Question on Creative Framing

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by tsendi, Apr 17, 2018.

1. tsendi

tsendi New Member

There is a tutorial link in the "Why It Works" section for Creative Framing by Judie. In the first step, Judie writes...

Spillover Steps:

(1) Start by placing the frame on the page. Then add a clipping mask underneath it cut to fit the inside frame opening.

I'm not quite sure what Judie means by the second sentence...then add a clipping mask underneath it to cut to fit the inside frame opening...

I use PSE 13. How would I do that? Thank you for your help.

Christine

2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Hi Christine - I don't have PSE 14 - maybe someone that does will give steps specifically for your software but these tutorials may help with the clipping mask concept.

Cipping masks are huge for us digi scrappers - so it's great to learn what they are and how to use them. Basically they are a shape that something else - like a patterned paper or a photo gets "clipped" to so that paper or photo takes on the original shape. It's like digital scissors - our way of getting things sized down on the digital canvas!

tutorials that may help:
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/how-to-use-clipping-masks-summer-school-week-3.43803/
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/video-tutorial-clipping-masks.32587/

3. tsendi

tsendi New Member

Thank you for these resources. I'll check them out. I'm just not sure what she means by cut to fit the inside frame opening.

4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I have PSE 14 and the steps would be the same in PSE 13. There are a couple of ways to do it. Let me know if you still need help with this after looking at the links Jenn posted.

5. jenn mccabe

did you watch Jen's video? it will help understand how to clip.

basically what the spill over tutorial is saying - is make a square that fits the inside shape of your frame.
    so use a reactangle marquee tool or your rectangle shape tool and make a rectangle that fits under the frame - but is not showing past the edges.
    that rectangle layer (or shape) goes under the frame layer.
    then sandwiched between the frame layer (frame needs to be on top) and rectangle shape layer (this needs to be on the very bottom of this stack) ... will be the photo. the photo will be clipped to the reactangle shape you made. It's like cutting the photo into a rectangle digitally.

the video will explain how to do it. it's an awesome thing to learn!

6. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@tsendi - is this the blog post tutorial you're asking about?
    https://the-lilypad.com/creating-spillover-effects-with-paint-elements/

If so,
    1. make a new layer under your frame.
    2. Use your rectangular marquee tool (the dotted rectangle) to select the area where the photo would go inside the frame. I like to select a little overlapping the frame just to make sure I get everything. You will have marching ants around the area.
    3. While on your new layer with the marching ants, use the short cut keys ctrl backspace to fill the selection with a color. It doesn't matter what the color is. You just need to fill the selection to make the shape. This is the clipping mask.
    4. Then continue with the tutorial.

I have to run some errands right now, but can add screens shots later if you need. Just let me know.

7. jenn mccabe

Here's a screen shot of what we are talking about from the Spill over tutorial :

framemasklayers.png
    What she calls the Frame Mask is what we are saying with "make a rectangle shape". See how it is at the bottom of the stack. Then the photo is sandwiched in the middle. She has the Frame (and a Frame Shadow - but you don't have to worry about that layer right now) as her top layer.

The photo is "clipped" or "cut" to the frame mask/rectangle. (this is the basis for how all template work in the world of digi scrapping ... and there's so much more you can do with it!).

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. jenn mccabe

And then once you get the basic frame/photo/maks/rectangle clipping part figured out ... you can take it a step further to get the spillover look. If you go back to the tutorial on the blog and look near the botom where she has her layers panel ... she has 3 Paint Element layers. A copy of the Photo sits above each Paint Element layer. Each photo copy is "clipped" or "cut" to the paint layer belwo it ... making the photo take on the shape of the paint. The painty effect sits ontop of her frame.

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. tsendi

tsendi New Member

Thanks for your responses. I'll try this tonight when I get to my computer.

bestcee likes this.