Subscription Boxes Redux |Pad Patter 9.13

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Sep 13, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

What do you subscribe to? What have you tried? What do you like about them? What's your favorite? What do you wish came in a subscription box?

I know we talked about this before, but in the last 18 months I feel like there are many more boxes, and more companies doing them! Even just little snack boxes, or diet specific snack boxes. I saw a keto snack one advertised the other day. I notices that there are now 5 or 6 meals in a box compared to the 2 that I knew of before! I've also seen country ones where they send a box full of treats from a specific country.

We are only doing a dog one right now. Poor dog, without the box we forget to buy him new treats and toys!

bbymks5 likes this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

LOL re the dog. Glad though he gets monthly new treats & toys!!

We don't do any of the box subscriptions. My only monthly subscriptions are Photo Shop CC/LR and Netflix! :)

bbymks5 and bestcee like this.
  3. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I don't do any.
    My daughter Anna does one...... I'm pretty sure it's ipsy. She loves it.
    https://www.ipsy.com/

bestcee likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I don't have any subscription boxes. If there was a decently priced one for paints and mixed media goodies I would consider it. I found Sketchbox, but that was mostly pens and markers and pencils for people who have the magical gift of being able to draw a straight line. Lol. I do not possess that gift. :giggle

sushimommy, cfile and bestcee like this.
  5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

None for me... but plenty I'd like to try, but $$ mostly. I have gotten free Hello Fresh, Blue Apron, and those were fun (Hello Fresh was better). I would love to try free ones, lol... or greatly reduced ones. I really would love to try Stitch Fix... but it's expensive.

bestcee likes this.
  6. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I get a monthly Ipsy bag...my daughter and I will usually split it up. I've found some good face product out of it but there are some months that are just meh.

My husband does the monthly shave club. I love their razors. He's kind of scruffy so he doesn't shave too often. I use them the most and it is sooooo much cheaper than buying razors at the store.

keepscrappin, bbymks5 and bestcee like this.
  7. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I do a planner kit sub and my daughter is just starting the Pura Vida bracelet monthly sub. But that's it for us. I thought about the dog one ... but I have three dogs ... and yes they do fight over toys ... so when it comes to treats for them, I'm better off buying 3 of everything on my own!

bbymks5, bestcee and KatrinaHunt13 like this.
  8. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

We have two we (I use that term loosely since Clara claims them both) get in our house... Sephora Play and Beauty Box 5. We started a while back when Clara was first starting to get into make-up... it was a way for her to play around with different products without investing a lot. Here are our observations:

Sephora Play: Good quality products, dependable delivery. Not always the most exciting box, but consistent and, like I said, good quality products.

Beauty Box 5: Where to begin on this one? This one was more "fun"... much wider variety of items. Some were a hit (like the quick dry hair wrap, make up brushes, fun hair ties), but others were a miss (really strange color choices for things sometimes). So, overall, I would say that they are very inconsistent all around... you never know what you're going to get or when you're going to get it. I mentioned the wide variety of items, but they also include a wide quality range of products... like, it's not all that unusual to get a drug store brand sample bottle of body wash or shampoo as one of your 5 items. Although you always end up with at least $10 worth of product in the box, that's not what we were looking for in a subscription box. And then there's the shipping issues. They used to be delivered around the 15th of each month. They kept getting later and later. Clara got her July box around August 10th. My email stated that this was a one time issue and assured me that the August boxes would go out on the 15th... we still have no August box. I went to their fb page and learned that the August boxes are delayed due to their warehouse being flooded in Houston. I totally get that, but if they had gone out when they said that they were going to, then this would have been a non-issue. And my bigger issue is the lack of communication.... they has been nothing sent directly to us as subscribers and there have been no fb updates since 8/28 and no instagram posts since July (except for the one about the hurricane). I think it's time to cut our loses and move on from this one.

My daughter is thinking about canceling both boxes and going with Ipsy now.

I used to do Stitch Fix and still do when I have something coming up... but I found, not only is it expensive, but I don't end up wearing a lot of the stuff I kept. I may do a Stitch Fix Men's box for my son... he HATES to shop and needs some dressier clothes this year with all of the senior stuff. Also, he and my husband wear close to the same size, so they could share the box. We'll see though.

9. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I forgot about that! My husband does that also.... my husband and son really like their hair products too.

bbymks5 likes this.
  10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I used to subscribe to ipsy and birchbox. I liked BB more than ipsy; in fact, my DH is so wonderful that he walked to the BB NYC store when he was in the city for work and got me stuff!

But those boxes turned into DD and me "playing" with the makeup instead of me ever actually wearing it out of the house: I just don't wear makeup anymore. I just wanted to find some hair care products that worked (and I did: Miss Jessie's multicultural curls is my best friend!), and as fun as it is to "play" makeup with DD, it just wasn't worth it anymore cuz I basically cycled through BB's curly-hair products and ipsy is more makeup than hair. I get why people who love makeup love ipsy, but I'm too old (and frankly, too boring) for purple lipstick (yes, I got purple lipstick 2 years ago). Maybe when DD is old enough to actually wear makeup, then I'll sign her up for a box as a bday present.

I have a friend who LOVES StitchFix, but I'm not convinced that SF would find enough tall stuff for me that I can't find for myself.

My DH loves to knit, so I've been thinking about gifting him the Sock Crate from Knit Crate. Problem is, it takes him 2 or 3 months to finish a pair of socks, so a monthly subscription would quickly get "backlogged" lol.

11. carrie1977

He has tried some of their hair products, too, but only once. He liked them ok but not enough to keep purchasing them.

12. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

@Tree City My other half is 6'4 with a 32/34 waist and can rarely find pants in his size yet they've nailed it the last two boxes. (I say last, but they're his only 2.. lol)

And that segues into the fact that I use Stitch Fix because let's face it, I need the help of a stylist. Otherwise I'd be in jeans and a t-shirt.. a boring t-shirt. Well, that's not ENTIRELY true, I have some cute pieces, but since my health took a major dive and I can't drive, getting to stores to shop with someone who is not impatient isn't exactly an option. I'm liking them, but yes they ARE kind of expensive. It's the only subscription I have though.

13. bestcee

I think I'll stick to digi on this! But I am shocked there isn't one with all the other boxes directed at paper crafts.

bbymks5 likes this.
  14. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@Serena Do you live near a store called The Buckle? They have men's jeans (and sometimes khakis) in lots of lengths--up to 36". Maybe that'd help your DH with casual wear. :)

Maybe I'll ask for a Stitch Fix sub. for myself, for Christmas. DH says I'm hard to shop for, so that might be a good thing for him to five me.

Serena and bestcee like this.
  15. bestcee

I will say this: We do barkbox, and get 2 toys. Their customer service has been amazing at replacing thing he hates, or that make him sick (treats) or that he destroyed in 5 minutes once! Normally, he can't destroy them that fast. But I totally get it! We've loved it - but now that the treats will be in Target, I'm tempted to just pick some up there instead.

16. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

I subscribe to "At Home with Nikki" NStyle box. It's every other month and there has only been two so far. I have loved both boxes. The first one had fancy tea, a teacup, teabag trays, beadable pen, cloth napkins, and blingy napkin rings. The second one had a cute small bag (like for makeup or pens and pencils), some daily planner pages, essential oils, a glass spray bottle, and a hair tie bracelet. I've been very happy with both. The box is wonderful and I'm using them for organizing things. Each box is $35 so expensive, but only every other month. I love it!
    I also get Ipsy, but sometimes it's just meh. I have found some mascara that I love though.

bbymks5 likes this.
  17. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I haven't subscribed to any boxes, but I do have a friend that does one of the snack/candy boxes that has different countries snacks/treats and they have fun with it.

I've always wondered about the the razor boxes...do you have the Dollar Shave box or a different one? How long do the razors seem to last?

18. sushimommy

sushimommy Could you point me to the helipad?

We haven't done any for a while, but am thinking about doing Uppercase (YA books) and dd has asked about Birchbox so that sub might be part of her Christmas this year

19. carrie1977

Yes, it's the Dollar Shave box. I will use a razor for a good two weeks (I shave about every other day). They are REALLY great razors.

bbymks5 likes this.
  20. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I haven't done any box subscriptions yet. We have PSCC/LR and just got netflix a month or so ago. I do think a shaving club box would be good for DH though. I like him clean shavin and it would be nice to have it delivered right to the house.