Second Monitor

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, May 8, 2017.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Having heard @gonewiththewind during one of her watch Cheryl Scrap sessions over the weekend about using a second screen for her ACDSee, it made me wonder if it was something I should consider as I find it a pain having to switch from PSE to Windows Explorer all the time. My question to anyone really is, can a second monitor be hooked up to a laptop & for those of you who do it has it been worth it? The big thing for me is if I do it, I am pretty much limited to being at my desk 100% of the time if I am scrapping where as currently I am on the kitchen table so that I am in the same room as family

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I use two monitors both with my desktop computer and with my laptop. You just have to see if there is a port for the additional monitor, but since you'll be getting a new laptop soon, I'd be willign to bet that there will be. It's super easy to set up and I literally cannot scrap with two monitors now. I love it and I think you will too.

keepscrappin and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  3. littlekiwi

Thanks @Karen - it's still probably something i'll have to save up for only cause right now I don't quite have enough money but it might be something I treat myself to for my birthday in 2 months and......well I need the laptop first!

bestcee, LoveItScrapIt and Karen like this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Totally understand. I really wish someone would invent a laptop that folds open with a 2nd screen somehow. I want a portable computer, but I want a giant screen. Lol! That's not too much to ask for is it?

5. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I use a desktop, but I have double monitors. It is HEAVEN!!!! My monitor went out last year and I had to wait about a month, I hated it. I was so happy to have two again!!!

Karen likes this.
  6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I used a laptop for a long time with two monitors . . . but I was at a desk area the entire time. Like Karen said, just make sure you have an output on your laptop.

Karen likes this.
  7. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

I can also attest to the awesomeness that is two monitors! I have Lightroom up on one and Photoshop on the other so I can just drag items from Lightroom and drop them straight onto my Photoshop canvas. No screen switching required!

Like others have said, as long as your new laptop has an output for a monitor you should be good to go! A lot of new laptops come with an HDMI output, so you could even hook it up to a big TV!

[​IMG]

8. merank

merank Working my way through scrumdiddlyumptious bars

9. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

i love my second monitor. i use one screen to scrap and the other to watch tv. or if only scrapping one screen for supplis the other for scrapping. love love!

10. littlekiwi

Thank you all, will look into it more next month when I'm back home and can see my desk again as I have a feeling it might be a tad small to keep a monitor on there full time.

11. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Same here. I have two monitors on both my laptop and desktop. You need to make sure the video card for your laptop supports multiple monitors. If it doesn't, you can always upgrade the card.

12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I used an extra monitor with my laptop. My mom does too, and her laptop is ancient - like 2009 or 2010? Like above, just check to make sure you have the right import. Oddly enough, it was harder to add a second monitor to my desktop, because I had to buy a special cord (HDMI to DVI). My laptop has a HDMI input.

If you ever see a photo of @gonewiththewind desk, she has a nifty shelf that hold her monitor off the desk to save space. There's all kinds of solutions like that around!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  13. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I love having 2 monitors on my desktop computer. When I had desktop problems many years ago, I used my laptop as my main computer and just hooked the monitor to it so I had 2 screens. Made the large monitor the main screen and the laptop the 2nd auxiliary screen. Also, I do not have a desk that I can have 2 monitors because of built in shelving (the desk is over 20 years old!) so I have a 2 drawer filing cabinet next to my desk with the 2nd monitor on it. When I scrap I use the one right in front of me and have Picasa open on the other one.

14. littlekiwi

15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

scrappyjedi and bestcee like this.
  16. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

bestcee and gonewiththewind like this.
  17. littlekiwi

@gonewiththewind & @scrappyjedi thank you, I had no idea what the connection was called or anything but I will keep it in mind for when I do have the money for it - have two smallish debts to finish paying plus i'm borrowing $230 from family to get the extended warranty so it comes down to priorities