Silhouette Designer Edition

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by bestcee, Jun 2, 2016.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

So, in another thread it was mentioned that if you had the Silhouette designer edition you could just use the svg files.

I know what svg files are, I collected them for my last machine (Sizzix eClips).

How do they work with the Silhouette? Are they colored and you can print and cut without tracing?

Or is there another reason you like the Designer Edition? I'm debating on whether it's worth upgrading.

2. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

No they are not colored. You pull the SVG in (that is black) and turn on the cut lines in advanced settings area You then merge or manually place the colored png over that. Instant cut lines. Soooooooo much easier than tracing. I also like to change the black to transparent so that way if the cut is a teeny pit off the black won't show. I forget to do that sometimes though and want to shoot myself in the foot when I do....but I digress. I've also found it to be generally more accurate than tracing. I think its worth the upgrade as well that you can drag and drop things into silhouette. from my understanding you couldn't do that with the regular edition.

I'm guessing you might have seen this in the other thread, but here is a post I did about SVG's and it has pictures. https://the-lilypad.com/using-svgs-to-print-and-cut/

Let me know if you have any other questions. I don't know all when it comes to silhouette but I do like to try and help those who have questions.

bestcee likes this.
  3. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

I have the DE and love it. Especially the drag and drop. Although, I did an update and they moved me to the cloud version and I still need to figure out how that works! I haven't really messed with SVGS, but wanted the option just in case! If you watch they will run sales on it. I think FotoBella used to have a code occasionally where you could get it cheaper, but haven't been around the site in a long time. Watch for a sale though!

4. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

What's the best price/sale on DE?

5. bestcee

I know one of the svg places I frequent has it for 25 or 30 with a $10 gift card. Amazon I've seen it at $25. I don't know what a good price is.

As to the drag and drop, I can drag and drop from a folder onto my mat. I can also drag and drop an element from a folder into a box, but I can't move it around. Is it different in DE?

6. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

Thanks @bestcee!! If I decide to try it then I know not to spend more than $25!! I thought it was a ton more expensive than that!! Thanks :banana

KatrinaHunt13 and bestcee like this.
  7. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

$25 is good! I got mine for about that.

I think if I understand your question @bestcee the answer is yes. I can drag a png into my mat from a folder and then resize and move it all around the mat. Is that what you were asking?

8. KatrinaHunt13

25 is about the lowest I have seen

mixedclawzz and enjoyyourpix like this.
  9. bestcee

Nope. But now that I go back and read it, my question was not clear at all!

When I make planner stickers, I have a template set up with the cut lines for the box sizes that fit my planner perfectly. I open it up in the Silhouette program. Then I open the windows folder with the planner sticker .png/.jpeg files. I drag the .png over to the box and it will drop inside the box, and become the box. But I can't adjust it without moving the whole box.

I think I'm going to go ahead and grab the designer one either way since I do have a lot of .svg files! Thanks for your responses!

enjoyyourpix and KatrinaHunt13 like this.
  10. Li Li Wee

Li Li Wee I create my imagination

A question on Silhouette... If I draw a face, can it somehow trace it and cut it into a stencil for me?

KatrinaHunt13 and Lindzee like this.
  11. Kate W

Kate W And justice for all ...

You would have to scan it in to your computer first, but yes, you can do that. If you have the Pixscan mat you don't have to scan it into your computer.

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.
  12. KatrinaHunt13

@misslovescraps yes, you can. And like Kate mentioned there is the Pixscan mat, but I haven't had much luck with it. My file is always too big or something else! But I have only played with it a couple of times.

You might want to play around with line thickness, etc to get a feel for how you would need to draw it to get it to scan/cut like you want.

Uh, I CANNOT wait to see this!!!!

Li Li Wee likes this.
  13. Li Li Wee

Li Li Wee I create my imagination

@KatrinaHunt13 I don't even have a Silhouette. LOL!! I was wondering if someone could do it for me and I am willing to pay.

bestcee likes this.