Staying on top of MOC

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges 2018' started by littlekiwi, Jan 7, 2018.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Im currently 6 days behind, by the time I scrap later I’ll be 7. i dont mind being 1-2 days behind but its a bit much as it stands. The reward will really stretch my ailing budget so thats whats keeping me going.

bestcee likes this.
  2. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

You can do it Jennifer! We are here to help where we can. You don't have to do the challenges in order, so just pick the one that speaks to you right now and go for it! I'm 5 days behind, but that's ok. I'm just going to take it one challenge and one step at a time. I'm a slow scrapper too, so I do some of the things suggested to help speed it up. I almost always use templates. I scrap with one kit and let go of perfection.

Cheryl (Fiddle-Dee-Dee) just put a bunch of her monthly freebie templates in the store in December, so peeps could use and link to those for MOC and count towards the 75% in-store requirement. They are called Fiddlesticks Sets and there are 7 sets in the store. https://the-lilypad.com/store/search.php?mode=search&page=1 Look in the description to see which templates you might already have in your stash. Then pick your photos and just one kit and scrap, scrap, SCRAP!

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Is this where you were playing with the face? My recommendation during MOC is to not add too many new things at once. So, maybe save that idea for next month, or save that layout for last of the group you are trying to catch up on. I have picked different photos and made a note of what I want to try when I feel I have more time to play. That way I'm not spending a lot of time redoing what's not working. But I still get to create it later.

An hour? A day?
    I had too much computer time yesterday, so my steps were atrocious!

4. littlekiwi

@bestcee it was but none of my layouts for any of my challenges were coming together apart from the dispersion one where I figured technique + simple = done. I tried 2 or 3 different ideas and layouts for the day 9 challenge which was where that photo technique was going to be used. Thinking I might spend some time in the morning sorting supplies and planning challenges to reduce stress. Might even need to buy some supplies to help me along.

5. littlekiwi

@keepscrappin Im doing the ones that speak to me first. So far Ive done Sketch, Mood Board and Dispersion. I have ideas for Bingo, 20 photos and Letter to future self and picked the photo for the photo challenge. It doesnt help Im not a kit scrapper and dont organize by kit or designer and shock horror am not exclusively a TLP shopper (probably 30-40% of my stash is TLP)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    keepscrappin likes this.
  6. mollyscraps

mollyscraps Feeding everyone's sweet tooth

My number one advice is stop stressing it! Frustration blocks creativity and is actually hindering you. This year I have only finished 3 LOs as of today, the 9th. However, I have started my journaling for today's challenge, created what is essentially a quickpage for the BINGO challenge (I don't know what photos I want to use yet), picked what view I am using for Day 4's photo, and found a photo for Day 5. You don't have to complete a LO start to finish in one sitting! Just keep track of what you have done on paper. You can do this!!!

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. littlekiwi

I’ve got lots of ideas thanks to a very very full pinterest board - think I might pick 10 or so layouts that I really love from the close to 1000 to make it easier.

Probably more than anything, it’s my lack of knowledge beyond the bare basics with my program that’s frustrating me - I have reserved a couple of books for PSE 15 from the library that should help.

Also the way I sort my supplies is not by store so unless they are still in my to sort folder everything is organized by type of product/design or subject and comes from many stores/designers and in some cases I’ve lost TLP supplies that I had prior to April 2017 when I had my laptop stolen and missed an important email regarding a reset til months later. Think I started redownloading but never finished.

For some reason, once I start a layout, unless I give up on it I finish it in the same sitting - been like that for the 10 years I’ve digi scrapped

8. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I think hers is just in the morning... something to keep from going straight from bed to the computer (since she works at home). I have that tendency too... well, after the kids go off to school. So taking a short walk first makes me a little more mentally ready to "do work" on my computer vs. just aimlessly click about. You could do it throughout the day though. I've been walking to the grocery store every day to pick up just what we need for the next 24 hours... so that's my afternoon walk before I settle down to work again.

bestcee and keepscrappin like this.
  9. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Hay hay hay---I'm bbaaccckkkkkkk!!! I took some time off from my scrapbooking sites quite a few months ago . Was really burned out, but would NEVER let MOC sneak by me! Although I did forget about it until today!! AAGGHHHH ; nine days behind!!! So don't feel bad, Jennifer!! I am SOOO less stressed this year; being my third year. This year I am going to ENJOY everything and stop being so picky!!! I spent the day scrapbooking and have 3 done already. I figure 3 a day and I will be caught up. I am a pretty fast scrapper. I can look at the directions for a challenge and have it pretty much figured out in my head what I want to do. I was so excited to see the Mood Board challenge and the Dispersion challenge!! I do the Mood Board challenge every month for another site and have a folder FULL of mood boards! BUT----I did do a new one for this challenge. And I LOVE doing dispersion layouts!! One of my favorites! As far as staying on top?? RELAX and go with the flow!! Make this FUN!!!! So glad to be back!!!!!

10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Good to see you back again! :)

11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

@NancyP Good to see you again! I'm glad you remembered MOC!
    I love your tip to not be picky, and just enjoy yourself. That's a good one!

12. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Welcome back @NancyP we've missed you!

13. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

If you figure it out, let me know! :helpy I've never been brave enough to even try before this year, but I decided to push myself. I'm usually a 2-3 layout a week scrapper because it takes me about 2 nights to finish a page. (I'm a slow scrapper and don't get to scrap until 9 or 10 at night.) I've only got 3 done and a 4th half done. I'm pushing on, but I don't know if I can do it!

I told myself that I could plan in lots of extra weekend scrapping time to make up for my lack of layouts during the week. But then we decided to tackle a house project now that we thought we'd do in the spring. I can't regret it because it needed to happen, but it means my extra weekend time has gone to that instead.

bestcee likes this.
  14. littlekiwi

Well I’ve done two tonight with 4 to go. still only 9pm here so might get another 1-2 layouts done. I’ll be awake for probably 4ish hours so as long as I dont take hours on each layout I might get semi caught up.

EHStudios likes this.
  15. Saar

Saar Well-Known Member

This for me as well.
    I read the challenge in the morning or during lunch break at work.
    I try to think about the kit and photo(s) I want to scrap during the day. Then when I come home from work and made dinner, did the dishes etc... I can scrap. So far it seems to be working for me.

bestcee likes this.
  16. NancyP

Good for you @littlekiwi I knew you could do it! You will be caught up in no time. And @rach3975 if there were some advise I could give you, I think it would be, as I said before, don't be picky. The first year I did this, I sweated over each and every layout like I was going to receive a million dollars if I won!!! If it is taking you long to do them, then simple them up a bit. Also, use simple templates or ideas from galleries, if this helps. Find something you like and then put that layout together!!! Yes, in past years, there were MOC layouts I did that I didn't like, but after MOC I would go back and THEN put time into them making them more to my liking. But during MOC you don't have time. Again, I repeat myself, just have FUN!!!! I was so stressed out the first year, but now I just have fun!!! HUGS!!!!

rach3975 likes this.
  17. Maree

Maree Member

Hey Nancy ♥
    I havnt basically scrapped for several years, but decided that I AM going to get my pictures scrapped. So I saw this and thought it would be the perfect way to accomplish that. I am behind, the mood board and dispersion one I am dancing around. I have an action that will do the dispersion effect, but that's cheating. I am hoping to catch up on the weekend. My only goal for this is to get all the layouts done and get my scrapping back on :)

I am very confident you can do this, enjoy it :)

bestcee likes this.
  18. NancyP

OH MY GOSH, is that really you @Maree ???? How awesome to see you, my good friend!!!!! Catch you on Facebook now and then but I am hardly on Facebook anymore. Yes, you will certainly get pictures scrapped with this MOC month!! It is really fun. This is my third year. SOOOOO good to see you here! Sending you BIG BIG HUGS across the waters!!!!

19. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

how I love seeing you!

20. NancyP

@AnneofAlamo oh my friend, I have missed you and thought about you so much!