Scanner Recommendations please

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dawninskip, Jan 18, 2018.

1. dawninskip

dawninskip Well-Known Member

My scanner is being VERY temperamental, so time to get a new one before the one I have finally gives up completely... its a Canon CanoScan5600F and up until now, it's served me well.

I need a flatbed scanner, just for documents and photo's and maybe with an extendable hinged lid for anything slightly bulkier and with a fairly good optical res. 4800-9600 dpi (ish). Don't want much do I? LOL

Any recommendations or ones to steer clear of?
    Appreciate whatever you come up with =)

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Sorry Dawn that i cannot help much. I have an HP that does fax, scan, photocopy and print and it just has a flip top so it doesn't adjust for thickness. It is an HP office jet 3830 .. it works well and not too expensive under $90 here in the states.. I think I paid $70, but the optical resolution is 1200 dpi. Sorry I couldn't help further.

3. dawninskip

Thanks Christa. There doesn't seem a great choice for flatbed on the market, but I'll keep looking =)

cfile likes this.
  4. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

We are Epson scanner people here. Our first lasted several years before it developed a couple of bad pixel spots. Have had the current one (Epson Perfection V700 Photo) for about 5 years and have been very happy with it. It wasn't cheap (on the high end of their mid-range scanners), but the quality is excellent and it has the ability to do slides and such, which was a factor for me.

5. sahlink

sahlink sahlink

I've always had good luck with my Cannon Pixmas!! LOVE the way they print, scanning comes out well.

6. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I have a Microtek i900 scanner, and I really like it, but it is quite a lot of years old now. I use it to scan my traditional layouts so that I can print them in photo books with my digital pages as gifts. I just did a search and I couldn't find a place that sells them; I guess I have had it for a very long time!

I would like to switch over to some sort of a lightbox/portable photo studio set up for my layouts, thinking it would be useful for ephemera and bulky objects, but I haven't looked much into it. The SHOTBOX looks interesting.

For documents, I use either my phone (Scanner Pro) or my Fujitsu ScanSnap (also several years old, but at least there is a newer version for sale).

I almost forgot -- I also have a Flip-Pal Scanner that does a nice job with 4x6 sized prints and documents; the only downside is I don't scan a lot of items that small (I had a very specific project when I bought it) and it uses AA batteries. It does stitching too; the nice thing about it is you can scan a book or some other item that can't be easily put on a flatbed.

7. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Do you need a scanner that scan 35mm or anything else film wise or just printed photos?

8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Have you looked at the B&H Photo Video website to see what is available?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/

I have had very good customer service using them for cameras and computer equipment.

9. dawninskip

Thanks so much for your feedback - I'll look into a few of your options.
    I'm in the UK, so if not a UK based store, or Amazon, it's a no go.
    For bulky stuff, I use either my phone or camera.

Timmi @bbymks5 Just documents/ephemera and older photo's. I don't have a need for negative scanning. The high res is key though.

10. Kate

Kate The Doctor's new companion

I have the Epson Perfection V600 Photo @dawninskip and I like it! I don't scan anything bulky with it though.

11. sabrinavc

sabrinavc Designer

I also have the Epson perfection, just another version, V370 photo and it works fine.

12. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

I swear by HP. Have never had any troubles. Right now I have the HP Deskjet 2546 but it cannot take bulky stuff. Hope you have good luck in finding exactly what you need, Dawn.

13. dawninskip

@Kate Does it take A4? Could be a fit and I can get it on Amazon.

And that can take A4 also @sabrinavc ?

Thanks ladies, I'll take a look into these =)

14. sabrinavc

sabrinavc Designer

[QUOTE="And that can take A4 also @sabrinavc ?QUOTE]

yes it can :)

15. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I have a Canon Pixma MG6220. Many years old. It's a printer-scanner combination. The scanner part stopped communicating with my iMac (or vice versa) a few years ago, but fortunately has a USB port, so I can still scan to a thumb drive. It has a few resolution settings and I've been happy with everything I've scanned. It has a flexible lid for bulkier items like my high school journal, so I can use my high school journal writing in layouts like this one. I'm not sure it's fabulous for printing photos, but I rarely do that, I order from Blurb or Shutterfly, so I didn't care about photo quality printing.

I had a disappointing experience with my Mom's HP printer-scanner on my vacation earlier this month. I had hoped to scan a bunch of old photos but they were coming out very poor quality. Splotchy, like the photos from the selfie camera on a iPhone 4S. And I couldn't find a way to change any settings so I couldn't pick a higher resolution. I'm sure not all HP scanners are poor, of course, and I'm sorry I don't know exactly which one it is. It is several years old, I'm sure, because she uses her devices a long time.

In general, at least from when I researched several years ago, I have the impression Canons are better quality. Things can change though. Good luck in your search!

16. dawninskip

17. bbymks5

Hubby said to look into the Epson v600; I know the US Amazon has them, are you able to order from our site?

https://epson.com/For-Home/Scanners/Photo-Scanners/Epson-Perfection-V600-Photo-Scanner/p/B11B198011
    https://www.amazon.com/Epson-Perfec...TF8&qid=1516385314&sr=8-2&keywords=epson+v600

18. dawninskip

Thanks Timmi @bbymks5 - I can order from Amazon UK. I'll look into them =)

bbymks5 likes this.
  19. bbymks5

You're welcome!! They have model that's even higher, but the jump in the price is insane!

20. dawninskip

I know Timmi @bbymks5 - I don't need to pay for all the bells & whistles, just a high res scanner for documents etc.
    Thank you again!

bbymks5 likes this.