Really Spooky | Pad Patter 10.19.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Oct 19, 2017.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

In the 'spirit' of this month, are you a total believer in the supernatural things that are prevalent around Halloween like aliens, zombies, ghosts etc or are you a bit skeptical?
    Have you experienced a real spooky event that's made you a believer?

I lean towards the skeptic side (I'm more Scully than Mulder, if we use the XFiles extremes as a sliding scale). I'm more accepting of the possibility life on other planets though, than ghosts and paranormal things here (that doesn't make me any less scared when those things show up in movies!) I loved the XFiles but in a fiction/conspiracy way and haven't had anything happen that could convince me otherwise, not that I frequent 'haunted houses' or anything...

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm an open minded skeptic. I mean, I doubt supernatural things are real, but I'm open to the idea. We're far from understanding everything, so anything's possible!

One thing about the examples you listed though . . . I don't consider aliens supernatural. Defined simply as beings from another planet, I would be surprised if there are none. I believe very strongly that we can't be the only life in this universe.

I enjoyed X-Files too. And now the show Supernatural. But mostly as entertainment, not because I have much belief in any of it.

However, I think it would be AWESOME if magic were a real thing, like in Harry Potter. My favorite spell would be apparating so I could visit my parents who live 3000 miles away. And to avoid traffic and get places faster. :D

bellbird and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Total Scully here... and I love the reference to Xfiles. Love that show! I'm eagerly awaiting the next season and praying it's better than the last season of the reboot.

bellbird likes this.
  4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Hmmm.... ok. I'm probably weird. I am a believer, though all year round, and would love to experience or see more things - only if they were good things, non-violent, and less on the scary side. :giggle I believe, so in my mind, there are two sides, good and bad. I only want to see/feel/know the good side... but I'm totally intrigued by the other side. Way back when, I totally wanted to be able to be a Ghost Whisperer! :P

In college, 2 roommates and I were living together in a refurbished building on the second floor, there had previously been a fire in the laundromat below. We all had heard rumors that someone had passed there, but never found any information or actual articles on a death at that location.

We had a front bay window that overlooked a corner. Every window opened and closed like a book, not up and down, and all were most were shut daily unless it was super warm out. (It was a drafty/cooler apartment.) Constantly, we would find all the windows unlatched and wide open. Even right after we closed them, go into the kitchen, come back out to the LR and the windows would be wide open. It happened so often, we started reprimanding the ghost, lol, and named him Harry. (I have no clue why). After that, it happened more in the summer and less in the winter. So weird.

Our apartment was on the second floor, so I went in the private front door, closed it/locked it, and then went up a set of stairs and there was another glass door. I then closed the glass door. It had a sticky part from the paint, but still worked well with a slight tug or push. Then, I went into the bedroom, changed and decided to read/maybe nap. As I was getting sleepy, and just going to close my eyes, I hear the downstairs door open, and close loudly. I hear someone coming up the steps, heavier steps than normal, and the movement/noise when the the glass door is being opened. I called my roommate, and no response. I called again, nothing. I get up. Go out there, (of course, the windows are open), find the glass door closed, so I check the bedrooms and deck. No one upstairs. I get a little nervous, go check the stairwell, no one there. Run down, check the door, still locked. Look outside, no one around. I head back up, and head into my room. About 15 minutes later, it all starts again, but different. I jump... and find my roommate at the glass door - I had scared her, lol! Such a weird experience.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Christina W, cfile and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  5. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I'm a open minded believer. I haven't had any true personal experiences that I can't explain but this world is big and there are things that even the smartest Scientist can't explain. I also believe we can't be the ONLY intelligent life out here.

Meredith78 likes this.
  6. Meredith78

Meredith78 Well-Known Member

I am a believer...or at least, I believe there are things we can't explain, such as the way Stonehenge makes all the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I try not to dig too deeply into it because some of those things absolutely terrify me.

7. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that life exists outside of Earth but I don't believe in stereotypical aliens nor am I worried that they're coming to kill us all anytime soon. :p

I definitely do not believe in ghosts or the paranormal or anything like that. The reason I don't do scary is not because I believe in that stuff but because I know my imagination will grab hold of those images & stories and run amok with it in my dreams.

8. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

Open minded skeptic here. There is so much in the world that's unexplainable & so much left to still learn.

I have had a minor "ghost" experience in our farm house. It's been in our family for over 100 years, so if there are ghosts at least they are family! HA! So the experience was, there are just a couple rooms upstairs. Mine is one & my sister's old room is another. It's an old house with quirks & each door pretty much has it's own sound when closing them. So I was in my bed reading & I think I hear my dad come home late at night, (their bedroom is downstairs). Then a few minutes later I hear the sound of my sister's door. So I'm wondering what my dad is doing. Wait a few minutes. Then decide to investigate. My sister's door is latched, so I open it & look in, then pull it all the way closed & latch it again. (Being sure to note the sound in my head again). Then I head downstairs to see if in fact my dad was home. He was & he heard that noise too. It was weird. So then I go back upstairs. Check the door one more time. (And when her door is shut, it's shut! It can't just blow open or move like mine, lol). Then I go lay down again. A few minutes later we both hear the same sound of her door opening. Strange.

LoveItScrapIt and Christina W like this.
  9. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I am definitely a believer ... I am not going to rehash, however Friars Kirkyard in Scotland (and I did scrap it) definitely proved it to me. Even my husband says it and he is so skeptical of everything - LOL.

In Scotland was my latest incident and that was in 2015
    .... these others are prior.

I think my parents or loved ones are around me. Not too long after we moved in here in 1999 my father came for Thanksgiving. My brother and sister in law were on their way driving. My father was sitting in the kitchen & I went into the bathroom. When I got in the bathroom I smelled this "sweet" sort of smell that reminded me of my Grandmother, his Mom. I did what I needed to do and came out to the kitchen and I said to Dad, Grandma is here. He thought I was crazy. Then about an hour or two went by and my brother arrives. He goes upstairs to that bathroom and then after he does what he needs to , he comes into the kitchen and said to me (with Dad right there) How did you do that? I said what? He said, I smelled Grandma! I looked at Dad and we both laughed. 2 different bathrooms and the sweet smell was there for only the two of us to recognize. I guess she was checking out the house too :) My father thought my brother and I were nuts but it was so funny. I have not smelled that again. I thought hmmm she had emphesema and used an inhaler, Dad too uses an inhaler, that must be it, but nope. I use an inhaler now too (as needed) and Grandma is never here. LOL So I do know it was her. She told me when I was a kid that she wanted to be cremated and if we didn't do what she wanted she would come back and haunt us. I was little and said oh good then we will still see you after!! LOL We did what she wanted but maybe she was coming to visit us again.

Also 2 years ago I was away on vacation with a friend of mine. My Dad had already been gone 2 years, and I was having a rough time as where we were staying was only 45 minutes from where he had lived. My friend and I were sitting at the bar talking about that. It was only her and I enjoying a drink. There was no one behind the bar as the bartender stepped away and we were the only ones there. As we were sitting there chatting a glass that was hung from the slider above us on the bar side all of a sudden flew off and onto the floor crashing and braking.. just ONE glass. I said to my friend, it must have been Dad wanting to join us. There was absolutely NO ONE around so I know it was something.

Then my Mother in law at her memorial came back. I was standing with my sister- in-law at a railing at a restaurant. My husband and his sister and his aunt were up in the plane and were going to fly over and spread her ashes into the lake. As they flew over we would throw roses into the lake below. So my sister in law & I are standing next to each other thisclose . I have the nurses keys in one pocket and my husband's nokia cell phone in the pocket that is between us. again we are thisclose. LOL so here goes the plane. We throw the roses that do not end up in the lake and all of a sudden I realize the phone is missing. The keys are still in the other pocket but the cell phone that was in the pocket between my sister in law and I is gone. I asked her if she saw it she said no. So now I am panicked. There was a 10 foot drop with rocks and all and now I go down to look for the phone. - I finally found the cell phone, just layed on the rock as if someone placed it there and the face was lit up. A 10 foot drop on to bolders of rock should have smashed it to smitherines. Nope it was perfect. Since I was down there I grabbed the roses off the edge of the lake that missed the water and placed them in there. I know it was my brother in law and my Mother in law. (My sister in law standing next to me had lost her husband the year before.) I know darn well my MIL said to him they didn't get the flowers in the lake, and he said don't worry Mom I will take care of this and grabbed the phone. Until the day I die I will always believe this as my SIL didn't see the phone fly out of my pocket either. The phone was the old Nokia;s which were heavier and the keys that were just in the pocket should have flown out as there were no obstacles and very light weight.

I like the friendly ones and those are the ones that visit me :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  10. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I'm not sure I believe in aliens like they are portrayed on tv but I don't know that it's totally out of the question that there is life on other planets.

I am a believer in supernatural things. And, not just around Halloween either. We've had some weird things happen here. Not scary. Just not normal. I remember when I was pregnant with my daughter I was walking away from my bathroom sink and knocked a red solo cup into the sink with my elbow. I was too lazy to pick it up and told myself I'd come and get it later. Well, when I came back into the bathroom a bit later the cup was sitting on the counter. I was the only one home.

Also, my kids have seen things in the home. When they were both really little they insisted on having every door closed. They hated being in their rooms alone because they would see things.

You know when you are sleeping and you wake up because you can feel someone staring at you? Well, that happens to me quite often here. It is always the same face outline, too. Like an old farmer in a trucker hat. Scares the crap out of me but is generally harmless.

jk703 and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

12. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

13. Christina W

Christina W Well-Known Member

I believe 100% in ghosts and spirits, although if I had not experienced them myself I would definitely be in the skeptic camp. I house-sat for a colleague whose old house was haunted (she didn't tell me ahead of time....but did admit it to me afterward).

Many times I would come down to the old kitchen and find all the cabinet doors open. I would close them and go about my business. When I returned to the kitchen, they were ALL open again. And they had proper latches and everything.

When I was up in the bedroom, I heard the heavy footsteps of my husband coming up the stairs, and I called out to him. But there was no one there. That happened several times and it was truly uncanny because the sounds were really loud, sounded like heavy boots on the stair treads, and occurred right outside the bedroom door.

The last straw was waking up in the middle of the night and seeing a large man in a sort of workman's uniform from the 30s or 40s standing at the foot of the bed looking at me. He disappeared. But that was the LAST night I spent in that house - I will tell you that!

My colleague was gone for a whole month, but after the first two days, all I did was dash in once a day to feed her fish and then dash out again!

14. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I don't have any stories to share but I do believe there is something more out there. Whether they interact with us is what I'm unsure of. I also believe there is probably life on other planets but don't think we'll ever interact with them. I find it hard to believe that we would be the only ones here. Why just us? Why not others too? Right?

15. LoveItScrapIt

That would have been my last night there too....creepy!!!!!!

16. jk703

Dude. Kids freak me out sometimes. Colin occasionally gets night terrors. When he does, he freaks out, does this fast tapping motion thing, sits, jumps up and sometimes paces and looks behind me (of course, always behind me!!!) and then says things to me in a whisper, (sometimes with his hands on my face cupping my cheeks). I get freaked and look behind me for the boogeyman. I know he's sleeping, but there have been times when he has woken, and still looks toward the spot he was freaked about. That make me think there might be something there I can't see. gulp.

Oh boy... a farmer voyeur! :giggle Talk about someone staring at you - how about a 3 year old. Shayne was 3, and apparently woke up one night. He stood in front on my face staring at me in bed sleeping. I felt it, woke up, yelped... which in turn made him yelp, cry and run to Peter's side. He taught his younger brother to go to Dad's side and neither wakes me up. :compcoffee (oops, but man, that worked in my favor!)

17. jk703

Totally relate to these! :giggle

18. LoveItScrapIt

19. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

20. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Open-minded skeptic...but there's so much smoke and mirrors that it's hard to tell.