Tagging and Organizing Digital Kits

Discussion in 'Help Pad' started by summerl, Jul 22, 2016.

1. summerl

summerl New Member

I have tried searching these forums along with other forums trying to find the right answer to this so I apologize if this has been discussed before. How do all of you organize your digital scrapbooking stuff? I have been using Picasa for a couple of yrs now and it's worked great! I love how I can tag everything and do an easy search when I want to find something specific. I just got a new comp today and want to start off right and learned that Picasa is now replaced by Google photos. I have another system I use to organize my photos so I'm not looking into uploading any actual photos only my digital elements. I have looked into ACDCee but I see it's now a monthly fee verses buying the program outright. Do any of you use Google photos for tagging? How do you like it? Any ideas or info would be much appreciated. TIA :)

KellyM likes this.
  2. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

well.... here are several about organizing, in which I'm certain tagging is discussed.

https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/almost-done-organizing-my-tlp-stash.41668/page-2#post-709985
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/acdsee.9881/#post-135767
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/organize-your-stash-tips-from-chat-5-16.43024/
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/organize-your-pad-march.30726/

I also really like some blog posts on "the daily digi" about google photos specifically, posted by Wendy Zine

I personally use Elements Organizer, and here's a thread about that...
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/photoshop-elements-organizer.42122/#post-719080

and in the tips from chat thread above, I linked up to a fellow scrapper's blog (Angie), and I absolutely love the idea of her tagging, though mine is not quite as extensive as hers.

I will suggest using terms "organize" or "tagging" in the forum search to scroll through, and you'd probably be most successful in the Scrapping Pad or the Chatty Pad, or Learning Pad. I will also suggest the TLP blog, and you can use the search function there, and lastly, any designer's blog *might* have some references, too.

Hopefully these help get you in the right direction :) Welcome to the pad!

3. summerl

summerl New Member

Thank you very much! I'll start with these :)

Cath_ and klee73010 like this.
  4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

You may want to consider giving Adobe Bridge a whirl.

It's free. Yes, free. You only need to have an Adobe ID in order to download it. You don't have to have any other Adobe programs to download it. It's a media browsing application and lets you not only view your files, but you can keyword them as well.

I am just now exploring it (I currently use ACDSee), and I'm considering having a class about using the program to organize digital supplies in the future.

5. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

:agree I use Adobe Bridge for a million different things (batch renaming, tagging, etc)

summerl and gonewiththewind like this.
  6. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I've used ACDSee to organize my digi supplies for years and love it. I was surprised to see that it is only going to be available as a monthly subscription so I went and checked on the website. ACDSee 19 is being offered there for $41.95 there until August 1st, no subscription required.

summerl and gonewiththewind like this.
  7. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Cheryl, I'll be interested in wha you think about Bridge after some usage. The only thing that would get me to 'move' my digi stash from Lightroom to Bridge is to be able to have my photos AND my cataloged stash open at the same time.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

Compared to ACDSee, which is much more automated in dragging keywords onto items (I LOVE that feature), I'm finding it a little more time intensive in some ways, but after playing a bit, I found some work arounds. Leave it to me to find the lazy ways. LOL I'll keep you updated!

9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I think if I were truly committed to a PC I might use ACDSee but for Macs it's not a good option. I don't quite have time this week to look at or for Bridge tutorials. It did however pull my LR keywords in as I'd hoped and expected but not exactly how I expected it to look if ykwim.

10. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I use Picasa to organize my photos (offline); and I use a mix of ACDSee and the Windows file system to organize my digital kits.

You can get access to all of the ACDSee applications for a monthly fee, but I'm using the plain old ACDSee for my digital kits. (Version 14. I've been thinking about upgrading, and looking at it right now, I see I can upgrade to Version 19 for $19.95. This thread is going to cost me money! LOL)

summerl likes this.
  11. summerl

summerl New Member

I Do have adobe bridge along with PS. I started out using bridge for tagging then one day I opened it up and half of the tagging / organizing I did was gone :( I gave it one more shot and it did it again about a mth later. I then gave up on it. I do have a new comp now maybe it would work better.

12. summerl

summerl New Member

I will go back and check it out. Thank you!

13. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

Hhmmm, I also noticed google stopped supporting Picasa some weeks ago. I freaked out to be honest.
    I have been trying to use Lightroom to tag and sort things, but still returned to Picasa, because lack of time and the ability of the face recognition. I use this feature alot to search for someone when I need a specific person.
    It still works on my pc and I have the install program saved now, so I will keep using it till I no longer can.
    Meanwhile, I'll check your experiences too! :tu

summerl likes this.
  14. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I haven't tried it, but PSE Organizer supposedly does facial recognition for tagging photos. Photos are my next goal...

15. summerl

summerl New Member

When tagging you can drag and drop, like into folders or?? In Picasa I had to write EVERY TAG out and it was VERY time consuming!!!

16. summerl

summerl New Member

They said the last update on Picasa was in 2013 I think I read!! Which it's worked fine for me but now with switching comps, starting over is a slight nightmare to me!! I would love to make google folders to work but when I first opened it up it automatically uploaded EVERYTHING on both my EHD from digital element, photos ect and automatically made albums, ect... I want to pull my hair out lol.

17. PLM

Oh gosh, I think there have been more updates since 2013, no? Is it Picasa 3 that you are running? I have Windows 10 and it's running very good.

I don't know what you mean with Google folders? Do you mean the new desktop app they offer? I believe it's simply for uploading photos, nothing more.

18. PLM

That would be a lovely feature indeed!

19. gonewiththewind

Lightroom CC has facial recognition. If you watch the first two recordings of the Lightroom Summer School series, you can see it in action.

Yes. Over on the side is the list of tags. I just hover over it and then click and drag to the folder I want to be tagged. It's super easy and I'm not finding Bridge is nearly that convenient.

20. summerl

summerl New Member

I would have to look on my other comp where Picasa is. Picasa is running great for me too. However, I switched to a new comp and with it no longer "out there" trying to find the best way to basically start over. Not really sure how to switch my picasa from old comp to new. All the tut's I have found says to re-download the program. So I thought if there was a newer or better way to do things then I would try that without going through all the hassle. Although the idea of starting over is a nightmare honestly. And I meant to say google photos NOT folders...opps!! I have been trying to start there b/c that is what they have replaced Picasa with but it's so automated and is based on photos so everything is by dates, ect again kind of a nightmare. I think maybe if I just try and take the time to figure it out it might work but I hate putting all the effort and time into it and finding it's not going to work!