Take the Picture

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Apr 28, 2018.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I don't care if you think you look fat, or your hair needs cutting, or all you have is a cell phone. Take the picture.
    Take the picture of your family all together.
    Take the picture of you holding your kids, or your pets.
    Take the picture with friends.
    And please, take them off your cell phone and print them.

Sorry, I'm maudlin(but not through drunkenness) today.

My sister lost her husband last week. He was depressed, and ended his life.
    When I was helping her make a slideshow of his life to play at the funeral, all the photos she had from their 3 years together were on the cell phones. She had none from before they were together, those were lost when he changed phones. Luckily, she was sent over about 15 from a family relative from his childhood. So, she has those as well.

She has three family photos with their 2.5 month old daughter. 1 - on the hospital bed just after birth. 2 - on the couch in front of a bright window using the front cellphone camera. 3 - him in the casket, her and daughter standing next to it.
    And it made me so sad. She said that they were going to get family photos done professionally, but....
    So please, take the photo. Don't worry about what you look like, because if it's the last one you have, you won't care. She loves that photo on the couch now. It's very precious to her. But because it was uploaded to Facebook, and the original lost, the biggest it can be printed without becoming too pixelated is 4x6.

And if you've missed me, that's where I've been - with my sister. On the bright side, and with this theme: All of us kids came together for her. So, we took a family photo - kids and parents. After the funeral. In the backyard with two dogs running around, and a mother in law who asked me three times how to push the camera button. And none of those details matter. What matters is we have a recent photo.

suzyqscraps, KarenW, rchansen and 8 others like this.
  2. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

Sorry for your loss... my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Your words are so true...take the picture!

bestcee likes this.
  3. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I’m so sorry about your brother-in-law. You have given us really sound advice and I feel so sad for your sister and niece. Comfort and strength to you and your family.

bestcee likes this.
  4. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your family's loss!

I wonder if there's something they can do with the 4x6 on the couch...I think there are artists who will work off a 4x6 and paint a family portrait. Or maybe it can be blown up in PS and then an artistic filter applied that will hide the pixelation.

bestcee likes this.
  5. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

Wow. Thanks for the encouragement to take our photos. So sorry about your brother-in-law. Such a hard thing to deal with. Hugs to all of you.

bestcee likes this.
  6. bestcee

I played with it for awhile yesterday. A sketch look is okay, but she wanted to be able to see them if that makes sense?

7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I am so sorry for your loss.

I have been saying the same thing for over 10 years. When I started digi-scrapping in 2008 I wanted to do a layout of photos of me with my mother, just the 2 of us. The last photo I had of us was when I was 10 years old in 1966 and she had already been gone for 12 years. I did the same layout for my dad and I and our last photo was in 1996 when I went to his Navy reunion with him since Mom was too ill to make the trip. So starting in 2008 I made it a point to take a photo with my dad every couple of years when I saw him in the summer (he lived in NC, I'm in OH). Last one was Aug of 2015, he died in June of 2016.

I did have photos of the 3 of us with the last one being taken at a wedding just a month before Mom passed away. It's not the best photo (red eye!) but I have scanned it and fixed it up and it is my favorite.

PSA: Even if you are a digital scrapper, print out at least some of your photos. And, make sure they are backed up in more than one place.

bestcee likes this.
  8. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Thanks for the reminder. Photos matter....

So sorry for your loss Courtney.

bestcee likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

So sorry, Courtney! You and your family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
    And thank you for the reminder. It is so important!

bestcee likes this.
  10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm so sorry for your loss, Courtney. You are absolutely right about taking pictures. Again, so sorry.

bestcee likes this.
  11. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

That's all so sad

bestcee likes this.
  12. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Hugs, @bestcee , and prayers for you, your sister, and your family. Thank you for sharing this pain with us to remind us to take care of the important things.

bestcee likes this.
  13. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Oh no Courtney! So sorry for you & your family's loss. Such a good reminder! Also BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP so we don't lose the photos we happen to have!

bestcee likes this.
  14. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

@bestcee My thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones over such a tragic loss.
    Thank you for the words of wisdom about taking photos.

bestcee likes this.
  15. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

We have missed you and worried about you. I know words don't do justice but I am so sorry and will pray for you and your family through this hard time. Thank you for this reminder.

bestcee likes this.
  16. bestcee

This is so true too!
    I printed out some photos for her today. Paid for them, and she picked them up at Persnickety Prints. (Sidenote: They emailed me and offered to not give her the invoice! That was awesome). She cried when I talked to her on the phone. She had never printed out a photo of the two of them! And the friend-professional photos she had taken of her daughter hadn't been printed yet either. Sigh. It reminds me I need to print some more for my family too.

And totally on the backup! I threw all her photos in my Flickr so they have a second location, not just my mom's computer. And showed her how to backup to Google Drive (Android user) so at least if she switches phones again, she won't lose her photos again!

I was telling my husband that she has less than 1000 photos from their entire relationship. His response made me laugh: You sometimes take 1000 photos in a day! (Not quite honey. Not quite!)

17. bestcee

Thanks everyone for the love and prayers. :heartslubI missed you guys. It's nice to 'come home' to TLP.

18. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Good to have you back, Courtney. I am so sorry for your family's loss. I can't imagine how your sister must feel.

You know, what you are saying is the reason why I got a new phone the other day with a really good front camera. I love to take family selfies with the four of us when we are out and the one on my old iPhone really sucked (4s). So now the front camera is way better with a wide angle lense and I am shooting family selfies whenever I can.

bestcee likes this.
  19. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Again Courtney, I am so sorry for your sister and your family's loss. What you have said here is absolutely true and I have advocated that all the time too. My heart breaks for your sister. I will keep her and your neice in my prayers.

bestcee likes this.
  20. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss Courtney, my heart goes out for you and your family. What a tragedy...

My husband died 5 years ago, thank god I had lots and lots of pictures of him with the kids. They are so precious. We also didn't have much pictures with the 4 of us. I don't really mind that, cause I know I took all these happy pictures so I was always there, just not visible.
    What did struck me, was that I also didn't have much pictures where I was on, since I was aways behind the camera. What if it was me who died, then the kids wouldn't have many pictures of their mom.
    From that moment I'm in the pictures a lot (I love my selfie stick)

I'm guilty of not printing on regular basis, your message really reminds me to do that more often.

bestcee and berniek like this.