So many art journaling styles to explore!!

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by Lynne-Marie, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Lynne-Marie

Lynne-Marie there is beauty in everything

AJTips-LM.jpg
    When it comes to art journaling styles, the sky is the limit! It is truly a means of self expression and creative exploration. It is defined by your own tastes and emotions. One distinguishing feature that separates art journaling from traditional scrapbooking is the purpose for which it is done. In art journaling we are seeking not so much to capture a memory as to define an emotion.

If you are new to art journaling, you may be wondering where to start. I like to springboard off an emotion I may be feeling… the fear of growing older, love for my family, frustrations, personal struggles, changes in my life…etc. Often a piece of word art will capture my emotion, so I use that as the focus of my page. If I include a photo, it is usually one of the person, place or thing that may be causing the emotion. However, a photo is not always necessary. This is why art journalers will often use illustrated faces or vintage images to embody the emotion.

Let's take a look at a few art journaling styles you may want to explore on your journey in creativity. There are many more than those listed below, but it will give you a great place to start! Why not try your hand at a few of these just for fun!

-------------------------- :heartlub :heartlub :heartlub --------------------------​

ABSTRACT ART - The art on the page does not relate directly to real life but rather serves to represent emotions, people, places or events. Colours and journaling or word art are used to express emotion. Characters (if present) are either non-human or a kind of hybrid human mix.

[​IMG]
    My Life by @dvhoward

[​IMG]
    tired by @Cath_

[​IMG]
    Family Raven by @dotcomkari

IMAGERY - Similar to abstract art, but the focus of the page embodies the message. Little journaling is necessary.

[​IMG]
    Delight - by @peppapig

[​IMG]
    The start of something wonderful by @lorryfach

[​IMG]
    Raindrops by @Alegna

EPHEMERA ART - Vintage images make up this art journaling style. They may be combined with scribbles and paint or other artistic touches.

[​IMG]
    Passion by @designbylime

[​IMG]
    Peculiar Happy Child by @mimisgirl

[​IMG]
    Change the World by @lorryfach

COLLAGE - This style may include ephemera images, but not necessarily. It involves the use of clippings from books, magazines or newspapers, both vintage and modern. Again, they may include scribbles, paint or other artistic mediums.

[​IMG]
    layout by @dvhoward

[​IMG]
    Quiet Memories by @wombat146

[​IMG]
    I am by @mimisgirl

WORD ART - The focus of the page is on the title or quote.

[​IMG]
    acceptance by @chigirl

[​IMG]
    Time is Nothing by @Jeanet

[​IMG]
    Positive by @livelys

REALISM - This style of art journaling is grounded in a real-life situation with related photos and is closer to traditional scrapbooking. However, it includes the use of artistic mediums to convey emotion and aesthetic features.

[​IMG]
    fav by @marnel

[​IMG]
    If this isn't love by @Cristina

[​IMG]
    Fun by @MiekSter

YOUR TURN: Try one of these styles, preferably one you have never tried before, and post your layout here pointing out which style you tried and how you enjoyed the creative process. Be sure to link it to the gallery so we can comment on your layout! Have fun!​

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    sbpoet, amandac, jenn mccabe and 8 others like this.
  2. beszteri

beszteri CT - Lynne-Marie

Wow, great article, @Lynne-Marie ! I can't wait to play!

3. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

very interesting

4. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Love the inspiration!

5. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I love AJ. I just wish I had more time to play with/in it.

6. Lynne-Marie

I'll start: Here's one of my favourite layouts using the Wordart focused style:

[​IMG]

and yet another:

[​IMG]

Do you have a layout that demonstrates one of these styles? Post it below! :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Ga_L likes this.
  7. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Abstract done today. Maybe I should go down the list. That would get it all out! Thank for this. Lots of good ideas and where to start for different things.

8. Lynne-Marie

@carilyne I'd love to see your abstract layout! Post it here when you have time. ;)

9. Smwhite

Smwhite Well-Known Member

What a great showcase of art journal styles! Love it!

10. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I would but it's my very down day scrapping. But I would PM you if you want to see.

11. nrjanitz

nrjanitz Well-Known Member

12. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I finally got to really read and enjoy the post! Thank you Lynn-Marie!!!

Lynne-Marie likes this.
  13. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

okay, THIS is what I needed! Thank you for sharing ways I can get my journal on in some other fancy ways ♥

lmccandless and Lynne-Marie like this.
  14. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Thank you!! This is such a great info and SO inspiring too!

15. paula kesselring

paula kesselring Designer

16. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Interesting because some of these styles are SO NOT me. And some are. And some are neither yet and I will probably try out. I like that this place leaves the interpretation of AJ open.
    I have an ex-colleague that gives paper AJ classes but she only focusses on one specific style and it always kind of annoys me when I see that. My style is not hers. My style may be nobodys style. But that's ok. That's the whole point of Art Journaling, that it's YOU.

sbpoet and Lynne-Marie like this.
  17. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

Soooo many great examples!!!

18. suruha

suruha Member

Oh, my! This IS a good article! Excellent work on your examples, too! I have been art journaling for a while and have some insight that may bode well for someone else.
    As an artist, before I got into Photoshop and scrapbooking, as a platform in which to learn the program, I kept a journal. Both a written and a drawing journal. I've always had one, but, my art journal was basically just full of ideas. I suppose it was a sketchbook of sorts. But, either way, I journaled. I wrote about relationships, children, work, my disabilities, my feelings, my insanity, etc. Some days, I ranted with large bold writing; some days, I wrote in my most elegant handwriting. Some days, two or three lines; some days, full pages. Some days, I cried so hard, I couldn't see to write or draw; some days, I was so elated, I couldn't sit down at all!
    No one told me to do this or how to do it. I think I started when someone gave me one of those little bound 'My Diary' books with the little lock and key. I wrote about my first crush and pimples and all that stuff adolescent girls make a fuss about. It would be my bet that I am not alone!
    Now, just transfer this concept on to a page, but, use images AND type. Not necessarily photos, though they are fine, too. Maybe you saw an image of something that you just loved. Place it in there. A cool font you saw? Use that here. A quote? Yep, they are good to incorporate in to an artsy page. I'm sure this is no problem for many. Sharon's (sbpoet) challenge for Art Journaling this month is a fabulous way to start! That thread here! Or, on her blog, "Watermark".
    Ideas, and 'prompts', are abundant (Google 'Art Journal prompts'), as are articles like this! There are a gazillion tutorials for 'real life' Art Journaling, videos where you watch an artist sketch, paint, bray, and glue a masterpiece. I can watch those for forever! I don't have the funds for all those supplies, though. Digital works wonderful because you can change anything you want, anytime you want!
    If you aren't too keen on sharing your inner-most thoughts, simply turn that layer off before you make your copy for the gallery.
    It is my humble opinion that Art Journaling is extremely therapeutic! I have gotten up from some sessions on a particular piece, or two, totally exhausted! A good exhaustion!
    Try it!

Lynne-Marie likes this.
  19. Lynne-Marie

Bumping this thread for Scaredy Cats! ;)

Sokee, HeatherB and lou like this.
  20. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Thank you for the bump! Very informative. I found one layout that I want to scraplift. SOmetimes that helps me with a style and learn how to do it.