this.