Safety Pins...do you know what they are? or what they're for?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by cookingmylife, Sep 7, 2017.

1. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Having just done a layout about a safety pin I recently found, I asked a friend of mine if she had any and as she sews, her answer was yes. But seriously...do you have any? and please do tell me what YOU use them for! I was stumped trying to remember using them - decades ago.

[​IMG]

bestcee, enjoyyourpix and bbymks5 like this.
  2. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

Cute page!!

I fluxuate in sizes, so I use a lot of safety pins to cinch up the waistline of my pants, fake hems for when I'm wearing flats, then unpin them when I'm wearing heels. I use them to hold the waistline if my button is gone and I haven't sewn another one in. I used to use them for nail art before I got my nail art pens. We also use them in crafty things, making bracelets, beaded pins to act like buttons, little animals that you pin together the felt with the pins and then hand them out.

My daughter had this really long hole in her favorite pair of jeans and was devastated, we used a BUNCH of safety pins to hold the hole together so she could wear it the rest of the year. It was like a fashion statement and was pretty cool. I've used it on Halloween costumes too to hold things in place. :D

3. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I love safety pins!! I use them to keep the dreaded gap at bay on button up shirts...I can't size up b/c then they' just too baggy on me. I have to use a safety pin to keep the belt to Sonnet's Darth Vader costume together.

I want to try "rusting" some to use on craft projects.

4. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

@Serena I've had to use them on buttons on pants too...I totally forgot about that LOL!!! It's all fun and games until it comes undone and pokes you in the belly though :)

5. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

We have a bunch... a must in Clara's dance performance case. They're always using them to "fix" a costume or make something stay down on stage. But outside of dance, I don't know that we've used them for anything else in quite a while!

Oh... I used to use them to thread hoodie strings back through since my kids were always pulling them out!

6. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Safety pins are awesome. I always have some lying around, you never know what they might be good for

Another thing they are great for is threading (not sure if this is the correct word) a rubber band through the seam of pants, like PJs or so.
    Oh, just read @tkradtke 's post, that's basically the same thing...

enjoyyourpix and cfile like this.
  7. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I use them with quilting when I want to keep layers together.
    on my shirts when the buttons don't do their job and the shirt opens where you don't want it too.

cfile and bellbird like this.
  8. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I use them for pretty much all the same things - quilting, threading elastic in waistbands, zippers that don't stay up, missing buttons and threaded beads on them for a decorative effect.

enjoyyourpix and cfile like this.
  9. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I used to sew, many moons ago and I've got a little drawer full of them, various sizes. I'd use them to pin things together if I was trying things on and didn't want to get stuck (during the assembly process). And as Barbara mentioned, they work well for quilting. They make a decent bodkin to pull a cord thru a garment (think hoodie). I've seen people make jewelry with them, but mine just live in the closet in the little drawer.

cfile likes this.
  10. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Yep I use them for quilting and emergency repairs. I have bunches of them. It seemed like when I use to do a lot of crafting I used them a lot more.

cfile likes this.
  11. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

I don't know about the original use, but yes, I have some as I am a sporadic sewer. I use them for all sorts of things but don't have a specific purpose to share at the moment.

About 40 years ago they would have been used for cloth diapers, although modern cloth diapers have velcro.

12. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

@mollyc

Well, about 26 years ago I used them for ds's cloth diapers. They were bigger and had cute duck shaped heads. They still hurt when you jabbed yourself with one.

I used them for all the reasons listed and still do from time to time.

Ah, just thought of another use. I frequented and participated in an used clothing sale where you had to pin shorts and pants to a wire hanger in order to sell them. I never did that at home, but that is what they wanted for the sale.

13. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I have a bunch! The primary use over the last several years has been to temporarily fasten/alter oversized clothes for my kids when they needed ad hoc costumes for school activities. Last time I sent a bunch of extras with DD for a choir concert where they had a couple of costume changes. She was quite the hero passing them out backstage to other girls who were less prepared. :giggle

cfile likes this.
  14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

so i think your originalquestion has many answers already and i'd echo many of them. My problem is never finding a safety pin when i want one, but paper clips...i have a million, like everywhere and can't even think of a single time i used one (that wasn't digi on a layout!) other than unfolding it to have a long thin bit of wire occassionally, cos i tend to staple everything i can't safety pin ;)

Meredith78, cfile and KarenW like this.
  15. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

I use them all the time to mark beginning of pattern rows in my knitting. I have such a hard time trying to find quality ones now that don't just bend when you look at them.

Meredith78 and cfile like this.
  16. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I use them to hold things together. Keep them in your purse for emergency if a piece of clothes rips or you have that blouse that the buttonhole is just a little bit big and so you safety pin the material so it doesn't pop open.

17. cookingmylife

I forgot about that one!

18. cookingmylife

Yes, I used those plastic covered ones - somehow mostly yellow if I remember correctly - for cloth diapers on my two boys. No other type back then!

bestcee likes this.
  19. cookingmylife

I am a treasurer for a group and I use paperclips (plastic coated ones from the $ store) to clip 10 $1 bills together for the treasurer for the main org. I had them on my window sill and this week (after about 10 years...) a strong wind blew the glass container off the sill. I swept them all up with the broken glass bits and now I have to go spend another dollar! bwahaha

bestcee and enjoyyourpix like this.
  20. cookingmylife

Thank you all for giving me a bunch of chuckles! Maybe I'll spend another dollar at the $ store and get some safety pins. :giggle

enjoyyourpix likes this.