Summer

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, May 24, 2018.

1. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Summer to me can start when we have to turn the a/c on. It's not a happy day for me because I really dislike our humidity. We've had it on for a day or two and then again when we had so many days of heavy, heavy rain we put the heat on to dry the damp out!!

But really, summer mentally starts when it's Graduation/Commissioning week at the United States Naval Academy here. The practice day for the Blue Angels is one I like to get outside and try to get a photo or two. Each year I swear I'll go downtown (to the roof of a parking garage) to really see the main show. So far I've never gone down and the trees on our street have grown so much it's harder to see the jets as they fly so low. Today is Graduation so it's a day not to consider driving as security is so tight. 10:04 the Blue Angels do their stadium sweep. I do plan to walk up the hill to see that!

2. DisneyMom

DisneyMom official mousketeer

Summer to me is BBQ's, Ice Cream, Baseball and Disney.

It's the time of the year when my oldest baby girl gets a year older (and I get a year older). It's the time of the year when we eat ice cream until our bellies hurt, we play in the sprinklers, pools and have water fights. It's when our driveways is always covered in chalk art work and the girls start their lemonade stands to earn spending money for Disney. Summer is when we take late night walks as a family around the block before bedtime. It's when we camp out in the tent in the back yard and when we stay up late star gazing. It's when our evenings are filled with baseball (tball) games and practices. And when we wrap up our planning and begin our yearly trip to Disney World.

Summer is by far my favourite. I love the heat :photo:swingin:hammock

jenn mccabe and bestcee like this.
  3. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Right there with you, Desi. If I was to post a picture of what summer is to me, I’d have to post Hades...LOL.

Though, that doesn’t stop me from scrapping great summer pics of my children from the sun-free, air-conditioned sanctuary of my office. :D

bestcee and GlazeFamily3 like this.
  4. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Brat fries, farmers' markets, and reading out on the deck - I love summer!

(BTW, brat = bratwurst, not unruly children)

5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Omgosh there is nothing I don't love about summers! Except watermelon, I'm not really a fan. Open windows, fresh cut grass, early mornings on the deck with my coffee and book, thunderstorms, the end of school and sports, and just a peaceful atmosphere when we can do what we want, when we want.

jesskab and bestcee like this.
  6. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

The beginning of summer to me is (01) school getting out, (02) going to the beach over Memorial Day weekend, and (03) 'The Bachelorette' premiere.

:giggle :giggle :giggle

These will all happen in the next 10 days. Yippee!

bestcee and DisneyMom like this.
  7. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Watermelon, Corn on the Cob, BBQ parties, etc...

Growing up it was swimming suites, playing outside, neighbor friends and thunderstorms.

jesskab likes this.
  8. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

Yes!! We always get a watermelon on Victoria Day Weekend (aka May 2-4). Except because Ruth and I were camping last weekend, we got the Watermelon this weekend.

jesskab and bestcee like this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This still blows my mind. Like, I totally know that seasons are different, but watermelon Christmas trees? That sounds awesome! I may have to do a Christmas in June theme....

You are not totally in the minority! There's a far amount of us that live where summer = HOT! My latest popsicle creations have been the leftover smoothie from the morning. I'm loving not buying the store popsicles!

Lucky! I wish we were near the water. The beach sounds heavenly.

Karen and bellbird like this.
  10. bestcee

Um. Yes. This.
    [​IMG]

Cooler in the car to get the groceries home without them cooking on the way.....

I had a similar experience when we visited my grandparents on their farm in Utah. I wish I could give my kid that experience.

I'm determined that at some point I will go to Coeur d'Alene. I've heard it's beautiful up there!

amien1 and bbymks5 like this.
  11. bestcee

Yep! This. Except my family liked to remind me when I post playing at the park, and they have ice and snow everywhere!

Interesting fact: Our local farm stops their farmer's market in the summer because it's too hot for the vegetables. I miss regular Farmer's Markets. Enjoy exploring them!

That sounds marvelous! I love when we can have the doors and windows open!

This is my plan too. I'm calling it "School Lite", but my intention is to kill some of the indoor time without electronics.

Me too!

MrsEm likes this.
  12. bestcee

Mmm! I love that smell!

Yes! we had Lake Effect Snow in Southern Ontario - Lake Erie. The opposite thing is so true!

That sounds fabulous!

I love these memories!

LOL! I should try your approach - more scrapping, less sun!

londoncuppa likes this.
  13. bestcee

This sounds fabulous!

Yeah! You have an exciting couple of days coming up!

I love Corn on the Cob!

Those both sound like awesome summer things!

14. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Yep!! That's a must have here LOL! I always grab the frozen stuff last when we shop too!

bestcee likes this.
  15. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

this is so sweet ... you have to scrap this very journaling! :)

DisneyMom likes this.
  16. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I just told my husband we're going to Tilden Park tomorrow. They have a merry-go-round, a steam train, cows, & a bunch of other stuff. That's the way I want to spend my day off, feeding lettuce to cows.

Next week is my graduation party. I think that will feel like the start of summer. Friends & BBQ. @IntenseMagic , 7yr old Jamie can eat an entire Dulcinea watermelon in one sitting. He loves it. We're planning to ditch the last day of school for the boys. LEGOLAND gave us free tickets & I am not letting those go to waste. They have 2 waterparks. That will be a very summery day.

cfile likes this.
  17. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Make June a whole celebration month Jess!!!! You deserve it!

jesskab likes this.
  18. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Are you all trying to make me jealous here..,..it’s not even winter here yet and I’m freezing. Currently at 3am cause I can’t sleep it’s 2.3 degrees celsius or 36 degrees fahrenheit.......brrrrr

19. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

I have a question. For all of you who are having opposite seasons from us...like here, we have summer coming up. And you have winter weather. Do you call your season winter? Or do you call it summer and just have the cold weather in summer? Just curious. I'd have a hard time calling a very cold wintery type weather summer just because according to the experts this time of year is officially summer. But then...if I lived where you are, maybe I wouldn't! I know...you are all probably confused at where I'm going with this.