Sept./Oct. Book Club: The Light Between the Oceans

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by crystalbella77, Sep 15, 2016.

1. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

For the rest of Sept and through October we will be reading and discussing "The Light Between the Oceans" by M.L. Stedman. please label spoilers or even type them in white like I just did right here (highlight that blank space) so that a person has to highlight it to read it. If I could get a sticky @gonewiththewind that would be swell!! <3 <3 ​

2. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

I have never been in a book club - but have been looking for some good reads - this book looks really good - I'm in!!

crystalbella77 likes this.
  3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

It was already stickied, so someone else must have done it, Crystal! @crystalbella77

4. crystalbella77

YAY! I am glad you can join us! this one is pretty laid back! We will just post any thoughts we have here in this thread and towards the middle of next month I will post some questions if I can find some good ones! <3 I hope you like this!

5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm #53 in line on 13 copies in my local library system, so I'm crossing fingers. :hummm

6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

just have to say @crystalbella77 typing in white is genius! i'm finishing 2 book atm and then i'll jump into this one

7. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

YES! I loved the invisible ink, secret writing in white.. Highlighting is so much easier than what Sherlock Holmes recommended to read secret writing. No spoilers from me, I promise. But if you see an invisible post - you know what to do.

scrapsandsass and crystalbella77 like this.
  8. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

I picked up my copy today - will be next on my list...
    I'm currently reading Girl with all the Gifts - it was a present, I don't usually like Zombie stories but it's not too bad. Don't think I'll bother with the movie though...

and white writing - GENIUS!

9. crystalbella77

I have this on my nightstand and excited to start! It doesn't seem too long so that helps and I adore Michael Fassbender so I hope I like the book enough to want to watch the movie ha! I have two other books (nonfiction) I have to finish for a church class and one I had borrowed from a friend to help with toddler sleep issues..haha! Then this is up!

10. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

yay! this book was soo good. Went and saw the movie opening weekend, and the movie was good, but they left out a lot of things.

I won't get into too much, but in the movie I felt more sorry for the wrong mom than I did for the right mom, but in the book I certainly felt more sorry for the right mom :)

11. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I just checked my Goodreads and I read this one back in 2014. I gave it 4 stars and though I didn't seem to like it much at the beginning, I came round. Difficult choices well told.

12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i'm starting chapter 7 - no spoilers - not sure if this was written by a fellow Aussie but some of the slang is a bit extreme, maybe back when it was set after WW1 it was more prevalent here in the language and perhaps it's more the west coast of the country (i'm east coast) but anyway, I can't help but love Tom so far

13. crystalbella77

How are you guys doing?! Busy scrapping away instead of reading probably! I am going to start this weekend...hopefully! I have had a migraine for days so I'm hoping it passes so I can start this! I am really excited about it!

bellbird likes this.
  14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i'm about half way - i quite like it - it's kind of making me appreciate lighthouses a lot more and we were planning to go down the coast next week to do a local lighthouse /cliff walk (unrelated to the book) and it's making me look fwd to that more :)

15. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

16. merank

merank Working my way through scrumdiddlyumptious bars

Kiss for Bart

17. NSmil3Anna

NSmil3Anna New Member

So excited you guys have a book thing going on over here! I'm a fanatic and the cover on this already screams READ ME!! When I typed the name into goodreads it showed me a drab lighthouse.. goes to show a book cover means so much!! Cant wait to read this!!

18. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Book covers DO matter to me too! I have been seduced by many a cover back pre internet when we had to make decisions on books without a boatload of info.

19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So the trip to the lighthouse was a bust - apparently it was closed b/c of some fire related thing and the fire brigade were there - they said didn't u see it on facebook?! um, no and it was drizzling rain and really cold for spring so we wouldn't have thought fire anything but we ended up just walking round rockpools at a nearby beach - never a bad day at the beach & DS had a cheeseburger on the way home so he still thought it was a great day!)

20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

it works both ways - sometimes i love a story and then look back at the cover and think 'meh!' We usually have different covers here than what i see on Good Reads or Amazon as well (UK English edition) so I've learned not to judge so much but it's still what draws me in for a closer look at the library