Shadow Masters

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Apr 5, 2018.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I have been amazed by everyone’s shadow work in the gallery particularly from @Isa Marks @sucali @MiekSter

How do you all get it so realistic? I love the types of shadows you would see on a paper sb page but don’t quite know how to do it. I feel like i’m a shadow newbie using the same shadow styles I always have even though I have many sets and PSE 15.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    keepscrappin likes this.
  2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

One thing that really helped me is learning what shadows look like. I found several tutorials online. There may even be a TLP blog post about them. The tutorial included tips for shadowing things close to the page (i.e. stickers) versus things that stick up (i.e. flowers). Shadows (and hence, lighting) are also important in photography. So learning about them helps both your photography and your scrapping.

One simple way to start is to start noticing shadows around you. Where is the light source (or are there multiple ones)? Is the light source strong or weak? Focused or diffused? Is the shadow edge defined or blurred? Is the shadow dark or light? What does the light do the object? Does the shadow enhance or distract? What does the shadow look like if parts of the object are curled up, stuck down, etc.?

p.s. And I am still shadow newbie too!!

3. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Jennifer,

Mommyish has recently released some templates in her Dynamic shading series that have shadowing like the ladies you mentioned in the first post. These templates are an easy way to get the look without all the work. Those ladies are making custom shadows and or tweaking purchased shadow styles.

Cheryl @gonewiththewind has a tutorial on her Fiddle-Dee-Dee youtube channel that shows how to make the shadow a separate layer in PSE. Although it's done in PSE 11, the process should be pretty close if not the same in PSE 15. She also has a video on how to shadow washi tape that would be good for you to watch to learn more about shadowing. I'm not sure if you've been able to attend any of the Watch Cheryl Scrap sessions, but she often shows peeps how to customize shadows. And while she uses CC, you can learn how shadows work and apply those principles in PSE. You can watch previous WCS episodes on her WCS youtube channel.

I use PSE 14 and separate my shadows onto a separate layer. Depending on what I'm shadowing, I use different tools. Most of the time I use Cheryl's free paper warping action on papers and word strips. I've even used it on photo shadows to give them more punch. Often times, I use the smudge tool to pull out a corner or push in an area of the shadow that would be smaller because the paper or photos is tacked down by something sitting on top.

Another thing that might help you is Mommyish recently released some shadow styles and a separate the shadow action that works with those styles so PSE users can further customize their shadows.
    [​IMG]
    https://the-lilypad.com/store/stylin-263.html

gonewiththewind likes this.
  4. littlekiwi

Thanks @keepscrappin, I do try and attend most of Cheryl’s WCS as they are mid afternoon for me or I view them afterwards and I’ll definitely add the style set to my wishlist for when I get last months challenge coupon.

Believe it or not I’ve never tweaked my shadow layer styles except to put a white stroke around the photos

bestcee and keepscrappin like this.
  5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@littlekiwi Jennifer, once you split the shadow from the layer, using Mommyish's action in PSE, You can then use the smudge tool to push or pull the shadow to make it more realistic and bendy.

littlekiwi likes this.
  6. littlekiwi

Sounds like that action set is a must buy for me then.

cfile likes this.
  7. cfile

It absolutely is Jennifer. @littlekiwi .. I have PSE 15 in addition to CC and I had to get it as it is so easy with the action to split the shadow. I tried a lot of the time in PSE to move the shadow way out and then try to cut and place on seperate layer and it never worked for me... since I bought the action (it was on sale when I bought it) it is terrific. I have told many PSE users to get it. Makes life so much easier in the scrapping world :)

littlekiwi likes this.
  8. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Do they have the warp tool in PSE? I have PSE10, but I’ve never really used it since I’m a PSCC user. I always end up spending way too much time with my shadows. I usually separate the layers and then warp the shadow layer; sometimes smudging or adding a small Gaussian blur too.

cfile likes this.
  9. cfile

no warp in the transform tool in PSE Margaret. that is what I miss... I wonder if PSE Plus has it... that is the plugin ou can buy for about $15 to get PSE working with some hidden stuff to make it work more like PS CC

londoncuppa likes this.
  10. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I’ve never heard of that plugin. If I was a PSE user, I’d definitely look into that for only $15. I’m addicted to the warp tool (loveeee me some puppetwarp too). I think I have a problem...haha. Thanks for answering my question!

cfile likes this.
  11. BevG

I am a newbie, so I may have missed it, but I did not see warp listed on the Elements+ plugin. It does have some other nice features, so I may buy it. But first I have to learn PSE better.

AJK and cfile like this.
  12. cfile

I use CC but I have been thinking of getting the plugin for Elements to make it Plus.. My friend Yobeth is reviewing it monthly at another site that does tutorials .. on their blog .. she started last month. I am going to wait a bit though/

BevG likes this.
  13. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@littlekiwi I agree that Mommyish's action is a must-have. I do have the process to separate the shadow for PSE (as Kayla mentioned above), but if you have an action to go through the steps for you, then I say go for that!

As far as making realistic shadows, I'd try scraplifting some paper layout artists and then play with your shadows to mimic what they get when they photograph their pages. Every paper layout artist will have different shadows, depending on the lighting and types of elements they use. I've found that not all the shadows go the same way on a page, so I think that helped me to become less rigid in having shadows lean one way as there are often multiple light sources when viewing layouts.

jk703, cfile and bestcee like this.
  14. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

I feel very honored to be named a shadow master, I don't have a secret, I just play with the settings of the dropshadow... With a dark background I use a darker shadow, with a white or light colored background I make it lighter. I'm just doing something...
    I work in PS CC

15. BevG

Well, I did a search on the blog for "shadow" and pages of articles come up. So yeah, lots to read there on how to shadow including a recent one on the butterfly shadows by Judie that make the butterfly lift off the page.

cfile and bestcee like this.
  16. BevG

@littlekiwi - Did you see the videos that Mommyish included about her style and action? Follow the link that Kaylea posted the product and the videos are there in the store. I think I need this too.

17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This! It helps to see the layers and how the shadows fall more clearly.
    Also, look around you. At my desk is a tall book - it has a large, harder shadow. There's also a bill. It makes a much smaller, lighter in color shadow. Once you start looking at shadows, you can find ways to replicate them.

I am not a shadow master. I do mix shadow styles from different designers often, and usually that's enough for me. It helps give that different look Cheryl mentioned.

jk703 and gonewiththewind like this.
  18. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Reading this is reminding me of my art lectures on painting shadows the right colours - I'm using the default translucent black with multiply drop shadow on my layouts instead of taking the time to choose the correct shadow colour for each object - my old mentor would be horrified.

cfile likes this.
  19. cfile

@littlekiwi Jennifer, while I normally do not scrap in PSE 15, but scrap under CC.. I did do this page in PSE 15 using Mommyish's seperate shadow action .. it does help to watch Leah's video using the liquify to warp the shadow. It works really well.
    Here is my sample :
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    AJK and keepscrappin like this.
  20. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

@cfile - I'm drooling over that flower. Seriously. I was trying to figure out how in the world you achieved that look. I downloaded her action into my PSE18, but don't know what to do with it now.

cfile likes this.